+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Hardware Thread, Help on new equipment in Technical; Hi We are having a brand new sports hall built and i have been asked to say what IT equipment ...
  1. #1
    DSapseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,152
    Thank Post
    130
    Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    Help on new equipment

    Hi

    We are having a brand new sports hall built and i have been asked to say what IT equipment will be installed. So far i have got

    1U, 24 Port Category 5E Patch Panel
    HP ProCurve 2626 24x10/100 Ports + 2x10/100/1000 Gigabit/Mini- GBIC Switch
    HP ProCurve Gigabit SX-LC Mini-GBIC Transceiver Module
    12u Wall Cabinet
    6way horizontal 3 pin pdu bar
    4 core fibre from server room to new build

    Have i missed anything off? Price is an issue as we are not sure who is paying for it yet! ie us or the builders. It was on the plans initially but then they took it off!!!

    Dan

  2. #2

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,155
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    507
    Wall sockets?
    Trunking?
    Wireless provision?

    ALso will the require media based stuff - Sound/projector/screen etc - if thats within your remit?

  3. #3
    DSapseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,152
    Thank Post
    130
    Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Wall sockets?
    Trunking?
    Wireless provision?

    ALso will the require media based stuff - Sound/projector/screen etc - if thats within your remit?
    Yeh there is trunking and wall sockets going in whatever they just were not going to put in a switch!! Will add wireless access points to my list.

    Will be a smart board going in at some stage but thats at our cost at a later date!

  4. #4

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,614
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Rep Power
    421
    8 core fibre and a 2610-24 or 2610-48 instead of the 2626.

    Depending on how many access points maybe a 2600-08 8 port poe switch as well?

    Ben

  5. #5


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,638
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 778 Times in 605 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    UPS for the wall cabinet?
    (admittedly we UPS all network kit due to rubbish power)
    Protective cages for the APs? (if they're going to be in the actual hall) - polycarbonate / plastic rather than metal.

  6. #6
    DSapseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,152
    Thank Post
    130
    Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    I'm going to sound really stupid here but whats the differnece between 4 core and 8 core?

    We havent ups'd any cabs around the school and this is only the pe office and pe classroom so not vital.

  7. #7

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,172
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    I'm going to sound really stupid here but whats the differnece between 4 core and 8 core?

    We havent ups'd any cabs around the school and this is only the pe office and pe classroom so not vital.
    The 8 core will allow you to have 4 complete links instead of the 2 provided by a 4 core, 1 for transmit and one for receive in each pair.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    54
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Yeh there is trunking and wall sockets going in whatever they just were not going to put in a switch!! Will add wireless access points to my list.

    Will be a smart board going in at some stage but thats at our cost at a later date!
    Probably not a great idea to put a SMART board in a hall (no-one will see it unless they are really close). Suggest you specify a high brightness projector, screen, Interactive Pen Display (gives you the same functionality as an IWB, but allows you to display it on your big screen), DVD/VCR, Audio system.

  9. #9

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,072
    Thank Post
    1,792
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Rep Power
    773
    At the school where I'm a governor, which has a Sport Specialism, all the Sports/PE rooms are wired for sound with iPod docks and speakers... some rooms also have data projectors

    The staff use iPods to store all their music for dance lessons, bleep tests, etc

    They also have video footage that they use to illustrate things like different techniques for basketball.

    It might be worth finding out if your PE dept are likely to be doing this too.

  10. #10

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,614
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Rep Power
    421
    If you only put in a four core you are seriously limiting your options for the future even more so if one of the cores get's damaged in any way including damage to the ferrule after termination.

    Ben

  11. #11
    p858snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 175 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemtech View Post
    Probably not a great idea to put a SMART board in a hall (no-one will see it unless they are really close). Suggest you specify a high brightness projector, screen, Interactive Pen Display (gives you the same functionality as an IWB, but allows you to display it on your big screen), DVD/VCR, Audio system.
    I think he means the board was for in the PE classroom rather than the actual hall.

  12. #12

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    At the school where I'm a governor, which has a Sport Specialism, all the Sports/PE rooms are wired for sound with iPod docks and speakers... some rooms also have data projectors

    The staff use iPods to store all their music for dance lessons, bleep tests, etc
    At my previous school, we got a new sports hall and made sure something similar was in place. All we had on the wall was a volume control with jack input, and plenty of really good quality speakers in the ceiling. Staff loved they could go into a room, plug in and play.

    If you ask for these, make sure you buy ceiling speakers with plenty of bass. We made that mistake and dance lessons were rubbish because kids couldn't hear the beat properly to dance to it. Reinstall with decent speakers - job done!

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,691
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 796 Times in 715 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    This thread died back in September, I'd hope the OP is sorted by now!

  14. #14

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    This thread died back in September, I'd hope the OP is sorted by now!
    Feel like an idiot now!

    I'm gonna start checking the dates before I post.

  15. #15
    p858snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 175 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Feel like an idiot now!

    I'm gonna start checking the dates before I post.
    Nope, i'm the idiot, i must of opened it as a related post or something in another thread and not notice =(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Barcode Equipment
    By faza in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10th February 2009, 05:39 PM
  2. Cleared out equipment
    By kesomir in forum BSF
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th June 2008, 03:12 PM
  3. [Wanted] IT Equipment
    By flashsnaps in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th March 2008, 07:27 PM
  4. Disposal of Equipment
    By enjay in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th May 2007, 02:12 PM
  5. Selling old equipment
    By sidewinder in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 29th May 2007, 07:52 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •