+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP 2650 Problems in Technical; Well after many many months of problems with our old netgear switches i'm finally installing a lot of HP Procurve ...

Thank Post

HP 2650 Problems

Well after many many months of problems with our old netgear switches i'm finally installing a lot of HP Procurve stuff.

Nice shiny 5400zl in the server room with 2650's going out around the college for the fibre links.

All has been going fine until the last 2, always the last ones, switches. With 2 different problems, typical.

One seems to be stuck in a reboot loop, using hyperterminal i get the following

initializing...

ROM information:
    Build directory: /sw/rom/build/fishrom(mkfs)
    Build date: Oct 11 2007
    Build time: 15:49:30
    Build version: H.08.05
    Build number: 14018

OS identifier found at @ 0x7cb80000
    Verifying Image validity ...
    CRC on OS image header Passed
    CRC on complete OS image file Passed
    Valid OS image @ 0x7cb80000

Decompressing...done.
    Which just round again and again and again, you get the idea. I've tried using the reset/clear buttons on the front but this doesn't chance anything. Is is buggered?

The other is an odd one that i just cannot figure out... i have 1 switch which just wont connect via the fibre module. Have checked the modules they work, checked both ports on the switch, have reset back to factory but still no link. I know the link was fine up until i changed the switches over. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Ignore the first problem after nearly 2 hours of resetting it's self it's come back to life now that is odd....

Thank Post
    If in doubt get it replaced the warranty service is usually pretty quick.

Thank Post
    I would be tempted to warranty the first one (the one that rebooted over and over) I had one that did that but only after I had reset it becuase I was getting no through-put (lights on and flashing, just data didnt leave/enter the switch) The last thing you will want is for it to fail once you've finished

As for the second one, when plugging the fibre module into the switch (without a cable) does the leds change to M instead of the copper led? Is the switch configured at all or is it still in out-of-box condition?
    Checked/tested the fibre cables? Whats connected to the other end (another 2650?, the 5400?)

Thank Post
    For the second one, try a different GBIC module just incase you have a faulty one, I had one in a batch I ordered once, HP sent me a new one no questions asked and didn't even ask for the old one back!

Also check your patch leads, if you've ordered new ones you havn't accidently got the wrong size fibre have you? I did this myself and they worked fine on the links with a good strong signal, but on longer runs where the signal has dropped a bit, the loss from the incorrect fibre size in the patch lead caused it not to work. Took me hours of head scratching to work out what was wrong! At the time I didn't know there were 2 different sizes of fibre. 62.5/125 is the most common and is what our fixed fibre cables were, but with lack of knowledge I ordered the cheapest patch leads from my supplier which just happened to be 50/125. I didn't realise there were different sizes of fibre until I encountered the problem, and started doing some googling!

Mike.

Edit:- just re-read and realised you tested the fibre module, so ignore the first part of my post! Note to self: Should learn to read properly before posting!
    Last edited by maniac; 7th August 2008 at 08:50 PM.

Thank Post
    I believe Manic has got the answer.... i've just checked all the packing for the new fibre patch leads, some are 62.5/125 and some are 50/125. That'll teach me to check all the package not just the delievery note.

Feel so stupid for not checking it sooner. Although as manic says i've plugged a few of the 50/125 into some links and they have worked

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread