+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Hardware Thread, Acer Laptops - Repair a FAILED BIOS Update in Technical; Acer... enough said....
    Thank Post
    Acer... enough said.

Thank Post
    I made an account just to write this, since I found the thread helpful but lacking info on my exact model. I had two Acer laptops, different models but very similar (5252 and 5742Z), that bricked. They both exhibit the same behaviour exactly, turning them on lights the blue power LED in the top left but the screen remains off. The HDD light never even blinks. The CD/DVD drive will seem to check for a disk but would not load anything, even bootable stuff. External monitor showed no signal. It would remain in this state forever if you let it, sometimes the fan seemed to blow a bit but since nothing was doing anything I suppose there was little heat. Clearing excess charge had no effect.

5 minutes later and the 5252 is back and good as ever. Here is what I did, as detailed as possible though I don't know what matters and what doesn't:

1. Got a USB stick (16GB Maxell), quick formatted to FAT32 in Windows 8.1.
    2. Downloaded "Firmware_bios_Acer_Aspire_5010-5253G.rar", extracted just XEWxx214.FD from the DOS directory of the 5252 BIOS package.
    3. Copied that and only that to the USB.
    4. Removed battery, all cables including power, and any disc from the DVD drive. Stuck the USB in the right-hand port farthest from the screen.
    5. Held down Fn and Esc keys while I put the AC power cord back in. Pressed power, still holding the keys down, then released them a few seconds after that.

That was all I did. The fan came on fully, and the light on my USB stick showed activity. Screen stayed dead. After about 10 seconds, it turned off and I said "fuck" and took a drink. Then it came on and did the same thing again, USB flashing again. Then it rebooted and I was staring at the BIOS screen and moments later the bootloader. Seems I have a lot of updates to install.

So now I am going to try the same thing (different drivers) with the 5742Z. When it was given to me it was already a brick, they had taken in to a shop and been told first that the screen was dead, and then after buying a new screen (I have that too) they were told the motherboard was dead. If this one is indeed dead, does anyone know what I could do with the screen?

Thank Post
    Hi Psy,
    i dont understand the burining procedure:
    which files you need to burn? only file.fd?
    with which burning software?
    what options you have to use for burning?

I tried it with black and option cd-rom udf-iso but it did not work

thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    Hi,

Well my GF's Acer Aspire 5720 doesn’t always connect to the router at home, so I guessed it was the wireless drivers, as my iPhone and sisters laptop always connect fine.

After an update, which didn’t solve the problem, I thought I would try a BIOS update, V1.17 to V1.42 - quite an upgrade.

Well the winFlash file opened, erased the bios, then failed on "VALIDATE FAILED" error AFTER ERASING THE BIOS FFS!

Press the power button, hard drive cycles continuously, screen doesn’t turn on, it was a brick.

After some reading I found something quite fantastic, if your laptop has a PHOENIX BIOS, you can do the following to revive it from being a brick.

1. Download the BIOS from the manufacturer’s site, preferably the version that worked originally.
    2. Burn ONLY the .FD file to the CD.
    3. Remove the Battery and Power Cable from the laptop.
    4. Open the CD Drive with a Pin (Push a pin into the hole on the drive to force an eject)
    5. Put the CD with the original .FD BIOS file into the drive.
    6. Hold the FN and ESCAPE keys down.
    7. Plug the MAINS LEAD ONLY into the laptop.
    8. Press the power button whilst still holding the keys.
    a. This will FORCE the computer to load the .FN file from the CD and write it to the BIOS of the machine.
    9. The laptop will power up, you can release the keys; leave the laptop for 20-30 minutes if needed.
    10. The computer will turn itself off once complete.
    11. Re-insert the battery, power on the laptop.
    12. It works
    a. In my case – Happy GF.

I tried the version that failed the update on my laptop first, and it did not install, I downloaded the 1.19 version (closest I could find for my BIOS to 1.17 [original]) and it worked.

Hope this works for anyone that experiences this problem, thought it was a pretty awesome fix, and worth people knowing.

Read also that you can do this with desktop PC’s if you hold CTRL and Escape when pressing the power button, but don’t want to create the problem just to fix it.

Regards,
    Psy
    Hi Psy,
    i dont understand the burining procedure:
    which files you need to burn? only file.fd?
    with which burning software?
    what options you have to use for burning?

I tried it with black and option cd-rom udf-iso but it did not work

thanks

Thank Post
    hmmm i made an bios update for battery 3 to 5¨% alert but after that my computer rund dead i did all options but it eve read cd usb sticks or anything else my computers is like he dont know he is a computer cause of the bios update so its bricked its a laptop aspire 5740 i have trying already the wincris crisis disk but if i dont see any activity when i run the files on failed laptop it does nothing then only give offline screen power that shutdown after 1 min goes back on for 5 sec turn back off en then on for ever but the fn + esc ddint work and ctrl + esc either

any oher options ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234