+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Flogging old laptops in Technical; Hello A teacher is leaving the school over summer and wants to buy their >5 year old laptop from us. ...
    Thank Post

Flogging old laptops

Hello

A teacher is leaving the school over summer and wants to buy their >5 year old laptop from us.

It's a Toshiba Sat Pro SPA10, Celeron 2Ghz 265Mb RAM, 30Gb HDD. How much would you sell it for? The teacher doesn't want to pay much (shocker - tighter than a gnats anus!) but I don't want to give it away.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeaste View Post
    It's a Toshiba Sat Pro SPA10, Celeron 2Ghz 265Mb RAM, 30Gb HDD.
    Check eBay. There's Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000s going for around £150, they seem around the same, so I would think £100 - £150 is about right.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Suppose not really much help to you but what we do is that when staff laptops get replaced (usually a few at a time) we do a secret bid with a minimum value. The highest bids win.

We've used this method so that all staff get chance to buy laptops and there can be no accusations about favouritism.

4. Thanks to antoeknee from:

Wildebeaste (3rd July 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The teacher doesn't want to pay much (shocker - tighter than a gnat's anus!) but I don't want to give it away.
    I appreciate that Edugeek is becoming a "let's slag off the teachers" web site, but would *you* want to pay much for a 5 year old, low spec laptop??

The sealed bid idea is a good one to make sure you avoid favouritism etc but actually a machine of that age has essentially zero value.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    The sealed bid idea is a good one to make sure you avoid favouritism etc but actually a machine of that age has essentially zero value.
    I tend to agree - if staff wanted to make a nominal donation to the school then I would say that would be about right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Original price - 25% of that value for each year?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I appreciate that Edugeek is becoming a "let's slag off the teachers" web site, but would *you* want to pay much for a 5 year old, low spec laptop??

Zero monetary value maybe but not zero educational value to the school. It may be slower and older but if it could still fill a role of any value at the school then you should at least price it reasonably. You do not work for the teachers, you work for the school and it is the schools interests that you should be looking out for.

If the school is still in need of a spare laptop or temporary laptop for some student with a busted arm then it is going to be a lot cheaper to keep the old laptop around with a little ram upgrade than sell it at an unreasonably low cost to a teacher and then use the schools money to buy a whole new laptop to replace it.

All of this depends on the situation of the school but don't be pressured to give the school a raw deal to satisfy a teacher. Especially one that is leaving.

Thank Post
    Sometimes I feel like flogging the laptops but it never solves problems!

Thank Post

Flogging kit

Not to be the one to be a wel blanket:

But:

You are selling equipment bought with public money so you HAVE to be totaly above board or the audit office will have your arse in a sling.

So you will need to establish going rate (Ebay - easy)

Document Document Document - cover your backside

Remove the Hard Disk so you cannot fall foul of Data - Protection & Licensing. and no, a format isn't good enough.

Get a senior member of staff, and if the school has a policy (the NCC does) then you need to do a disposal form that the Gov-Board have agreed to, to then sign it off.

Get the Bursar to agree to it so they can edit the asset list, and take it of the capital list.

Get the purchaser to sign a full wavier that they are totaly responsible for it, sold as seen, no comebacks - no even if it somehow self-implodes and removes existance as we know it - not the schools problem.

etc etc.

Thank Post
    Hello

A teacher is leaving the school over summer and wants to buy their >5 year old laptop from us.

It's a Toshiba Sat Pro SPA10, Celeron 2Ghz 265Mb RAM, 30Gb HDD. How much would you sell it for? The teacher doesn't want to pay much (shocker - tighter than a gnats anus!) but I don't want to give it away.

Any ideas?

Ta.
    and to answer tha value question : its not worth a lot.

I have these in the school as well and i am about to pass a laptop safe full (16 units) to one of our feeder schools.

Units on Ebay for around £40.
    Commercial value - zip
    Battery may be shot - thats £60 to replace.

Nothing wrong with it per-say, and it depends on the school operation. In my site its has no use so i am passing it down as its past its lifecycle.

You biggest issues is more likly to be the pouting about not getting the chance to bid for it or buy one themselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread