+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP ProLiant ML115 - £119.99!!! in Technical; Erm...How do you remove the blue plastic covering the second screw hole?...

Thank Post
    Erm...How do you remove the blue plastic covering the second screw hole?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Insight are offering this:

This affordable entry-level server provides a resource-efficient computing solution designed to meet both the IT and budgetary requirements of your business. The HP ProLiant ML115 combines the proven reliability of HP ProLiant technology and the latest AMD processors. The ProLiant ML115 is specifically designed with the needs of small to medium businesses in mind.

1 x 1.8 GHz AMD Dual-Core Opteron
    1 GB memory expandable to 8 GB
    160GB SATA Non-Hot Plug Hard Drive
    3 year warranty

...for £119.99!!! (Ex VAT) Obviously an attempt to strike back at Dell's cheap entry level servers.
    Why not buy them as desktops at that price?? ;-)
    at that kind of spec they're not much use as a server of any description...so desktop is probably a very good use. With the form factor, internal disks and lack of redudant power supply option they are seriously blurring the line between powerful desktop and server from a hardware point of view. Infact i'm not sure you can call it a server.

i personally would have the ML150 w/ hot swap drives as a minimum starting point for a hp 'server'. With a usable number of disks that comes in at considerably more than the price of the ML115.

Although personally i'd favour a dell as an entry level tower server just a shame the dells only support 4 hot-swap SAS/SATA.
    Last edited by torledo; 28th May 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    at that kind of spec they're not much use as a server of any description...so desktop is probably a very good use.
    I disagree. It'd make a good small (ie. enough for our size of school) caching server, a good asterisk phone server, a good web server for a school site (they aren't exactly high demand), a nagios/cacti box, loads of things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I disagree. It'd make a good small (ie. enough for our size of school) caching server, a good asterisk phone server, a good web server for a school site (they aren't exactly high demand), a nagios/cacti box, loads of things.
    but then most cheap desktop pc's can do all of those things....it wouldn't make a particularly good phone server on it's own, in a cluster maybe, but on it's own the lack of redundant power supplies and lack of front accessible RAID drives don't make it a box that can provide any kind of availabiity for use as a softswitch.

It's dirt cheap and that makes it useful for those tasks you mentioned, but i'd hardly call it ideal from a space, manageability or availability point of view.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    but then most cheap desktop pc's can do all of those things....it wouldn't make a particularly good phone server on it's own, in a cluster maybe, but on it's own the lack of redundant power supplies and lack of front accessible RAID drives don't make it a box that can provide any kind of availabiity for use as a softswitch.

It's dirt cheap and that makes it useful for those tasks you mentioned, but i'd hardly call it ideal from a space, manageability or availability point of view.
    You are only looking at the term 'server' from an enterprise pov. I went down the road of a cheap box for our school phone server, as a) it uses less power than full bona-fide server architecture machines, b) it cost hardly anything, so we bought 3 to have 2 spares of everything standing by c) the components are all available 2 minutes down the road at a computer shop.

The maximum downtime of the system would be 10 minutes. The time it took me to whip the broken component out and replace it. Which is better than the old system, which was a 4 hour call out.

To go down the route of a full server route for the server, we would have had to provide more in terms of UPS' in order to provide phone usage in times when the power went off. As it stands, we have an hour of battery before everything needs to be cut off.

So, yes, these servers aren't 'servers' in terms of managability/redundancy, but they are certainly suitable as servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    They are great servers for the market they are aimed at Small Office / Home Office / Small Business. Thats what HP designed them for and aimed them at. When spcing up a Small Office network for say 10 clients max you don't want a big Proliant ML370 chugging away and you often don't have a rack for a DL380 let alone a 1 series. So these mini towers are great, on-board RAID, 4 disks spaces, cheap ram its great and gives the company exactly what they want a full on server network with high end features such as RAID5 for the money of a desktop.

You are, as has been said, thinkin enterprise level but think Small Business and your sorted and can see why they are great. I will use them in large setups as well for simple tasks such as RIS / WDS, Call Logging, Print Server etc as those jobs are TBH not that taxing at all and can benifit from cheap SATA hard drives than the more expensive SCSI or SAS Drives.

Thank Post
    Anyone got this running with 4 NICs?

I have the onboard one, a Intel PCI-E gigabit one, and then 2 3com 10/100 PCI ones.

All picked up apart from one of the 3com cards which seemingly hasn't got any resources available so just sits there with a yellow exclamation mark under Server 2k3.

Wanting to use it as a test virtualization server so having 4 hardware NICs would be very useful...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Why not get a dedicated quad NIC Card?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Why not get a dedicated quad NIC Card?
    How much and where? Never seen one before!

I actually found the problem is not the NICs, but it is soon as I have a PCI-E 16x GFX card in at the same time causes a resource overload. Which sucks because the onboard graphics are terrible! (Considering I would like to do some work at the physical location this becomes a bit of a problem)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    How much and where? Never seen one before!
    The cheapest on Insight is 224 quid, retail Insight UK - Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter - Net...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think dabs have some quad nics for around 100 quid.

dabs.com - D-Link DFE 580TX - network adapter - 4 ports (DFE-580TX)

Also keep in mind bandwidth limitations of your PCI bus when using these. Especially the GigE variants.

Thank Post
    Have just finished setting up one of these (I'm typing this on it) for my sister with XP SP3 on. Just got the Belkin Wireless card left to install and for a damn good price they have a decent home PC

The only additions are a PCI-E graphics and a SB Audigy 2 (plus their wireless card).

Their home PC was BSODing and then I finished it off by flashing the BIOS with the wrong firmware
    Last edited by joe90bass; 2nd June 2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typos due to too much vino

Thank Post
    Also bought one of these for home as a "messing about with" vm box, just need to add a bit more ram and a couple of spare disks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Also bought one of these for home as a "messing about with" vm box, just need to add a bit more ram and a couple of spare disks.
    I got a ML110, have added another same spec hard drive and 4gig of ram.

Should be a good box to play with, will probably run as a Sophos/WSUS/WDS server with spare hard drives holding shadow copies of all files.

Just shy of £400 with vista home oem license. (I have a schools agreement)

Thank Post
    As my sister now has mine as her home PC (she paid me for it though, I'm not that generous!!) I need to buy another one for myself. Any good deals still out there? I've given up waiting for our supplier to come through with a promised quote

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast