+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Who has a laptop trolley? in Technical; We use two Keep it secure trolleys here. Had them "road tested" by the local crims. Trolley was totalled by ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use two Keep it secure trolleys here. Had them "road tested" by the local crims. Trolley was totalled by crow bars but no laptops were damaged. Brian the guy who works there is a little awkward with off the wall sense of humour if your not used to it, but they are a good company get stuff done. The product is good and they replaced our break in damaged trolley for less than the full price as they could re-use some bits off the old one.

Wireless I use Airport extremes with a mix of XP and mac clients, they need continual re-boots and don't believe what it says on the tin of extending networks. I tried a cloud across the school with them and they couldn't seem to handle it. I now have several separate bridged wireless networks now and it works after a fashion, but the AP needs to follow the batch of PC/MAcs that are assigned to it. I have heard 3rd party that the Cisco version isn't up to much either but I haven't tried this myself.

Thank Post
    We have 3 trolley's here, 2 holding 16 ACER Travelmate 220's (getting on a bit now but a 1.4 centrino should be good enough for playing web games, because lets face it thats all they ever do) and the other trolley has 6 Acer 220's and 6 new Fujitsu Siemens 1.7 celerons in. All have built in wireless and we went down the d-link WAP route. MISTAKE!

Thank Post
    Hello,

I've just brought a new laptop trolley to hold 30 laptops - very nice (Top Tec Security & Industrial Products - UK). For our old laptop trolleys we use to have a wireless point and connect a lead up as neccessary. However, since we now have a site-wide wireless network we are going to be using that, along with a wireless printer to keep it simple.

Rob

Thank Post
    So how long do these laptops and trolleys last? We are looking at this as a possible solution, but it would entail the pupils coming to collect the laptops from a central location (such is the nature of our building, which has lots of stairs). How long do you guys see one lasting, and how long do the laptops last when used by the pupils?

Thank Post
    From my experience, a laptop used by pupils, and charged & stored in a lapsafe every night might make it to the 18 month mark. MIGHT.

Far more likely that the battery will be dead at around 12 months.

Of course, there are exceptions, and no doubt someone will soon post that they've got laptops that are 3 years old and still going. Fair enough, but thats just not been my experience.

Thank Post
    We have a trolley with 30 laptops (weighs an absolute ton) If you are going to buy 30 make sure you consider the weight when pushing it between lessons and also the bigger trolley's are harder to move around and kids dont hold doors or move out of the way for you!

Thank Post
    We have two lapsafes (with Samsung R20s in) in Science which they are responsible for. And two lapsafes with MacBooks in which the Media Technician/Music Teacher looks after. Not *too* much trouble now that we've found an imaging solution that works with the Samsung laptops!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alena View Post
    We have a trolley with 30 laptops (weighs an absolute ton) If you are going to buy 30 make sure you consider the weight when pushing it between lessons and also the bigger trolley's are harder to move around and kids dont hold doors or move out of the way for you!
    I get round the kids not moving out of the way by just ploughing through bags / whatever they leave in my way, and informing crowds of people that the trolley doesn't stop. That's usually enough to scatter them when a 30 laptop capacity lapsafe is heading their way.

doors are a complete pain though

Thank Post

ooh dear

you poor bar-stewards i feel really sorry for you guys

all that worthless, oops sorry, wireless technology , hope you get some proper computers sometime soon -lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @alena:
    your absolutely right on the mark there with your comment, there is a serious health and safety issue which needs to be addressed by anyone who endeavours to go down this route.
    I would not even dream of pushing a lapsafe around with 10 laptops in never mind 30 and i would not expect my technicians to do it either.
    All it takes is for a technician to hurt his/her back whilst pushing one around and who is liable?
    "Where there's blame there's a claim" can see the serious injuries board giving compensation out left right and centre.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12