+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Which Backup Hardware to use in Technical; I've seen people use 5 x usb2 external HDD as backup devices quite effectively. personally use a twin drive lto3 ...

Thank Post

Re: Which Backup Hardware to use

I've seen people use 5 x usb2 external HDD as backup devices quite effectively.

personally use a twin drive lto3 24 cassette autoloader, but I have an awful lot more than 20GB to backup.

Whatever you're choosing try to think 3-5 years ahead & over spec.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Thanks for your replies, although I'm no nearer making a decision. Blimey! Dos_Box that Tandberg thingy is nearly 3 grand! and I thought 900 quid was expensive.for the HP Ultrium Just shows you how out of touch I am :-)

As for backing up on site "broc", lets hope the building doesn't go up in flames, cos I was under the impression that back ups should be taken off-site. It would be interesting to learn of other folks methods. At the moment I'm using an HP internal drive and I back every day on a monthly cycle, hence 20 tapes. So that way at least if the data was corrupt for a long time, there's a good chance that we could recover. - or not

I'll stay away from the Sony then
    Our onsite backup is a fair way from the server room; Our sports hall is a seperate building, there's at least 75m of grass & tarmac between it & the main building, and the building housing the servers is at least 300m away with another building in-between so I reckon we are reasonably safe! We had a trench dug to run fibre to the sports hall so staff could be 'online', this gets used overnight for backup. The fire safe is located in yet another building, in the opposite direction from the DR server.

All the buildings are linked with glass 'tunnels' so it would take a major disaster with total site loss before we would lose tape backups, main servers, and the DR server. The likely scenarios that would cause this, such as meltdown of the nearby nuclear power station, or a major chemical spillage leaking toxic corrosive chemicals, or an aeroplane crash were accepted by my SMT as being sufficiently low risk to be ignored.

As a matter of interest, how many people using tape backups have tried recovering their data by inserting their backup tapes in a different drive from the one used to write it? The reason I ask is a few years ago a major high street bank I used to work with (as a DR consultant) reckoned >50% of the tape drives in their branch office network would not read tapes created elsewhere. Makes you wonder how reliable your tapes would be if your servers were toasted and you needed to recover on a nice shiny new server, with a nice shiny new tape drive.......

I would never ever trust tape as my only backup media.

Thank Post

I've dealt with TechMS a couple of times. They helped me set up a primary school ICT system. Good service. They gave me a good cost effective solution. Combination of PC's, Servers and peripherals.

Being an ex - IT guy from the city (Morgan Stanley, not that they knew) they didn't try and flog me off with rubbish. I like that, so many companies have wasted my precious time. You don't need that when your teaching, its good to get good advise straight away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I know that NTBackup needs the catalogues stored on the server to work correctly, had a tape drive go silly once, put a temp identical one in its place, it just about worked. But it doesn't surprise me at all, but we rely on tape and tape alone, but we are going to instigate Shadow Copies and that other server thingy MSFT launched, as well as a copy to a Terrastore that is going to be in a cleaners cupboard on another site for remote copying, so I would hope that we should be fairly safe with all that.

Thank Post

@darren.rowe: Retrospect stores the catalogues on the tapes so any using the solution I have, any LTO2 drive should do the trick (it doesn't even need to be the Tandberg Autoloader) and the catalogues can easily be recovered from the tapes. Obviously it's a bit slower than using the cached catalogue on the hard disk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12