+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP laptop not returned in Technical; ...

Thank Post

HP laptop not returned

Has anyone had this prob before. We had a HP laptop that had a broken screen but was under warranty. We sent it to them to fix but they informed us that broken screens are not covered under warranty and they gave us a quote. We said we dont want it fixed (they wanted £384 to fix a screen!!) and to return the laptop to us. That was 3 months ago. I called them up and they say they dont have a clue where the laptop is basically.

Thank Post
    I assume you have recorded delivery information showing the laptop was delivered to them and signed for? If so, unless they can prove they sent it back and a signature was obtained they should be obligated to replace it. Check the terms.

Thank Post
    The laptop was picked up by UPS and Im sure I must have signed for it on their electronic pad. He gave me a receipt as well but not sure if I still have that.

Thank Post
    As they quoted you for a replacement screen, they have presumably seen and examined the unit. That means that it's lost on its way back to you, so they should be obliged to replace or at the very least find it!

I'm presuming they asked you to send it to them in the first place, and you had an authorised returns number etc?

Mike.

Thank Post
    I sent a printer back to HP for warranty repair a few years ago. It came back without the power supply after several phone calls they agreed to send a new power supply. That never arrived so I called several times but they insisted that it had arrived. Never did get one back from hp.

Chilbs

Thank Post
    I returned a printer to HP once for repair, was told to leave the toner and paper tray out of the printer. Repaired printer turned up a week or so later with a new paper tray and toner in it, so I got some free spares

Mike.

Thank Post
    Don't like HP for returns, still, it's got better. A lot better. Still not as good as Dell.

Put it this way,

HP laptop has faulty monitor cable, phoned them up, spoke to some, ask if I could explain etc, 1hr later, they said UPS will come tomorrow to pick it up, a box arrived. I then had to box it, then phone again to book a pickup, they then shipped it, I tracked the postal, took 3 days to get to there place, it got sent to a place in the UK only to be shipped to some place in europe.
    It took about 10 days (8 business days).

Dell, phoned up at about 5pm, said too late for someone to come out today, durr, guy turned up the next day, an engineer, just swapped the laptop over, said have i taken the hdd out? Said yes - not that stupid

Basically the teacher didn't have a laptop for AM reg. Was back by PM. Can't fault the facts. Still you need to get a quiet a good spec about £600+ to get the 3 yrs next business day. I think the total TCO makes it worth while.

Will even over look the tft i RMA'd to dell after a kid dropped it off the table

No questions, just have you tested it, yes, does a new tft work, yes, will ship you a new one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Don't like HP for returns, still, it's got better. A lot better. Still not as good as Dell.

Put it this way,

HP laptop has faulty monitor cable, phoned them up, spoke to some, ask if I could explain etc, 1hr later, they said UPS will come tomorrow to pick it up, a box arrived. I then had to box it, then phone again to book a pickup, they then shipped it, I tracked the postal, took 3 days to get to there place, it got sent to a place in the UK only to be shipped to some place in europe.
    It took about 10 days (8 business days).

Dell, phoned up at about 5pm, said too late for someone to come out today, durr, guy turned up the next day, an engineer, just swapped the laptop over, said have i taken the hdd out? Said yes - not that stupid

Basically the teacher didn't have a laptop for AM reg. Was back by PM. Can't fault the facts. Still you need to get a quiet a good spec about £600+ to get the 3 yrs next business day. I think the total TCO makes it worth while.

Will even over look the tft i RMA'd to dell after a kid dropped it off the table

No questions, just have you tested it, yes, does a new tft work, yes, will ship you a new one.
    Doesn't that depend on the level of warranty you buy though? RTB, CAR, Onsite etc...?

Thank Post
    Yes and no. By default, the desktops come with 3 yrs Next business on site -OptiPlex, laptops are a bit more tricky, you pay about £500-600 for an ok ish spec, but you have to think.

£600 = laptop for 3 yrs little problems
    £400 laptop x 30 = at the end of 3 yrs, with say, 14. That's with a some crafty RMA'ing too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I returned a printer to HP once for repair, was told to leave the toner and paper tray out of the printer. Repaired printer turned up a week or so later with a new paper tray and toner in it, so I got some free spares

Mike.
    Same for us, reckon they have a shortage of trays somewhere?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Same for us, reckon they have a shortage of trays somewhere?
    We had the same with our printer which was sent away for repair! Can't complain though, its always nice to have some spares

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz View Post
    Has anyone had this prob before. We had a HP laptop that had a broken screen but was under warranty. We sent it to them to fix but they informed us that broken screens are not covered under warranty and they gave us a quote. We said we dont want it fixed (they wanted £384 to fix a screen!!) and to return the laptop to us. That was 3 months ago. I called them up and they say they dont have a clue where the laptop is basically.
    Under a standard warranty screens are not covered as these are classed as accidental damage.
    Screens cost the same as the laptop in some cases as you have just found out.
    I would write to HP complaint department and give them a timescale to return or replace your laptop (7 or 14 days).
    You should never be without a broken product for over 3 months and if they can't find the laptop then they should replace it. This could be a good omen as they might end up replacing the laptop with a new one.

Good Luck

David Millar
    Evolution Resource
    01442 211811

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread