+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Projector Mount in Technical; Hi, Our refurb building is up to the stage where I need to purchase the mounts for the projectors. The ...

Thank Post

Projector Mount

Hi,

Our refurb building is up to the stage where I need to purchase the mounts for the projectors. The problem is that there is very limited places to mount them so they are around 4 metres from the screen so I reckon I need a long throw lense.
    Also the mount needs to screw horizontally into a beam and then the mount hand down through the ceiling tiles. Has anyone ever bought one of these.? I found this one ppc130 projector mount | Projector Ceiling Mounts which looks like it will do the job and I really like the vogels kits so I would like to use them if they do the job.

Any recommendations on projectors? I was going to go for a short throw projector like the Hitachi ones but decided against it due to cost but I reckon I might end up spending a similar amount

Any help would be great

Thank Post
    Not knowing your budget all I can do is show you the projectors and mounts I get.

I get these projectors mainly because they are backed by Becta and come with a free replacement bulb.
    Epson EMP-S5 SVGA projector - 2000 ANSI lumens - Misco.co.uk

I get these brackets to go with them
    Vision Techmount TM1800 projector bracket - Misco.co.uk

I get these breakout boxes to go with the projectors
    Vision facility plate and cable kit - Misco.co.uk

Obviously those aren't educational prices.

When it come to mounting them I do one of two things depending on the type of ceiling.
    If it is a false ceiling that doesn't have removable tiles, Ill drill holes through the ceiling board and use spring wing bolts to fasten the mounting plate.

If its a false ceiling with removable tiles, either metal or those paper mulch ones. I get two pieces of 3m long 2x3 timber and rest them on the metal framework of the ceiling. I then screw the mounting plate to the timber.
    I did have my doubts about the safety of this at first, but last summer hols we had a break in. They tried to grab the projector, but couldn't get it. The timber didn't break, the bracket didn't break and neither did the metal framework of the ceiling. The only thing that broke was on of the ceiling tiles.

HTH
    Last edited by Whitestar; 9th June 2008 at 09:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Hi,

Our refurb building is up to the stage where I need to purchase the mounts for the projectors. The problem is that there is very limited places to mount them so they are around 4 metres from the screen so I reckon I need a long throw lense.
    Also the mount needs to screw horizontally into a beam and then the mount hand down through the ceiling tiles. Has anyone ever bought one of these.? I found this one ppc130 projector mount | Projector Ceiling Mounts which looks like it will do the job and I really like the vogels kits so I would like to use them if they do the job.

Any recommendations on projectors? I was going to go for a short throw projector like the Hitachi ones but decided against it due to cost but I reckon I might end up spending a similar amount

Any help would be great
    I would be happy to come & take a look. I have been selling AV into schools for 15 years, so I am sure I will have a solution.

PM me if you want to take me up on the offer.

No obligation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitestar View Post
    I get these projectors mainly because they are backed by Becta and come with a free replacement bulb.
    Epson EMP-S5 SVGA projector - 2000 ANSI lumens - Misco.co.uk
    That's curious, considering that Becta said not to exceed 1500 lumens for H&S reasons...

Thank Post
    The one thing I'd ensure, is that the projector mount is "universal". In two/three years time, when the cost of re-lamping exceeds the cost of the latest projector, you won't want to be changing the mount too.

Thank Post
    I thought most people were going for the 'all in one' solutions now? All our new boards are all-in-one type.
    One thing to possibly consider is the teachers eyes. With the long throw ones they've got to move about abit more to avoid looking into the light (I know this may not concern you). The all-in-one jobbys seem to be much better as the light is almost directly above the teacher, and as such they're not looking into the beam all the time.

I also find the Smart all-in-one whiteboards to be much less of a pain to maintain than the traditional setup.

Thank Post
    Don't the SMART All-in-one boards still have a really bad problem with certain colours?

I was told by an ex SMART engineer it was donw to the cheap and naf short throw projectors they were built on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafty View Post
    Don't the SMART All-in-one boards still have a really bad problem with certain colours?
    Not noticed it if they do, and none of the teachers have complained about image quality. I'm really impressed with their all-in-ones, and we're buying them as standard now when we get new IWBs. The height-adjustable ones are neat if you're a Primary, well worth the extra few hundred in my opinion.

Thank Post
    I'm with NickJones. If anything I think the quality is quite good. The speakers always amaze me aswell. You'd expect some crap and quiet whipser but they're quite a loud speaker. Certainlly loud enough for the classroom!
    We use the all-in-one SMART as standard.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    That's curious, considering that Becta said not to exceed 1500 lumens for H&S reasons...
    Those Epsons are 2000 / 1500 in Eco mode ( I think...). Most Epsons that are sold as 2000 are 1500 in Eco Mode, and the last couple I got had a great warranty offer, use them in Ecomode only and you get a 3 year lamp warranty on the original lamp and the replacements

Thank Post
    Why buy a 2000 lumen projector if you're going to turn it down to "eco" mode and run it at 1500? Why not save some cash and buy 1500 lumen projectors?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    because they don't exist much, plus a 3 year unlimited hours bulb warranty on a £300 projector isn't bad and the bulbs are cheaper on these than lighter use ones.

Those would be my points, and you could also, if required and correctly risk assessed, turn it up to 2000 if you needed it.

Thank Post
    I decided to go for the vogels mounts and they are very good. The usualy universal clamp for the projector and a multi angle tilt at the top, very impressed and they look heaps better than cheaper models.

Now I need to find a projector that does 16:9 as thats a cheaper way to get round the distance to screen than buying lenses.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread