+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, All In One PC's in Technical; Thank you for all the replies, I should have a few demo units to trial in the next few weeks, ...

Thank Post
    Thank you for all the replies, I should have a few demo units to trial in the next few weeks, although RM seem to be popular, there are other manufacturers with very similar designs with much better pricing.

I do think the all in one option is going to be much better than getting a laptop trolley, should work out cheaper and also give better access to IT for the students.

Do you guys/gals reckon I'm looking at this in the right way by not opting for laptop trolley's ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Jay View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, I should have a few demo units to trial in the next few weeks, although RM seem to be popular, there are other manufacturers with very similar designs with much better pricing.

I do think the all in one option is going to be much better than getting a laptop trolley, should work out cheaper and also give better access to IT for the students.

Do you guys/gals reckon I'm looking at this in the right way by not opting for laptop trolley's ?
    Yes - I hate laptop trolleys (mainl because they get the keys picked off them here and staff don't understand how wireless works!)

Thank Post
    Yes, desktops are a much better solution than laptop trolleys technically and economically. We have four trolleys of 16 laptops and would willingly swap them for 100 desktops which would probably cost about the same (whole life cost) and cause far fewer support issues.

Thank Post

just a question............

does anyone here know if these 'all in one' pcs have a free pci slot?
    or are they more based around a laptop type motherboard?

Thank Post
    It depends which one you are looking at there are three main types of all in one system

Desktop based; uses custom chassis but is standards based uses matx mainboard 3.5" hdd sfx psu etc, easier to upgrade and add, SCL units have all slots available as low profile. (SCL RM Viglen)

Mobile based; Notebook on a stick uses mobile cpus memory typically no expansion slots or mini pci express such as Celvo units (novatech/ergo) normally smallest footprint, worst value for money

USSF to back of monitor or monitor stand; custom chassi psu mainboard, very small can use desktop components. (Dell/HP)

There are a lot of options out there.

6. Thanks to PeterW from:

farmerste (4th July 2008)

Thank Post
    I think the RM one ecoquiet PCs are based mainly on laptop-type motherboards.

We will have 246 RM One's by September 2008, have been brilliant, I would recommend them even though they are far from cheap.

For lighter use PCs thin clients is certainly worth investigating, provided you have a Terminal server with enough memory to handle the simultaneous sessions!

Thank Post

Wink PC that is an All In One.

I supply to schools the HP USDT All In One PC.

If interested - get in touch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KELWAYEDUCATION View Post
    I supply to schools the HP USDT All In One PC.

If interested - get in touch.

Im sure people appreciate your informative post but if you are a supplier and you wish to advertise your services then do what all of us have to do and that is sponsor the forums and use the advertising forum to promote your services and products otherwise you may be seen as a little spammy lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Jay View Post

No, i think you should go down the laptop trolley route. Were putting our 5th laptop trolley in this summer, staff would go crazy without them now. They are used so much. Staff love being in there own room and having all kids on a computer.

In september our total will be 160 laptops for pupil usage in trolleys (and 205 PC's for Kids, not bad for a 490 pupil school).

I have as yet to see the issues raised in this thread be an issue in the 2.5 years we have had trolleys.

Battery power - Make sure you get the right batterys when you buy and they will last all day. Our current ones last every lesson with 2 lessons, 15 min charge (break), 2 lessons, 50 minute charge (lunch), 2 lessons. The acer 80% rapid charge in 1 hour feature helps here.

Wireless - We sometimes have almost 50 laptops to 1 Access Point. The kids or teachers do not complain of slow down, and they work just fine. That might be because as much as possable is stored locally nothing comes up and down the wireless if it does not have too.

No roaming profiles, profiles are stored on laptop, so its just the group policy setting and drive mapping. After that traffic is just internet and my document/shared area access.

Parts - We have had a few keys pulled off, we bought 4 keyboards at £400. We just replace the key not the keyboard, if the orginal key cannot be found and the spring is bust. So far these have lasted the few occations

We also have had 1 screen go, we just wrote the laptop off. So its not an awful lot of cost in the years we have had them.

Plus you can now pick up half decent laptops for less than £300, not like 4 years ago when you were talking £1000 almost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    The HP dc7800 (like the one pictured above) doesn't have a PCI slot, it even uses laptop hard drives and memory and has an external PSU.

12. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

farmerste (11th September 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12