+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, All In One PC's in Technical; Hi there, Can anyone recommend a good all in one pc and how you have found them in terms of ...

Thank Post

Exclamation All In One PC's

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a good all in one pc and how you have found them in terms of saving space and if you have used them in IT rooms, or to put in a class room?

At the moment the school I work in want to get more laptop trolley's, laptop trolley's are handy, but they can't give access all day as they need charging, are expensive to fix at times like broken screens and keyboards.
    My plan was to put pc';s around the bigger class room's where there is already electrics and adding extra network points would not be a problem, I could fit 15-16 pc's around the edges and have normal class room tables in the middle of the room.

Has anyone tried the above and did it work ?

Thanks

Jay

Thank Post
    Hi Jay

Please see here

We just had 300 in but these have all gone back out again to customers. Next lot of free stock is due in to us in around 2 weeks

Please let me know if you would like a quotation

Regards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Jay View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good all in one pc
    We're planning to buy (hopefully!) a bunch of those all-in-ones from SCL for our new multimedia suite. If you don't need full PC capability in classrooms, though, you could look at thin clients - several are made these days that are small enough to fit on the VESA mount on the back of a screen. I was looking at the nComputing system this morning, that looks like it might be quite suitable for use in classrooms as you suggest.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We purchased 180 (ish) RM One PCs about 3 years ago and we have found them to be brilliant. I know a lot of people don't like buying RM products however the RM One has saved us loads of time and money as they are very child proof (a must in my school!) and they rarely go wrong (in my experience). Plus, when out of warranty we've had no problems in getting parts to fix them ourselves.

They are slightly more costly than other all-in-one products but after looking at others I have always gone back to RM.

Also, I've seen the concept pictures for the next generation and I must say they've improved on an already excellent product.

Thank Post
    We have loads of ultra slim HP dc7600 & dc 7700, been very good, only problem is the support is a bit automated. Just unboxed a new dc7800, much smaller, and very nice looking. Shame though it has an external power brick and is only available with widescreen monitors (will have to have a different PC to use on the whiteboard).

The biggest difference it's made to us is we can build IT rooms with 60mm benching instead of 90mm. Makes the rooms feel a lot bigger while giving us rooms for more computers.

We've got one of the first batch of Viglen's Omnino 3, due to land in August. My boss was very impressed when he saw them at BETT.

Thank Post

All In One

Completely agree with tobyhacker. We have some RM One's and some NS Optimum All-In-One's and the RM's have been much better. More reliable and, so far, undamaged

We have had to send quite a few components from the NS Optimum's back as they arrived faulty or went faulty after a short time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyhacker View Post
    We purchased 180 (ish) RM One PCs about 3 years ago and we have found them to be brilliant. I know a lot of people don't like buying RM products however the RM One has saved us loads of time and money as they are very child proof (a must in my school!) and they rarely go wrong (in my experience). Plus, when out of warranty we've had no problems in getting parts to fix them ourselves.
    We're considering them for our sixth which we're hoping to revamp next year. DO you have any issues using them with a non RM network?

Thank Post
    We've got one of the first batch of Viglen's Omnino 3, due to land in August. My boss was very impressed when he saw them at BETT.
    Out of interest do you have any info on those? Image or specs would be handy.

Thank Post
    Just finished installing 16 Dell Optiplex 755 USFF all in one pc's in a suite, and have ordered another 40 for various schools that we support. They have been really good, and no one could come anywhere near them on price, although I think the LEA have a contract negotiated with Dell.

Steve

Thank Post
    We use our RM Ones on a CC3 network however, I know a couple of schools who are using them on non RM networks and they have no problems at all. If we ever decide to move from a CC3 network we would still keep buying the RM Ones.

As K.C.Leblanc mentioned - being able to have smaller desks is spot on, we have a mixture in our rooms where we have some with deeper desks which allow students to work infront of the PCs with plenty of room if the teacher doesn't require the use of the network.

Thank Post
    Hi,

We have had 66 RM Ones for just over 3 years and out of that we have had to call out RM (onsite agreement) for approx 15 faults. Most of the faults have been minor such as the vdu power button being pushed too hard, however a few have been motherboard or cpu failures. Having said that we have been very happy with them and are considering replacing them with more of the same this year.

However we are looking at other options such as dual boot imacs and a new all in one pc from Ergo. The Ergo PC looks very similar to the imac but it has a maximum 19" screen but it can be a touch screen as an option. I will know more soon as we are getting a demo model to try out this week.

Also have you considered the new HP Touchsmart PC ? It does seem to be aimed more at the home pc market but is an all in one with a 22" screen which is also a touch screen.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    We're considering them for our sixth which we're hoping to revamp next year. DO you have any issues using them with a non RM network?
    We have several RM One's on our non Rm network and they work fine. Also probably the least bother of all our PC's. I'm about to buy 25 more!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Something else to add to the mix. Asus Eee AIO Doesn't help now but in the future.

As for now have to aggree that the Dell 755 USFF with AIO monitor is great. Looking at getting some AIO desktops soon too. Also looking at the HP dc7800 Ultra Slim Desktop but it is already looking expensive compared to the Dell.

Thank Post
    another vote here for RM one's had 8 a few years back and been brilliant - would buy again

Thank Post
    We've had 40 RM Ones for about a year and they've been great, but....

They're expensive. The best price we were offered was about 50% more than Dell or Lenovo (IBM) USFF machines with the special stand to make them an all-in-one. This is for the Rm One ecoquiet - the standard model was only 30% more expensive.

The screen is an integral part of the RM One so has to be disposed of when the PC reaches the end of its useful life. Re-using the screens should save us maybe £100 per machine next time round.

Interestingly, RM are now HP resellers. The prices we were offered are more in line with Dell and Lonovo, though buying from HP direct or another reseller might be cheaper still. I haven't checked as we preferred the design of the Lenovo and RMs offer of the HPs came to late in the cycle to do a proper evaluation. The only thing I don't like is the external power brick.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast