+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Orange and Red Lights... OF DOOM! in Technical; After walking in this morning I get told that facility is down. After going into the server room and flicking ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Orange and Red Lights... OF DOOM!

After walking in this morning I get told that facility is down. After going into the server room and flicking through the servers one demands a reason for an unexplained shutdown... I tell it I haven't a clue and move on.

"Hmmm, the facility server isn't here," I thought. I looked at the KVM and noticed a light out. After pressing the on button the server boots up.

Meh??

Also the UPS's are claiming that they are "regulating high AC power" and one of them wants a new battery.

What causes the high AC power?

I am assuming the electric went off last night then... but only for the server room because my machine was on this morning...

Oh I don't know... all I know is after it came on it was fine... thank goodness! (because I'm on my own today!!)

Thank Post
    Power spikes..? Last place I worked had a UPS that was forever flicking between spike and dip..utter naff power.

I'd keep an eye if that's not normal...it sounds like there's something going on with the mains. Is the facility server rigged to the UPS demanding a battery? That might explain that..

One of our bank is doing the same..it's being duly ignored..there are plenty to do it. They're all being replaced with MGE soon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah i think that the facility server is on the dodgy ups, but then so are 2 more servers and they were fine. I'm so confussed!!

Everything seems to be ok now... so I'll just check the lights throughout the day.

Stupid school!! only 8 working days! (I'm not working half term) :P

Thank Post
    Not all Power units are equal...we have blips that'll reboot 20 out of 35 Optiplex GX60s, yet my Sempron and the remaining kit don't even flinch..heh..

It might just have had a slightly less robust PSU..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    maybe... but they are all the same servers... suppose age might come into the equation and the facility server is the NEWER of the bunch!! Stupid hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some UPSs drop out when they experience sustained over voltage. One site that I do work at has this problem sometimes as a new development is going in so they have pushed up the power transmission to cope with the load.

The problem arises at night when most of the stuff in the new development is switched off and the voltage rises due to the rubbish equipment they use to regulate it. Had it hit 260 volts at one point. The UPS is not spec'ed for that kind of eventuality over a sustained period of time. It cannot regulate the power down to a proper level so it runs the server off battery till it dies.

Just my own little FFS rant here about how I found this out:
    The 'best' bit of this story is that we informed the power company who duly sent someone out to put a voltage logger in. A week later they came back and said that there was indeed a problem but as it didn't effect most appliances that they were not going to do anything about it. At that point I wanted to take it further but the school wussed out as usual and so every so often we need to reboot the main server in the morning because of this fault. A better grade of UPS might be able to fix it but that school does not want to spend any cash so I leave them to restart when it happens and quietly wait for the day that it refuses to start.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread