Site Maintenance at 10:00PM The site will be offline for hosting changes. Downtime: 30-45m

+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell Dimension 4700 Diagnostic Lights Out in Technical; Hi to everyone thats in school in the holidays! Got a member of staffs Dell Dimension 4700 PC in as ...
    Thank Post

Dell Dimension 4700 Diagnostic Lights Out

Hi to everyone thats in school in the holidays!

Got a member of staffs Dell Dimension 4700 PC in as it wont boot up. (no post beeps either)

I've found the Dell service manual that explains about the Diagnostic Lights etc but these don't even come on when I switch it on (just get steady amber power light with I think means a possible graphics failure).

I've removed the ram, NIC, graphics card, sata drive, DVD and still nothing. Also took out *lots* of disgusting fluff from the motherboard and heat sink & fan

Not sure where to go next apart from tell her its stuffed unless anyone has any other ideas?

Last edited by katem; 21st July 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added info

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried swapping out the power supply, depending on how advanced the motherboard is it may be able to detect that a power rail has blown in the power supply. It depends on the machine though as I have only encountered this behavior in servers.

If its not that it could well be that the motherboard is cooked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you tried swapping out the power supply, depending on how advanced the motherboard is it may be able to detect that a power rail has blown in the power supply. It depends on the machine though as I have only encountered this behavior in servers.

If its not that it could well be that the motherboard is cooked.
    Hi, tried this but only power supply had availale to try is a 250w 20 pin and the original is a 350w 24 pin. Anyhow nothing different happened so assuming this still isnt the problem

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katem View Post
    Hi, tried this but only power supply had availale to try is a 250w 20 pin and the original is a 350w 24 pin. Anyhow nothing different happened so assuming this still isnt the problem
    Hi, the 20pin PSU won't supply enough power to the board and also won't provide it via the remaining pins, this would cause the machine to refuse to boot. If it is still doing the same thing with this PSU attached it could be that the secondary 5v rail on the original PSU is busted.

If you have a voltmeter you could test the voltage coming out of the various pins by using this pin outs:

ATX (ATX12V) 24 pin power supply connector pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

You should just need to carefully short pin 14 with one of the grounds to power it up for testing.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

katem (21st July 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Hi, the 20pin PSU won't supply enough power to the board and also won't provide it via the remaining pins, this would cause the machine to refuse to boot. If it is still doing the same thing with this PSU attached it could be that the secondary 5v rail on the original PSU is busted.

If you have a voltmeter you could test the voltage coming out of the various pins by using this pin outs:

ATX (ATX12V) 24 pin power supply connector pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

You should just need to carefully short pin 14 with one of the grounds to power it up for testing.
    Hmmm I thought using a different PSU wouldnt help, but unfortunately we haven't got, a) another 24 pin PSU or b) any equipment to test the original PSU (I keep asking but it falls on deaf ears).

I do have a tester at home but feel that I shouldn't have to start bringing in my own equipment as they probably wouldn't replace it if it went walkabout or was damaged in use.

Appreciate all the help though - I'll probably end up telling her to take it to PC World

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread