+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Recommend a 42U rack in Technical; Originally Posted by kesomir It's looking likely I'll be going for a: DELL 4210 42U Includes Doors, Side Panels, Ground ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    It's looking likely I'll be going for a:

DELL 4210 42U Includes Doors, Side Panels, Ground Ship Packing and Service

despite liking the look of the HP unit, I can get this a bit cheaper and no qualms regarding the equipment going in with the dell type rails specced on the gear.

Anyone got these that can say anything about them?
    I have one of these and it's fine, although I prefer the rounded door on the HPs for when you have switches and stuff in the cabinet.

2. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

kesomir (14th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    we've installed dell rapid rails in a hp rack without bother....if your unsure, check the install guide of the rails....i'm pretty confident there wouldn't be any dell rails not compatible with standards-compliant 3rd party racks....dell server racks themselves are all square holes. The only round hole racks you'll see will be 2-post telco racks.

I would advise against going for those mills racks that john uses, judging by the picture the front door is not even 10% perforated. Glass doors are not good for airflow.....unless you want to take the door off, but then why spend 500 quid on a rack only to take the doors off.

At 11u of kit at the moment airflow and cooling may not be a huge concern but will become so once you start filling it up.
    They are surprisingly well vented, well the last one was that I got, the photo isn't the most up to date, the last one I orderd was more vented that the photo shows, but yes still has the large glass panel in it. There is plenty of room for ventilation and if your that botherd fans and stuff. The thing with them is they are quieter than the HPs which that last I had hold of had a complete mesh front so all the nosie comes out where as there is the deadening effect with the Mills stuff which is nice, but yes is not quite as well vented as a full mesh door.

Thank Post
    Having just gone to put our new rackmount servers into the racks supplied in our new school I've discovered it's 800x800 and not deep enough........

I'm looking at getting one of the 42U APC racks, as the server/comms room has air con and is locked, am I right in thinking there's no need for the rack to have sides/doors? The reduced width will make life muich easier getting the rack in as it's bit tight! Getting the old rack out will be a different matter.......

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Having just gone to put our new rackmount servers into the racks supplied in our new school I've discovered it's 800x800 and not deep enough........

I'm looking at getting one of the 42U APC racks, as the server/comms room has air con and is locked, am I right in thinking there's no need for the rack to have sides/doors? The reduced width will make life muich easier getting the rack in as it's bit tight! Getting the old rack out will be a different matter.......

Cheers!
    on the 10000 G2's the side panels add maybe a few millimetres of width - if that. So i don't think side panels adding additional width should be an issue, Unless space really is that tight.

You don't have to have doors and panels, hence why they are often sold seperately...but both add security and tidyness. A rack with doors and side panels looks a lot sleeker. Security for many isn't an issue, particularly if access to the server room is restricted via door entry keypad/fob. I've never locked the doors or side panels on our 10000 G2's - never seen the point. But it's handy to know that you can if need be.

6. Thanks to torledo from:

joe90bass (16th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    It's looking likely I'll be going for a:

DELL 4210 42U Includes Doors, Side Panels, Ground Ship Packing and Service

despite liking the look of the HP unit, I can get this a bit cheaper and no qualms regarding the equipment going in with the dell type rails specced on the gear.

Anyone got these that can say anything about them?
    We've got one of these and it's pretty good. The HP and Dell racks are OEMed from Rittal, as far as I know. They have a showroom in Enfield so you could maybe check them out (and you might get an educational discount.) We bought two of their TS8s which take Dell rackmounts with no problems and are very well ventilated.

Thank Post
    I am awaited delivery of the dell 42u rack now.

I'm sure it'll do the trick, no-one's had anything bad to say about it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12