+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Projector install / no signal in Technical; Hi, I have just been allowed in to our new building where the buuilders have run all the cables for ...

Thank Post

Projector install / no signal

Hi,

I have just been allowed in to our new building where the buuilders have run all the cables for the projectors and network. The networking looks first class and everything is sunk into the wall out of the way but I have installed the first two projectors and theres nothing coming out. I have tried them with the splitter and on its own but nothing

These are very long VGA cables (30meters I think) so might try and get my hands on a booster. Anyone used/recommend a good booster. Also, should there be something coming out of the projector when I plug in? It doesn't show anything.

Any help via testing would be great, I am going on holiday next week and I have shedloads to do

Thank Post
    If its doing it on both it suggests either dodgy projectors or more likely dodgy workmanship.

I'd have thought any AV installers would have tested the installation before you signed it off?

As a test, I'd be sure to try connecting the cable to the projector RGB1 and if its a faceplate, be sure to try all of the ports on there.

Are they just VGA feeds or are they proper looms with other outs on them?

Thank Post
    Alas it was the builders who put them in and not any sort of AV person. They have been nice enough to run a cat 5 to each projecotr too.

I have tested the projector on a standard cable and its fine, there is no loop, just a vga feed too. I purchased the cables for them on a rush, I was going to get shielded ones but went for standard ones.

TBH this will make them realise not to let muppets install stuff and overrule me.

Thank Post
    Short of shoving a monitor on one end and a PC / laptop on the other to test the cable aside from the projector, it looks like the cables purchased can't handle the abuse at 30m.

On the subject of boosters, yeah, we used one on our main hall installation, I can't for the life of me think of the name ... Will look tomorrow, think it went for about 65.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Short of shoving a monitor on one end and a PC / laptop on the other to test the cable aside from the projector, it looks like the cables purchased can't handle the abuse at 30m.

On the subject of boosters, yeah, we used one on our main hall installation, I can't for the life of me think of the name ... Will look tomorrow, think it went for about 65.
    Thanks for looking for the name, much appreciated.

I found these which is a 400mhz splitter, the ones I am using is just 250mhz. Think I will have to check it out to see if it makes any difference.

ANALOG DISTRIBUTION AMPLIFIERS VP-200N

Probrand has one in for 70+vat+del *ouch*

Thank Post
    I have 3 projectors suspended from the ceiling in our auditorium with vga cable runs of approx 40m, one of the projectors is high definition. I do use some splitters / boosters which if I remember correctly where purchased from lindy. We have no problem with image quality even on the high definition projector projecting onto a 4m square screen. The other two projectors are used together for a stereo 3d system which again works perfectly. It sounds like you have some dodgy cables to me as I would have thought that you should see something coming out of the projector even if it was a really bad picture.

If you have to use a booster then I would try and get the best one you can as cheap ones usually end up giving you a naff quality picture.

richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Hi,

I have just been allowed in to our new building where the buuilders have run all the cables for the projectors and network. The networking looks first class and everything is sunk into the wall out of the way but I have installed the first two projectors and theres nothing coming out. I have tried them with the splitter and on its own but nothing

These are very long VGA cables (30meters I think) so might try and get my hands on a booster. Anyone used/recommend a good booster. Also, should there be something coming out of the projector when I plug in? It doesn't show anything.

Any help via testing would be great, I am going on holiday next week and I have shedloads to do

Sorry but I am confused to as why you didn't get a turnkey solution... the instllation company hands you a fully operational whiteboard that you just sign off... Management

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Sorry but I am confused to as why you didn't get a turnkey solution... the instllation company hands you a fully operational whiteboard that you just sign off... Management
    Sounds like "Management" didn't write a good specification for the job to me.

Have you tried dropping an extension cable to the ground and connecting a monitor? Worth also having a look at the back of the PC end faceplates. There may be cables loose here if they are terminated rather than plug/socket. Have a look at the image here for an example of what I expect you have at the lower end. You'll see why I suspect broken/miswired cable.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 20th August 2008 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    I could be well off here but I'm sure I've heard something about certain projectors not liking the '9th' pin in the VGA cable.

Could you try getting a laptop to connect direct to the projector using a cable you know works. If it works your installed cables aren't. If not, try the same again with a cable that is missing the 9th pin (fairly easy to pick up)

Thank Post
    I've had some strange issues with VGA runs over 15m here in our 'new build'. You would either get no image (like what is happening here) or we got a really dark/grainy image. Placing a booster on the end seems to do the trick.

Its not ideal (and its a bit hit n miss as to which rooms the run is longer) but it seems to work for us

Thank Post
    Whenever we have had Promethean boards installed they refuse to run VGA cables longer than around 15 metres. I am willing to wager your cables are simply too long, or wired up incorrectly. It astounds me that "builders" installed your cables and not network / audio visual technicians / engineers?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Whenever we have had Promethean boards installed they refuse to run VGA cables longer than around 15 metres. I am willing to wager your cables are simply too long, or wired up incorrectly. It astounds me that "builders" installed your cables and not network / audio visual technicians / engineers?

Butuz
    it's not unusal....we've had 'builders's and electricians run vga cabling for us. They normally go with very long prefabbed cables, length usually less than 10 metres. We've had problems where a long cable run (> 10 metres) was done using poor quality cables. No termination done by the installer, so the poor single was purely as a result of the distances covered and quality of cables used. Lindy prefabbed cables are usually best for a timesaving install.

@TS - consider getting a line driver. Extron manufacur them, and they usually do the job if distance is causing the lack of single. An incorrect termination and a dizzy amp like the kramer or a line driver won't make any difference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Sounds like "Management" didn't write a good specification for the job to me.

Have you tried dropping an extension cable to the ground and connecting a monitor? Worth also having a look at the back of the PC end faceplates. There may be cables loose here if they are terminated rather than plug/socket. Have a look at the image here for an example of what I expect you have at the lower end. You'll see why I suspect broken/miswired cable.

I got overruled by the Bursar so we had to do it on the cheap.

Thankfully all is well except for one slight problem. The builders have mixed up the cables so one room projects next door in the other classroom and vice versa The 30m work without any booster... The first two that i tested were mixed up so I feared the worst.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread