+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Server - Max. Internal Temperature?? in Technical; Those temps are absolutely fine Pyroman. They will go slightly up as the weather gets increasingly hotter....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Those temps are absolutely fine Pyroman. They will go slightly up as the weather gets increasingly hotter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't find the exact chip on the intel site but it looks like it is about 65 degrees.

Intel® Xeon® Processor X5355 - SL9YM
    Thermal Specification: 65°C

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Those temps are absolutely fine Pyroman. They will go slightly up as the weather gets increasingly hotter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Couldn't find the exact chip on the intel site but it looks like it is about 65 degrees.

Intel® Xeon® Processor X5355 - SL9YM
    Cheers guys, just me panicking over nothing then =D

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Not an issue soon - they're all being ripped out and virtualised..we may have 2 boxes after that, or just 1. Bring on the summer hols - I want to see that go in. The place will echo, and we may as well shut one aircon down..
    I'd hate to be in your position if that single box suffered a hardware failure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Sirbendy: "eggs in one basket" springs to mind if you go down the route of one box to rule them all what would you have in place for DRP.

Thank Post
    I do believe the word is "bothered"..;-) We're still LEA - it's (in theory) a single box, but it's clustered and failovered with all the other secondaries, the civic office server farm and the Hadley Learning Community.

It's an LEA wide jobbie..SAN, Virtualisation etc..by all accounts if it dies, we just failover to one of many available WAN fibre servers and carry on with what is (promised) 15 seconds max downtime.

All secondaries here have servers in, some are nodal housing heavyweight kit (like us, in our case we run Zone 9, several primaries, public buildings and other local schools). All connected on Telewest fibre. The whole of Telford is literally a huge interconnected lump. Which is why all schools/public buildings have Cisco IP phones etc - calling anywhere in Telford is free, pretty much.

It's just that it's all been in place like this for 8 years now..we've had "Network 2" which bumped us from 10/100 to gigabit and fibre (and XP) "Network 2.5" which was the SAN introduction, server03 and other bits, and now it looks like "Network 3" (to the tune of Ł3.2m) refresh is coming in.

Virtualisation on a big scale. Bear in mind we have hundreds of servers on this WAN, and something like 30,000 users at last count..or was that 30,000 workstations.. and it makes sense..some of them are at retirement age or slightly beyond that.

It makes sense..and at least from my point of view, I'm going to be fascinated watching that go in. Box Failure is not a primary worry of ours.

Then, in 12 months or so we move away to a new building, our own in house ESX servers and infrastructure etc..that'll be fun as well..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's not so bad then

Thank Post
    indeed not.. I've got a chap here from TTS (parent academy), just chewing the fat about the new build vs current infrastructure pro/con list..it's good fun..

We've got a quadcore Poweredge 840 on order as well...when that arrives, we're going to ESX it and see what we can push it to. All in practise, of course. We already use VMWare server to virtualise 9 or so machines, and I'm going to use P2V to shift another over today, in theory.

I have to admit, I find the whole Virtualisation thing utterly fascinating..hardware is getting a bit dull of late, and now the baton of innovation seems to have gone to software..quite scary really.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12