+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Server restarts when Ethernet cable is plugged in in Technical; I dunno where to put this, but thought this would be the best place. Our proxy server spontaneuously restarted it ...
    Thank Post

Server restarts when Ethernet cable is plugged in

I dunno where to put this, but thought this would be the best place.

Our proxy server spontaneuously restarted it self. The machine would reboot just after the Windows Splash screen but would work fine in safe mode, but not ok in safe mode with networking. We figured out it was something to do with the network cards, after disabling them in device manager. The server didn't restart when these were disabled. We updated the drivers and still no luck. I pulled out the network cable from the server, with the drivers still enabled, this time, the server stayed on. I plugged the network cable back in and the server rebooted it's self. This happens on both network ports.

Unfortunately im on holiday next week and week after, but fortunately im not going away. Im sure something is telling me that i cant have a holiday.

Can anyone help on this issue? Would replacing the ethernet cable help? or is it a case of the NICs (which is in the MoBo) that are knackered and needs to be replaced?

Tim

Thank Post
    I had this happen with a brand new server from RM, it turned out to be a problem with Symantec (as reported in the core dump file).

Are they Intel gigabit copper adapters?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Can anyone help on this issue? Would replacing the ethernet cable help? or is it a case of the NICs (which is in the MoBo) that are knackered and needs to be replaced?
    It does sound like a motherboard problem if the Ethernet ports are onboard. The problem sounds hardware related because the server restarts when you plug in an Ethernet cable. You have two choices really. If the motherboard is under warranty, then get it replaced. Failing that, (check what available slots you have on the motherboard) and all being well, buy an Intel PCI Gigabit adapter. Preferably PCI-e or PCI-x as these are faster than normal PCI.

Then disable the existing onboard Ethernet ports and put tape over them (to avoid anyone plugging in a cable). This should do the trick.

Thank Post
    @kmount: The ports are copper yeah, and we dont use symantec on that server.

@Michael: Thanks, I thought the same to be honest. Yeah the mobo is still under warranty. To be honest, this is the second HP board (the first was in another server) that has failed with the NICs.

Thank Post
    If it was me, I'd just check that you don't have a spurious voltage present between any of the pins on your network port, or to ground. It would be unusual, but there may be another bit of kit faulty and bringing your server down.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread