+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP L7780 all in one digital filing to Server 203 in Technical; Morning! Trying to get the scanning to network (digital filing) working on our HP L7780 All in one printers. Had ...
    Thank Post

HP L7780 all in one digital filing to Server 203

Morning!

Trying to get the scanning to network (digital filing) working on our HP L7780 All in one printers. Had it set up fine when we were on Server 2000 but since moving to Server 2003 it just won't play.
    Keep getting 'Can not connect to \\server\share Check the remote computer is switched on'.
    I've tested it with saving to a Win XP share and it's fine. It must be something it doesn't like about the server or AD authentication. I've tried the share with everyone with read write access and various usernames. Yesterday, I managed to get it to come up with a username/password error by using the full domain name of the server (\\server.school.lea.sch.uk\share) but today that doesn't work?!

Any ideas? I shouldn't have to install any software on the server should I?

Thank Post
    Hey Ian,

As weird, paranoia inducing irony would have it I was looking at this yesterday on our L7780's and found much the same issue(s) as you... It seems the whole thing is a bit broken or in need of something a lot less ACL friendly than I first expected.

I'm not in school today but if you want to try, I'd give it a shot with a 2k3 server share space with full control on it and ACL's set accordingly and then work your way from there.. To date I tried this:

- set use hpscan in AD (just as a domain user)
    - set share space in a DFS share (eg: \\SCHOOL\share\__SCANS\ )
    - set permissions for main share as EVERYONE full control
    - set ACL's for parent folders as restrictive
    - set ACL's for the __SCANS folder (which is what I set to scan to) as FULL CONTROL for the hpscan user
    - setup HP scanner digital filing to use the user SCHOOL\hpscan... also tried hpscan on own

In all cases I got the username/password wrong error...

Having done a bit more digging it does, unfortunately looking look like HP have lied, I mean, expanded somewhat on what the printer can actually do. From what I can tell the only way to get it working is by using a standard WinXP machine, and not a server network share. Even then it seems that the requirement is for the XP machine to be setup with all the software so that's a non-starter as you end up with a load of rubbish installed then.

I'll let you know if I ever solve this one though...

Thank Post
    Bit more of a trawl and found these possibles to try:

1. Try using an IP for the share instead of the machine name
    2. Try setting the share to allow anyone to connect and write and leave the username/pass blank

.. also a few weird things to watch out for if you do get it working:
    1. The system corrupts 8 page scans into a single PDF... works fine for 7 or 9 but not 8...

2. Apparently multiple IP's (including VM guest OS's) will hit problems if you use the machine name to connect. You'll need to use the IP you want the printer to connect to and this may actually explain why we're having so many problems with the server setup as they naturally are multi-homed...

3. Apparently you can reset the printer by switching the unit off, unplugging it and then hold the # and 6 keys down while you plug it back in and turn it on again.

... Oh and no shock that HP support are a complete waste of time on this...
    Last edited by contink; 11th July 2008 at 09:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks contink. I'm sure I've tried all of those things (I think we must have been in some kind of parallel universe yesterday... what did you have for lunch?). Using an IP seems to bum out before without even trying.
    It's so frustrating. It worked beautifully with Server 2k. I was wondering if it was something to do with changing the domain schema to 2003 or if, by default in 2003, some sort of old authentication method was off - I remember being able to enable/disable clear text or kerbos or something somewhere, but can't recall where.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    Thanks contink. I'm sure I've tried all of those things (I think we must have been in some kind of parallel universe yesterday... what did you have for lunch?).
    Lunch? what was that? ... I think it must have been like that though.. weird.

Using an IP seems to bum out before without even trying.
    I've just been trying it on our home L7680 and the use of the IP just means the printer doesn't spend any time trying to resolve the IP from DNS. In short it makes testing quicker but yeah it doesn't work.

It's so frustrating. It worked beautifully with Server 2k. I was wondering if it was something to do with changing the domain schema to 2003 or if, by default in 2003, some sort of old authentication method was off - I remember being able to enable/disable clear text or kerbos or something somewhere, but can't recall where.
    I noticed in one of the posts I read that Server 2k worked straight away so it may indeed be something like reversible encryption or similar.

What I do know is that when I set the folder to be EVERYONE full control on share permissions and ACL's, then wiped the username and password... still errors out. I think it's basically HP doing their usual ostrich impression and I doubt it'll get fixed until the big customers slap their sales reps for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    What I do know is that when I set the folder to be EVERYONE full control on share permissions and ACL's, then wiped the username and password... still errors out. I think it's basically HP doing their usual ostrich impression and I doubt it'll get fixed until the big customers slap their sales reps for it.
    I've submitted a support request, for all the good that'll do. I might give Martin at Ebuyer an email and see if he can put some pressure on.
    They will probably release a firmware update, that will then break the ARC!

Thank Post
    I've submitted a support request, for all the good that'll do. I might give Martin at Ebuyer an email and see if he can put some pressure on.
    They will probably release a firmware update, that will then break the ARC!
    LOL... no kidding... I doubt Martin will have much for us but it's worth a shot...

I think the differences between win2k and win2k3 user accounts is worth pursuing though as looking at the account tab for my hpscan account it seems there may be a way to resolve this.

Thank Post
    Just tried enabling reversable encryption and disabling kerbos preauthentication. no difference there.

Thank Post
    Just tried enabling reversable encryption and disabling kerbos preauthentication. no difference there.
    Yeah. me too... nada... I think I'll see if folks come up with anything on this:
    Differences server 2k vs' 2k3

Thank Post
    Resurrecting a dead old thread but just with an update as I've tried to get things setup on the Windows 2008 R2 domain and had similar lack of joy..

The simplest work-around for any of these old printers is to plugin a memory stick/card in the appropriate front right slot and use the "scan to memory device" option.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread