+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, VGA Cooling in Technical; Following on from the thread about my new card and how the correct adaptor (courtesy of Ric) solved my problem ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries

VGA Cooling

Following on from the thread about my new card and how the correct adaptor (courtesy of Ric) solved my problem I still have one thing to do.
    I brought this card because it is a low profile version as will fit my media PCs case. Unfortunately Sapphire have, in a fit of stupidity, fitted a passive cooler which sticks out from the side of the card negating it's low profile and which means I can get the lid on my case
    Short of getting a hacksaw and sawing off a few blades from the top of the cooler ( a 2 minute job when I get home) I would much rather fit an aftermarket job. The problem I now face is that I have LOTS of old Nvidia cards at work with passive heatsinks which would fit the bill, unfortunately the pin layout is larger than that on the card (the Sapphire 256MB HD3450 Low Profile). Can anyone here let me know what the VGA cooler securing pin layouts on modern cards are, and where I can get smaller coolers or what sizes to look for?

Thank Post
    Something like ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions ::: might fit... you'll have to get your tape measure out to double check

Scan Computers UK: Zalman VF900-CU Quiet Dual Heatpipe VGA GPU Cooler Pure Copper for your local shop

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Ric. It's the right connector size, but the heatsink is too large and will stick up too much. I think a new case may be in order.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have now solved the problem by taking a hacksaw to the top 1cm of the heatsink. I'm now going to check the load on the card by running 3d Mark 2006 and seeing what that does.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread