+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Acer Laptops - Repair a FAILED BIOS Update in Technical; Originally Posted by Psymon Just had a go, downlaoded the 1.45 BIOS for the Aspire 5720. Insize the ZIP were ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    Just had a go, downlaoded the 1.45 BIOS for the Aspire 5720. Insize the ZIP were 2 files.

BIOS_v1.45.exe
    Readme.txt

Using WinRAR i unzipped the BIOS_v1.45.exe and inside it was the following.

CL50145A.fd (File you are after)
    InsydeFlash.exe
    iscflash.dll
    iscflash.sys
    iscflashx64.sys
    platform.ini

Using my solution above you should just have to burn ONLY the CL50145A.fd to a CD-R.

If you are struggling to get the FD file still just PM me your email address and the laptop model, ill get the FD file over to you in a ZIP.

Si
    i got an acer aspire 5570, it has the same problem (flashing bios failed). i have downloaded the .zip file for the bios update but i don't see any .fd extension file name, just the .wph file extension= well i thought this file is something it's the largest along the bios.bak. i need your help , my email address is cyberfangs_demon (yahoo)..

Thank Post
    Hi,

i had the same issue with bricking my Acer 5741G (x64 arch.). Something went wrong during installation from Windows 7, thus i had terrible experience looking for a solution. Non of posts in this forum helped, but after spending ~4 hours investigating and searching for a solution i found a reply in some another forum (somewhere in mydigitallife.info forums) about Acer 5741G and BIOS problem.

The solution was such:
    1. Download latest (of earlier if latest BIOS version doesn't work) BIOS version for your laptop from ACER support portal (i've used worldwide portal)
    2. Find file *.fd in DOS directory
    3. Rename file name to NEW70X64.fd and copy it to USB or CD/DVD (only one file should be in the media)
    4. Remove battery and power cord from laptop, press and hold FN+ESC, plug in power cord and press power button still holdin FN+ESC keys (for a few seconds).

The trick i missed everywhere else was to rename file name to NEW70X64.fd. It worked for me as after few minutes bricked BIOS was replaced with NEW70X64.fd and i had BIOS unbricked and working perfectly.

NB Use this tip for your own risk, it might work only for x64 architecture as file name has "X64" string in it.

3. Thanks to Bion from:

atmanobal (3rd May 2012)

Thank Post

Bios Acer 5720 z

Hi everyone!

I hope you help me. I have a laptop Acer 5720 z, and I tried flash bios ('cause the laptop have a problem with ventilators and I'd supposed it was for old version bios) I've used the method to copy .fd file in USB flash stick, plug this in laptop, hold Fn+Esc keys down, connect power cable and press power button... However USB flash and CD-lector only blink.

I'll try others methods, but if someone have the same problem (with this laptop model) I'd be grateful his response.

5. Thanks to lah49jac from:

atmanobal (3rd May 2012)

Thank Post

BIOS update failed on Acer 5652WMLi

Dear Members,

I have recently revived an old but functional Acer Aspire 5652WMLi and stupidly used the winflash option to update the BIOS to the latest version. Needless to say it failed part way through and I now have a bricked Acer!

Hopefully all is not lost, as the laptop does start up and accesses the CDROM drive but I cannot use any of the methods described on this site due to not having the .FD file. It seems that Acer no longer support or provide the old DOS version of BIOS updates as the oldest version I can find on their website is V2.20 which only contains the winflash and .WPH files.

I would be very grateful if any member of this forum is able to help

Regards

Dowksey

Thank Post
    Dear members

I'm sorry to trouble you, and i wonder if you can help me. Yesterday i opened my laptop ( acer aspire 5920g, windows 7 ) and when i pressed the On/Off button , the screen was black but the laptop was working. I made some search on the internet , and i found out that maybe it is a Bios Problem. So I wanted to updated the bios, so in order to do it i tried to find the .fd file from the acer site.
    But there werent any.

To boot from a flash driver , does it have to be fat or fat 32.

(If you can give me more tips about the process , it would be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance.

My email is gouvanis@yahoo.gr

Thank Post
    Hi,

Well my GF's Acer Aspire 5720 doesn’t always connect to the router at home, so I guessed it was the wireless drivers, as my iPhone and sisters laptop always connect fine.

After an update, which didn’t solve the problem, I thought I would try a BIOS update, V1.17 to V1.42 - quite an upgrade.

Well the winFlash file opened, erased the bios, then failed on "VALIDATE FAILED" error AFTER ERASING THE BIOS FFS!

Press the power button, hard drive cycles continuously, screen doesn’t turn on, it was a brick.

After some reading I found something quite fantastic, if your laptop has a PHOENIX BIOS, you can do the following to revive it from being a brick.

1. Download the BIOS from the manufacturer’s site, preferably the version that worked originally.
    2. Burn ONLY the .FD file to the CD.
    3. Remove the Battery and Power Cable from the laptop.
    4. Open the CD Drive with a Pin (Push a pin into the hole on the drive to force an eject)
    5. Put the CD with the original .FD BIOS file into the drive.
    6. Hold the FN and ESCAPE keys down.
    7. Plug the MAINS LEAD ONLY into the laptop.
    8. Press the power button whilst still holding the keys.
    a. This will FORCE the computer to load the .FN file from the CD and write it to the BIOS of the machine.
    9. The laptop will power up, you can release the keys; leave the laptop for 20-30 minutes if needed.
    10. The computer will turn itself off once complete.
    11. Re-insert the battery, power on the laptop.
    12. It works
    a. In my case – Happy GF.
    Psy, should the name for .FD file be matter? Or you just copied the .FD file from zip-file without any name changes?

I have the same notebook and the same problem , i.e., failed bios update. I found that I can power up the notebook using the recipe you so nicely described. Yes, it tries to access media. However, nothing happens. Some people on other forums say that the name of the rom-file might be important, i.e., there might be some convention on under what name this file must be present on media. Some say this name is depends on the model of the notebook. Could you answer what name did you use when burn the rom-file (*.FD) on CD and what is your model no. engraved on bottom of the notebook under "Aspire 5720 Series"? Mine no. is ICL50.

I tried to contact the ACER Support, but could not get any useful information from them in this regard. They response was to read README files inside zip-files. However, none of zip-files, at least for this model, has any information on how update bios using crisis recovery procedure described here. Tho only information those README file inside zip-files contain is on how to update BIOS under normal conditions using DOS or Windows.

Does somebody reading this discussion get such an information from ACER? Maybe owners of different models were lucky to get an instruction of this sort inside zip-files with bios updates for their models? Please, respond if you lucky to get such an instruction.

Regards,
    uncle_joe
    Last edited by uncle_joe; 23rd June 2011 at 06:53 AM.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_joe View Post
    Psy, should the name for .FD file be matter? Or you just copied the .FD file from zip-file without any name changes?

I have the same notebook and the same problem , i.e., failed bios update. I found that I can power up the notebook using the recipe you so nicely described. Yes, it tries to access media. However, nothing happens. Some people on other forums say that the name of the rom-file might be important, i.e., there might be some convention on under what name this file must be present on media. Some say this name is depends on the model of the notebook. Could you answer what name did you use when burn the rom-file (*.FD) on CD and what is your model no. engraved on bottom of the notebook under "Aspire 5720 Series"? Mine no. is ICL50.

I tried to contact the ACER Support, but could not get any useful information from them in this regard. They response was to read README files inside zip-files. However, none of zip-files, at least for this model, has any information on how update bios using crisis recovery procedure described here. Tho only information those README file inside zip-files contain is on how to update BIOS under normal conditions using DOS or Windows.

Does somebody reading this discussion get such an information from ACER? Maybe owners of different models were lucky to get an instruction of this sort inside zip-files with bios updates for their models? Please, respond if you lucky to get such an instruction.

Regards,
    uncle_joe
    I have a bricked Acer Aspire 5720 (also ICL50) which I am trying to flash as we speak, the BIOS file I got from the Acer site is v1.45. Having unzipped the BIOS_v1.45.zip file, you can then unzip the executable file to get the .FD in this case it is CL50145A.FD.

I'm hoping this is going to work, otherwise I have bricked a friends laptop trying to upgrade the BIOS using the crappy InsydeFlash Windows utility (this machine was still running BIOS v1.06). It's been sitting here flashing the hard drive light for 25 minutes now and no signs of life so far :-(

Regards,
    TH.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Failed BIOS is repairable exactly as psymon described. If it doesn't work, ring acer for the appropriate media to reflash the ROM from boot up. Mast cost about £10 but it will flash it back to what it shipped with, then you can shi the flashing again.

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

When I performed this I used the 1.42 version (and i have also tested the 1.45). If there is no .FD file then i am afraid i cannot help you.

I left the laptop for about 20 minutes (Optical drive flashing away) and eventually it restarted itself and booted up.

Other than my experience of doing this twice I cannot offer any more info, sorry

I havent had to do any recently, and havent downloaded and BIOS updates to hunt for .FD files.

To answer a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_joe View Post
    I did not rename the file, the only thing I did was finalise the disc to ensure it was readable by most makes of drive.

There are a couple of suggestions about names of the files, looking at the posts earlier the ICL50 = CL50145a.FD suggesting CL50 model, 1.45A BIOS etc... There is no harm renaming the files if the laptop is bricked, if the laptop does not like the .FD it

Simon

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

When I performed this I used the 1.42 version (and i have also tested the 1.45). If there is no .FD file then i am afraid i cannot help you.
    I left the laptop for about 20 minutes (Optical drive flashing away) and eventually it restarted itself and booted up.
    Other than my experience of doing this twice I cannot offer any more info, sorry
    I havent had to do any recently, and havent downloaded and BIOS updates to hunt for .FD files.
    To answer a couple of questions
    I did not rename the file, the only thing I did was finalise the disc to ensure it was readable by most makes of drive.

Simon
    It looks as my bios is fubar, as I tried all possible file names people suggested on various forums, including the orginial names, and many *.fd versions (from 1.16 to 1.45).

I can power up the laptop using Fn-Esc trick, I see that some media initialisation going on with the media LED blinking and CD or floppy spinning. According to floppy sounds it looks as the laptop tries to get something (short creaks) but do not make any serious file reading, which would be easily identifiable by specific long creaking sound.

As last resort, I have ordered a new bios chip on eBay (cost 18AUD with shipping). Some guy from the UK sell them for pretty much all ACER notebook models. Surely the microchip replacement is going to be a tricky thing to do, as the bios microchip is so tiny. Fortunately, I have a friend in Phys Lab with all equipment necessary for microchip soldering and unsoldering. I would not recommend anybody to try this in home conditions, unless soldering of microchip-boards is your hobby, and your name, if not Tony Stark, than Ivan Vanko.

Thank you for response anyway!
    Last edited by uncle_joe; 4th July 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan_Hussar View Post
    I have a bricked Acer Aspire 5720 (also ICL50) which I am trying to flash as we speak, the BIOS file I got from the Acer site is v1.45. Having unzipped the BIOS_v1.45.zip file, you can then unzip the executable file to get the .FD in this case it is CL50145A.FD.

I'm hoping this is going to work, otherwise I have bricked a friends laptop trying to upgrade the BIOS using the crappy InsydeFlash Windows utility (this machine was still running BIOS v1.06). It's been sitting here flashing the hard drive light for 25 minutes now and no signs of life so far :-(

Regards,
    TH.
    Left the laptop overnight and essentially nothing happened. I checked the CD-R and re-read the instructions and realised I'd missed a vital part. You have to hold down the Fn+Esc *BEFORE* you plug in the power and then press the power button.

Tried it properly and the laptop is now sitting here on the bench, fan whirring and periodically accessing the CD-R so fingers crossed I'll leave it until it powers down and see what happens... My only thought is that I only have the v1.45a BIOS I downloaded which caused the problem in the first place, this machine was running v1.06 (very old version). If it doesn't work I'll have to see if I can find a more ancient version of the BIOS to try.

Regards,
    TH.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Hrmm not looking terribly hopeful. Laptop spins up the CD every minute or so then spins down and repeats. Been doing this for an hour now, I've burned a v1.16 BIOS file to disc and may try that in a while. Anyone know if the 5720 will do a crisis flash from USB stick?

Regards,
    TH.

Thank Post
    Hrmm not looking terribly hopeful. Laptop spins up the CD every minute or so then spins down and repeats. Been doing this for an hour now, I've burned a v1.16 BIOS file to disc and may try that in a while. Anyone know if the 5720 will do a crisis flash from USB stick?

Regards,
    TH.
    Got back in this afternoon to find it still spinning up the v1.45A disc every minute or so. Popped the v1.16 BIOS disk in and this time it spun up once and has now gone quiet (but not switched off), the suspense is killing me!

Regards,
    TH.

Thank Post

Angry

Got back in this afternoon to find it still spinning up the v1.45A disc every minute or so. Popped the v1.16 BIOS disk in and this time it spun up once and has now gone quiet (but not switched off), the suspense is killing me!

Regards,
    TH.
    No luck unfortunately, I hold down Fn + Esc I get the red flash of the power light as I plug in the power supply. When I press the power button the CD-R spins up and I get a flashing light, then one of two things happen. Either it doesn't spin up again, or it spins up every minute, so I'm not sure which (if any) of these is the correct behaviour. I've tried putting the BIOS image onto a USB stick but there is no sign of any activity from the stick.

I've checked the CD-R's are readable in a variety of different machines and they all seem fine. I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the DVD-RW drive and using a different one from another laptop just to see if that makes any difference. In effect I have a laptop which appears to have all the hallmarks of one that is capable of being flashed, but is refusing to comply!

Regards,
    TH.

Thank Post

Thumbs down 5720 Still a brick.

Unfortunately despite swapping out a different CD/DVD+RW drive I'm still not able to flash this laptop. Acer refuse to help because I cannot give them the serial number (the sticker has faded away and I can't get into the BIOS to read it). They have denied the existence of a crisis disk and are recommending I send it to their service centre.

It's an ICL50 5720 with a T7100 processor, it was running v1.06 but attempting to use the InsydeFlash utility in Windows gave the message "VERIFY ERROR" and locked the laptop up so that the only way to restart it was by pulling the battery. Incidentally I flashed the BIOS because with 4Gb installed the processor throttled back after a suspend/resume and the whole machine was reduced to a crawl.

Now it's sitting here, unable to even recover from the BIOS recovery disks I've written. Looks like I owe my friend a new laptop. I've fixed and upgraded dozens of laptops and desktops before and *never* had this problem with a BIOS, all I can say is Acer have most certainly lost a potential customer over this.

Regards,
    Jason.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast