+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Need a new switch in Technical; Can someone recommend me a cheap 48-port 1Gig unmanaged switch? Doesn't need anything fancy Thanks!...
    Thank Post

Need a new switch

Can someone recommend me a cheap 48-port 1Gig unmanaged switch?

Doesn't need anything fancy

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    D-Link DGS-1248T is what we have just put in one of my schools, they are not fully managed and have just enough smarts built in not to be troublesome ie broadcast storm control, and vlans. It has four SFP slots so that you can add fibre transceivers and a 96GB switching capacity. It worked out to be the best option for us to allow for future expansion easily and also keep the cost down.

We get them quite cheaply under education discount in NZ (500ish pounds at current exchange rate), no idea what they are like price wise in the UK.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 10th May 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    Can someone recommend me a cheap 48-port 1Gig unmanaged switch?
    We have a Dell 2724, which has been fine, although it does have a rather noisy fan - I imagine the 48-port 2748 (around £500) is the same but bigger. Our HP Procurve 1800-24Gs (around £300 each) are nice and quiet, being fanless - you could maybe stick two of those together.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    There is this - ProSafe 48-Port Gigabit Smart Switch GS748T and this - Layer 2 Managed Switches GSM7224 & GSM7248 I have used both on jobs and both are good, both have a management though but for a 48 port switch at that level Netgear want to give you management, one is L2 and one is there Smart Switch so its nothing too OTT but simple nice features.

Thank Post
    I couldn't recommend unmanaged anymore even if it meant not getting a switch at all (well, not that bad, but close)!

At the very LEAST, smart switches should be what you should at least be going for, as chances are you may have that switch for years to come (you didn't mention temporary, so I assume it's long-term, or longish). I have never actually seen an unmanaged 48 port switch (even our really old 48 port Planet switches - yes, PLANET!, are smart managed, but not the 24 port variants).

HP switches are great, but their line mainly consists of fully managed switches, and to recommend a HP would be an echo of dhicks suggestion, which was 2 of the 1800-24. Otherwise, the Netgear GS748T isn't a bad choice in the smart, budget market of switches (we recently purchased one of these before we decided to go all HP in future), and although very noisy, does what we expect of it very well.

Generally speaking, a 48port switch is usually more expensive than 2x 24 port switches (though I have seen exceptions for this with HP), and factoring this in, plus the fact that you obviously will want the best quality first, I would have to suggest 2 of the HP 1800-24G as a first choice (which are actually £200 each exc VAT). The Netgear alternative is around £320 exc VAT, so cheaper than the 2 24 ports (but with HP you pay the bit extra). If budget really is tight, then certainly the netgear or the dlink mentioned above should be strongly considered.
    Last edited by dgsmith; 10th May 2008 at 09:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Check out D-Link's products. You will find what you need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    There is this - ProSafe 48-Port Gigabit Smart Switch GS748T and this - Layer 2 Managed Switches GSM7224 & GSM7248 I have used both on jobs and both are good, both have a management though but for a 48 port switch at that level Netgear want to give you management, one is L2 and one is there Smart Switch so its nothing too OTT but simple nice features.
    We have the GS748T's. They are great! Very reliable and easy to set up / manage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
    We have the GS748T's. They are great! Very reliable and easy to set up / manage.
    Yup they are, I even have one here screwed under my desk, it was that cheap I got one for myself, not that I need 48 ports at home at present, but saved buying more 8 ports

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread