+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptop HD Temperature in Technical; Whats a good temperature for a laptop hard drive to be running at, both idle and under stress - mines ...
    Thank Post

Laptop HD Temperature

Whats a good temperature for a laptop hard drive to be running at, both idle and under stress - mines at 23C and then anything up to 47C, im assuming thats prob to hot but not sure, any ideas? thnx

Thank Post
    my TC1100 tablet normally is around 30 degree mark but that does go up to 40-ish.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about, IMHO.

this is a nifty little utility I use for performance monitoring Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) - Homepage, Downloads, Help, Docu, FAQ, News - www.pbus-167.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can get huge amounts of data about your hard drive by downloading speedfan and going to the S.M.A.R.T. tab, selecting your main HD from the list of ones installed in the system and click the "Perform and indepth analasys of this hard disk"

It will give you the average temperature of the hard drive and a full overview of the hard drives health.

Thank Post
    Running SpeedFan now and its stating Temp1: 54C and Core: 61C i havent changed any settings in the program

Thank Post
    well in my laptop, an old??? pentium 4 2.8Ghz, with vista on, the hard drive is between 35 and 50 degrees Celsius, processor goes all up to 70 gedrees so I think you are safe with your temperatures, I use speedfan control because my laptop is too noisy so I disabled intel speed fan control and use speedfan instead.

Thank Post
    As long as your laptop doesn't get as hot as this person's you should be OK:
    Man burns penis with laptop | The Register
    I apologise to anyone who may be offended.

Thank Post
    I was worrying slighty cause my fan is now making ALOT more noise than it usually does, mostly a clicking sound, I'm not sure if the blades are hitting against anything but its bloody annoying. Btw its a Compaq Presario V6642EM

AMD Turion x64x2 1.9Ghz
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    160GB Fujitsu HD

Thank Post
    Make sure that the outlet for the fan is not blocked in anyway & the same for any air intakes. You can often get to fans on laptops by removing a cover underneath, that should allow you to clean it up or replace it if it needs it.

Thank Post
    well,, lets just make something clear, the fan actually helps to cool the Processor it does not blow any air flow to the hard drives, and also something else for sure is not that easy to open de cover from the laptop and then reach the fan to clean, I did it with mine, but just I cleaned some of it because the fan was embedded in some kind of case that is attached to some pipes and the heatsink so not so easy after all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought that the key thing to do is to find the model of the hard drive (go to properties of the drive in Explorer and then the hardware tab)

When you know that, go to the manufacturer's web site and download the data sheet. This will tell you the safe working temperature. If you're inside that temperature then you don't need to worry; if it's not then start to worry :-)

the fan isn't directly designed to cool the hard drive, but if it's not cooling the CPU properly then the excess heat will spread out in the machine and this will lead to the HDD over heating.

Thank Post
    My DV1000 gets hard drive temps between 40 and 55 degrees, there's certainly no cooling around it either. So far though, it's been 3 years and it's always checked out fine, no soft / hard errors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDejaVu View Post
    well,, lets just make something clear, the fan actually helps to cool the Processor it does not blow any air flow to the hard drives, and also something else for sure is not that easy to open de cover from the laptop and then reach the fan to clean, I did it with mine, but just I cleaned some of it because the fan was embedded in some kind of case that is attached to some pipes and the heatsink so not so easy after all.
    Yes the fan is designed to cool the CPU, but if any of the airflow vents are clogged, this will affect the heat of the whole system.
    Agreed that most laptop fans are difficult to access, but some are only under a cover. I was working on a Lenovo only last week & I had easy access to the system fan. Others can be accessed by removing the keyboard. Some are a right pain. Before attempting to access anything on a laptop you should ensure that the warranty has lapsed & try to get hold of a service manual, these help in disassembly of the machine (location of screws, amount of screws that need removing etc.)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help, gonna check out the data sheet for it soon. Unfortunately, the shape of the laptop is chamfered in to the base so when its set on say a bed it just sinks in and the fans get blocked, not a lot I can do about that. Here's its pic to show my point.

Will I not void my warranty by opening it up?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Images/c00668289.jpg
    Last edited by originofsymmetry; 16th July 2008 at 12:24 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread