+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Hardware Thread, "The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant" in Technical; We've got a vanilla XP system on our admin network which has suddenly developed a nice BSOD along the lines ...
  1. #1
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36

    "The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant"

    We've got a vanilla XP system on our admin network which has suddenly developed a nice BSOD along the lines of the title of this thread. Having never seen this before, and given it mentions the BIOS, I tried the obvious things such as loading defaults, removing CMOS battery for ~10mins (it loaded safe mode once after reinserting, but then after a reboot the same BSOD appears), and i'm at a loss as to what it could be.

    We have reinstalled the BIOS with the latest version (whether that was an upgrade or the same version), yet this again hasn't helped. Could be looking at failed hardware? Could the BIOS be irrepairable?

    Technical information, as usual, is of no help whatsoever!!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,157
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    How old is the motherboard? I haven't seen this message for ages - the last time was on a machine with a very old BIOS which had an ACPI/non-ACPI option.

    Could it just be a corrupt Windows install? Have you tried reimaging?

  3. #3
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    How old is the motherboard? I haven't seen this message for ages - the last time was on a machine with a very old BIOS which had an ACPI/non-ACPI option.

    Could it just be a corrupt Windows install? Have you tried reimaging?
    Computer is 2yrs old, and many others from the batch are fine. Thing is, even when we go in to the recovery (it has a recovery partition), or load XP from disk, it'll go back to this BSOD - so we can't even reimage the machine!

  4. #4

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,225
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    780
    Try swapping out the powersupply, if the control circutry is faulty the BIOS could be detecting this and disabling ACPI support that it knows it can't provide. I've had a couple of pcs that simply would not install Windows because the power supply was providing rubbish data to the motherboard.

  5. #5
    flashsnaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brighton, East Sussex
    Posts
    442
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    You should be able to re-image.

    Free way is to download the Ultimate boot cd, and boot off that disk. Theres a few free utilities for cloning on there, which are simply to use.

    Make sure you have a good functioning harddrive from an identical machine, to take the image from.

  6. #6
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 220 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    I've had that before and it was nothing to do with ACPI, was some weird bug in the BIOS that caused the BSOD if USB KB \ Mouse support were turned on. Just noticed you've done the CMOS reset (that fixed my prob at the time), and updated BIOS which helped us so maybe something else at play... tried other hardware out jsut in case something is causing it?

  7. #7
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Try swapping out the powersupply, if the control circutry is faulty the BIOS could be detecting this and disabling ACPI support that it knows it can't provide. I've had a couple of pcs that simply would not install Windows because the power supply was providing rubbish data to the motherboard.
    Just popped in another power supply and only hooked up the HDD and Motherboard - no change.

    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    You should be able to re-image.

    Free way is to download the Ultimate boot cd, and boot off that disk. Theres a few free utilities for cloning on there, which are simply to use.

    Make sure you have a good functioning harddrive from an identical machine, to take the image from.
    Can't boot from anything (including disk), so this may be difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I've had that before and it was nothing to do with ACPI, was some weird bug in the BIOS that caused the BSOD if USB KB \ Mouse support were turned on. Just noticed you've done the CMOS reset (that fixed my prob at the time), and updated BIOS which helped us so maybe something else at play... tried other hardware out jsut in case something is causing it?
    I've cleared the BIOS again and noticed that by default the USB kb/mouse setting is enabled, so decided to disable it and see what would happen. Unfortunately, again, no change! I managed to load Windows again after first boot, but going in to safe mode, yet a reboot again in normal Windows mode returns to this screen! I am at a loss, although I also agree it is very unlikely anything to do with ACPI (given other machines in this batch work fine, all same spec).

    Dave

  8. #8
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Noone got any more suggestions for this? Seems the most common remedies have been tried in vain!

  9. #9
    themightymrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,220
    Thank Post
    216
    Thanked 226 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    73

    How I fixed it

    I had the exact same problem, in the end I found it to be a faulty memory module! Replaced the RAM stick and cured all problems, nothing to do with ACPI at all. Very confusing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. "Print Limit Pro" or "Print Managent Plus"
    By burgemaster in forum Windows
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10th June 2009, 09:32 AM
  2. "Error 403" & "Moved to here" message
    By tech_guy in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 01:07 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6th July 2007, 09:42 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th September 2006, 07:06 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th June 2006, 09:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •