+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Replacing switches around school in Technical; Hello, I have just go the goahead to start a program to replace the switches around school. We are all ...
    Thank Post

Replacing switches around school

Hello,

I have just go the goahead to start a program to replace the switches around school.

We are all Cisco at the moment, expect for one (Netgear) They are either Catalist 2950 and 3500.

Budget is going to be tight, so I was not looking to replace with Cisco, do you guys have any recommendations?

The Cisco switches have been in for I think around 7-8 years since the network was built and not once has there been problem, so reliabilty is my main focus.

cheers

Ste.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mullet_man View Post
    Hello,

I have just go the goahead to start a program to replace the switches around school.

We are all Cisco at the moment, expect for one (Netgear) They are either Catalist 2950 and 3500.

Budget is going to be tight, so I was not looking to replace with Cisco, do you guys have any recommendations?

The Cisco switches have been in for I think around 7-8 years since the network was built and not once has there been problem, so reliabilty is my main focus.

cheers

Ste.
    Hi there,

We are also all cisco in network inftrastructure as well. I think you may want the 2950 to keep going until they just expire as they are still good switches i think with the latest EMI IOS upgrade. The 3500 does have some limitations so you may want to replace these with either 2960s or 3550/3560s i would not bother with the 3750 as these are not really for access/edge later more of core/distribution thing.

If yo are looking to replace the core then you have a choice of either 4500 chassis based or linking multiple of 3750s together as a cluster to give you the same functionality.

Its also worth having a contract for the core to give you upgrades and also of course to cover for parts and support. I thik you need a support contract on one of the switches to be able to down the ios from cisco's website.

At present we have a 6509, 4509 and many 2950s and few 2960 switches. In total we have around 45-50 switches across the school.

HTH,

Ash.

Thank Post
    In total we have 13 to replace, excluding the core.

Am gonna get information together, the head doesn't want to wait for them to go down she wants to replace them all, who am I to argue

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread