+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Bad Blocks + Locating in Technical; My media PC's hard drive (750GB Samsung Spinpoint), has developed some bad blocks, I suspect from a power cut we ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bad Blocks + Locating

My media PC's hard drive (750GB Samsung Spinpoint), has developed some bad blocks, I suspect from a power cut we had a couple of weeks back. I know they are there and have a copy (paid for) of HDD Restorer, an excellent app which actually repairs them. The problem is that unless you know where they are the program has to do a full surface test. You can tell it to start at a certain point, but there is no point in that unless you know where the bad blocks are located. I left it running over night and it had only managed 80GB with none found. Does anyone know of a utility which will report on the location of bad blocks so I can repair it in minutes instead of days?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tbh bad blocks are not going to be caused by a powercut. That implies the disk could be failing. Data errors (aka fixed by a quick scandisk) could be expected but not creation of bad blocks.
    Sadly I dont think there is a faster way to remove them really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

bad sectors

from what I have read you can get partition magic or ranish partition manager ( to ignore the bad sectors ) but there is no actual way of fixing them short of either replacing the drive or just carrying on using the drive but getting it to ignore the bad sectors.

Have seen a few ppl suggest low level format but i dont think that will help at all as not sure if that will do much as it sounds like its a hardware fault.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    tbh bad blocks are not going to be caused by a powercut. That implies the disk could be failing. Data errors (aka fixed by a quick scandisk) could be expected but not creation of bad blocks.
    Sadly I dont think there is a faster way to remove them really.
    Bad blocks could be caused by a power failure depending on the method used to park the drive heads, some do park without power, some don't.

However they got there, there is only one choice with a disk with any dead sectors, bin it, quick. Also, as only the drive controller knows the physical layout of the sectors a starting address and ending address may not correspond to the actual locations of the damage.

I'd make a backup and replace it asap.

Thank Post
    hi

Bad blocks can definately be caused by power outages or should I say the power surge when it comes back on. I had it with a server once but the files that were damaged were not critical well not to the os at least. The users at the time did not quite see it that way but as that was backed up that was not the end of the world.

I know it was a power surge because it took out the power pack and the nic card completely.

Richard

Thank Post
    Have you tried the sammy diag tool? it may be somewhat quicker SAMSUNG Hard Disk Drive - support - utilities I have not used it myself but it may be worth looking at.

Thank Post
    Argh!

Revenge of the spinpoints. It has only one file I really wanted on it, but it's completely dead
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a quick not on the software I have been using from a reply I just gave to a PM.

HDD Restorer (actually it's called HDD Regenerator)is a paid for utility I found out about from PC Pro, and it really does work at removing bad blocks (not if the drive is failing BTW as the blocks come back). But for a drive which may have been dropped or suffered a sudden shock it gets rid of bad blocks by doing very technical stuff I don't even pretend to understand!
    You can get it from here: Dmitriy Primochenko Online

Some reviews here: HDD Regenarator | SoftwareJudge.com
    And yes, it IS slow, but it does work too

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread