+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Colour LaserJet 2605dn printing in b/w from Win2k clients in Technical; I have installed a new HP Colour LaserJet 2605dn. The test page prints fine across the network from the server. ...
    Thank Post

Colour LaserJet 2605dn printing in b/w from Win2k clients

I have installed a new HP Colour LaserJet 2605dn. The test page prints fine across the network from the server. XP clients print fine. But the Win2k clients are printing in black and white. I've checked the printer properties on the older clients, and nothing is set to print in b/w as far as I can see. The server is Win 2003. When I installed, I used the Add Printer Wizard on the server, and was prompted at one stage for the CD which came with the printer, and so the drivers installed are from there. I suspect this is a driver issue, perhaps with me needing to install additional drivers for the older clients?? Not sure how to go about fixing things though. I've been on HP support site and can't see anything helpful there. Have emailed HP but so far no response.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I agree it would possibly indicate a driver issue. On your print server, navigate to Control Panel > Printers and Faxes.

Right click anywhere in the middle of the window and choose Server Properties. Select the Drivers tab and it should tell you what the driver is compatible with.

Thank Post
    OK, I've done that. The driver for the 2605dn says it is the version for Win2k as well as XP and Server 2003.

Thank Post
    What happens when you set it up locally on the client and don't print through the server?

Thank Post
    I can't physically connect the printer to the client, as it is huge and there is no space or time to move either the client or the printer. Do you mean that I should try the add printer wizard on the client in the same way as I did the server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Do you mean that I should try the add printer wizard on the client in the same way as I did the server?
    Yes, or run the HP set-up software from the CD

Thank Post
    You could also try creating a local port 192.168.1.100 (for example) which matches the port you've used on your server, then install the driver using just the inf files.

To be honest though, you shouldn't have to do this. I have HP2600n's working at a few sites but on XP/2003 only, so I can't try and re-create the problem with 2000.

Thank Post
    Ok. Have run further tests and followed your suggestions - though I agree I shouldn't have to be installing locally! Now a bit baffled, but here is a summary of results so far and maybe someone can work out what is happening!!

1. I had only printed either the test page direct from the server or as a technician user where the printer is connected by a login script. The server test page had colour in the right place, the XP client printed a photo in colour and the Win2k client printed in black and white/grayscale.
    2. I logged in as domain admin on a Win2k client. Used add printer to add the printer as a network printer, and printed a picture to the printer - black and white.
    3. I logged in as domain admin on a Win2k client. Used add printer to add a local (not plug and play) printer, creating a port with the IP address of the printer but not sharing it. Used the CD that came with the printer when prompted, and asked to overwrite the existing files. Test page printed with colour Windows logo.
    4. Used same client as in step 3 and still logged on as domain admin. Printed colour picture. Still black and white!!!
    5. Same client and login as steps 3 and 4. Used Start>Settings>Printers, right clicked the 2605dn printer, chose Properties, clicked on Print Test Page. Colour Windows logo printed.

So the test page prints in colour from the Win2k clients but colour pictures don't???!!!

Thank Post
    I'm going to ask the blindingly obvious now..

Have you checked the printing preferences on the Win2k client to make sure you haven't got something like greyscale selected or similar? Odd stuff can happen in the "Advanced" tabs...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I'm going to ask the blindingly obvious now..

Have you checked the printing preferences on the Win2k client to make sure you haven't got something like greyscale selected or similar? Odd stuff can happen in the "Advanced" tabs...
    Always worth checking the blindingly obvious with me...

But, yes, I have checked the greyscale isn't set in printing prefs - surprisingly for me, one of the first things I checked before asking for help! Must be getting better at this troubleshooting lark!

Thank Post

Sorted. It was the application, not the driver. I was printing the same photo from XP and Win2k, by opening with the default application. On Win2k this is Microsoft Photo Editor, which was discontinued from Office 2003 onwards. It obviously can't cope with the new printer! Annoying, but understandable if you are still running old kit and old software. I printed something from Word in colour and it's fine.

Thank Post
    Glad you got it sorted

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Always worth checking the blindingly obvious with me...

But, yes, I have checked the greyscale isn't set in printing prefs - surprisingly for me, one of the first things I checked before asking for help! Must be getting better at this troubleshooting lark!
    Good grief, what's the world coming too?!!

Congrats on finding the solution and sharing it too...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread