+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Server Recommendations in general ... and any HP rackmounts experiences in Technical; Words of caution. Don't try and fit a server into a standard rack, I have one that won't let me ...

Thank Post
    Words of caution.

Don't try and fit a server into a standard rack, I have one that won't let me put the front bezel on.
    If it does fit in then make sure the rack isn't twisted, they are buggers to slide in and out.

I was young and foolish when I bought my rack server, I should have just got a pedestal

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Avoid Prism racks - they are complete and utter sh*t.
    I feel better for getting that off my chest...

Thank Post
    hi guys,

Thanks alot for the input and direction. Especially for the overview of the processors that really helped me out. So far we are now looking at a HP DL360 dual processor, 8 GB ram with SAS disks. Thanks to SynACK for the real world example of implmentation, that helped alot.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    This is our server room, nice a large, 2 x racks so they're not over crowded, air conditioned and no windows. The servers are spaced a bit better now than when the pic was taken, that was just after the summer in 2006 and the 2 servers at the bottom were old ones due to be decommisioned once their replacements were fully tested.

I like it, it's one of the better server rooms I've come across, although the air conditioning is on its limit now keeps the room cool, but not cold any more. Just behind it you can see our main comms cabinet (that was a bit of a mess at the time) and in the back corner, some of the old servers we had just replaced!

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maniac; 25th May 2008 at 01:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Pity the door handles are upside down :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Pity the door handles are upside down :P
    The actual door on the rack to the right is upside down!!!!...

The second pic explains why they've done that but i'm just not sure they needed to. I suppose it doesn't really matter so long as both doors close.

Very nice racks though we've got the newer 10000 G2's which provide more airflow to the equipment and the side panels come in 3 instead of one piece. Also, last time i checked you can't put the doors on upside down on the G2's.. :P

Looks as if they've also got the hp pdu mounted in the side of the rack and is that a hp tft drawer on the right ?.....now that is flash. And v. expensive.

If it's just a hp pull-out keyboard it's not that expensive. i agree with maniac...it's a nice little setup would look even nicer with poweredges or Sun x 4100's instead of those pug ugly proliant DL380's.
    Last edited by torledo; 25th May 2008 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Avoid Prism racks - they are complete and utter sh*t.
    I feel better for getting that off my chest...
    Agreed, we have two. One is in a classroom with Cisco switches and routers in for the CCNA course I used to teach. The lock disappeared of it one day!!!

Carrying on the theme of showing racks (can't beat a nice rack ) here's the one for our new school in progress!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Racks

I got my 2 dells 999mm deep for about £800. I got one with no side pannels as they were going side by side so I moved one of the sides and bolted then together with some big bolts.. Etb-tech is great for kitting out your racks with those extra that any IT shop should have.

Thank Post
    We've just got a HP rack and I gotta say it makes things so much easier! As far as Prisim racks being rubbish, We've got quite a few of various sizes and not had any trouble with them (although they only have switches/patch panels in them!)

The HP only currently houses our new blade chassis and a ups. I really want to change our other rack to a HP though

Just a slight spin-off, how many of you have fire surpression in your server rooms? We've got air-con (was that a battle!!) and hopefully sometime they may finally put the new flooring down in there. I'm just curious as to if people see the need for fire stuff?

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaccyNet View Post
    We've just got a HP rack and I gotta say it makes things so much easier! As far as Prisim racks being rubbish, We've got quite a few of various sizes and not had any trouble with them (although they only have switches/patch panels in them!)

The HP only currently houses our new blade chassis and a ups. I really want to change our other rack to a HP though

Just a slight spin-off, how many of you have fire surpression in your server rooms? We've got air-con (was that a battle!!) and hopefully sometime they may finally put the new flooring down in there. I'm just curious as to if people see the need for fire stuff?

Steve
    have not looked into it tbh, just assumed it would be too expensive to do.

what is the standard method of doing fire surpression for server rooms these days....i know halon has been banned for a number of years...has it been replace by a different gas based supressant.

(i have no idea if surpressant is even a word)..

btw i can't speak higher of the hp racks...the 36U 10000 G2 i think is the best value rack money can buy - we've got two of them with the baying kit to tie them together. and you don't even need to tilt it to get it through the door...slights into position with no fuss.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12