+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Performance: Dell PV-124T in Technical; Hi All - Anyone got any experience with the Dell PowerVault 124T LTO3? Just got around to implementing ours, and ...
    Thank Post

Performance: Dell PV-124T

Hi All - Anyone got any experience with the Dell PowerVault 124T LTO3?

Just got around to implementing ours, and it's only moving data at 5MB/Min!!

I'm guessing I've naffed up the SCSI setup somehow - unfortunately SCSI isn't one of my strong points!

Anyone offer any advice? Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Hi All - Anyone got any experience with the Dell PowerVault 124T LTO3?

Just got around to implementing ours, and it's only moving data at 5MB/Min!!

I'm guessing I've naffed up the SCSI setup somehow - unfortunately SCSI isn't one of my strong points!

Anyone offer any advice? Thanks
    We got one of these and its working fine. Is it connected to a dedicated scsi card because this improves the performance greatly. So ideally you should have the scsi/sas raid card and then another scsi card purely for connecting to the PV.

Are you using backupexec to duplicate the backup onto tape? if so make sure you apply all the hotfixes to the backupexec application as there were some issues that they had with this. Also there is a recommendation of using unknown medium changer under the device manager. Make sure you don't install the dell driver but to leave it as the unknown medium changer. This was the case with Backupexec 11d and it may be an idea to install the backup exec drivers.

Let me know how you are getting on.

What kind of setup on the disk have you got on the backup server i.e. raid 5, 1, 0 etc? Usually the limiting factor will be the source i.e. the server.

HTH,

Ash.

3. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

Diello (9th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for that Ash.

It's got a dedicated Adaptec card for it's own use. Yes, we're using BE11d - I've just run LiveUpdate (why didn't I think of that?!) and brought it up-to-date. The autoloader drivers could be an issue, as we are using Dell's (though not using the autoloader feature... yet...), will try to rid myself of their drivers in a moment. I've also put the latest Adaptec drivers on, and checked the LUN setting, which is right (I think!).

Drivers are RAID-0 as the server in question is just for D2D2T usage, though drives are fastest we could get 15k I think.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Hello,

I had the exact same issue for many weeks. This is what I did

1) Install an adaptec 39160 card and just have the Autoloader connected to this
    2) Use the symantec drivers for it
    3) Enabled Multi-LUN Support in the SCSI Card BIOS
    4) Update firware

I have an external Sonnet eSATA HDD with 5 SATA HDDs on Windows Software RAID 5 and that backups at just under 5GB/minute which is the data rate that the drive is supposed to work at.

Check out Scurvy Jake’s Pirate Blog » Blog Archive » Dell PV124T Speed - this helped me fixed the issue.

6. Thanks to robknowles from:

Diello (9th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Also meant to add when I originally ordered the dell server that the autoloader was connected to it had a Adaptec 39320A Card (I think that was the model number) which had built in RAID. Although this only had the autoloader connected to it use to exhibit the same speed issues. When I added a new card in it worked fine. The original card isn't faulty as I also have an Sony AIT-3EX Connected to it and that also works a full speed.

I think I remember reading somewhere after this issue that the Autoloader didn't support being connected to a RAID SCSI Card.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanks both - now getting just under 2000MB/min - Much better

I give you the power of EduGeek!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robknowles View Post
    Also meant to add when I originally ordered the dell server that the autoloader was connected to it had a Adaptec 39320A Card (I think that was the model number) which had built in RAID. Although this only had the autoloader connected to it use to exhibit the same speed issues. When I added a new card in it worked fine. The original card isn't faulty as I also have an Sony AIT-3EX Connected to it and that also works a full speed.

I think I remember reading somewhere after this issue that the Autoloader didn't support being connected to a RAID SCSI Card.

Rob
    @Diello

Glad you got it working.

@Rob,

That's interesting as we have the 39320A card and did start off badly with lower speed but with the unknown media changer and updated drivers for BE11d as well as the hotfixes it went up but i feel that its still not running as well. We are happy with it as everything is finished within the backup window but if there are ways to improve perf. then that would be good. Can i ask what kinds of problem you has with PV connected to the 39320A card?

TIA,

Ash.

Thank Post
    Hello,

Once I changed to unknown medium changer, used Symantec Drivers I probably use to get about 1.5GB/Minute speed but sometimes the speed use the vary dramatically starting off very fast and then slowing down to 4/5 MB/minute. Changing to the 39160 Card improved the speed no end (about 5GB/Minute about wire speed of the device) and has made it very stable. I use to have issues with jobs not working mainly because the Backup Exec Job Engine stopped but since adding in this additional card I've had issue free backup for weeks!

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robknowles View Post
    Hello,

Once I changed to unknown medium changer, used Symantec Drivers I probably use to get about 1.5GB/Minute speed but sometimes the speed use the vary dramatically starting off very fast and then slowing down to 4/5 MB/minute. Changing to the 39160 Card improved the speed no end (about 5GB/Minute about wire speed of the device) and has made it very stable. I use to have issues with jobs not working mainly because the Backup Exec Job Engine stopped but since adding in this additional card I've had issue free backup for weeks!

Rob
    you can use the 39320 with tape devices, but the hostRAID function should be disabled on the controller.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    you can use the 39320 with tape devices, but the hostRAID function should be disabled on the controller.
    Is this setting found in the BIOS for the card?

I'll get the guys to check this tommorow.

Thanks!

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Is this setting found in the BIOS for the card?

I'll get the guys to check this tommorow.

Thanks!

Ash.
    HostRAID should be disabled by default, but to check;

boot into the controller card bios, ctrl+A, and in the SCSI Select utility choose the appropriate channel on which you want to check the status of hostRAID choose 'Configure/View SCSI Controller
    Settings' and there is a setting near the bottom of the list for
    HostRAID. The default setting on the controller is disabled, but if
    it's on, you can change it to disabled and it should perform as a U320 SCSI controller instead of a RAID controller.

If hostRAID is already disabled one of the things you might want to do is see if you can somehow pare the speed settings of the scsi controller channel(s) down to U160 or below....most tape devices are U160, they can operate on a U320 bus but they don't shift data at U320 speeds. The way to do this is in the SCSI bios....boot into SCSI-Select and look for the sync. transfer rate MB/s option,,the speed options available to you are 320 160 80 etc. try 160 or 80 and see how you get on.

Other than that you've done all the right things...tape device on a dedicated channel, using the backup exec drivers rather than manufacturer drivers, and latest version of the backup software and hotfixes..
    Last edited by torledo; 11th May 2008 at 09:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi again

Thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread - as this may (or may not!) be related!

I have one Duplicate job that keeps falling over with:

DuplicateStorage device "IBM 1" reported an error on a request to write a media location identifier (file mark).

Error reported:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.
    This isn't a problem with the tape (as I've used various tapes!) - it seems to occur when the end of one tape is reached, and the autoloader switches to the next. Presuming it changes the tapes before a file mark is written on the old one?

Followed all the various refs on the Symantec knowledge base, upgraded the Backup Exec drivers, all to no avail.

Have you come across this before?

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Hi again

Thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread - as this may (or may not!) be related!

I have one Duplicate job that keeps falling over with:

This isn't a problem with the tape (as I've used various tapes!) - it seems to occur when the end of one tape is reached, and the autoloader switches to the next. Presuming it changes the tapes before a file mark is written on the old one?

Followed all the various refs on the Symantec knowledge base, upgraded the Backup Exec drivers, all to no avail.

Have you come across this before?

Many thanks.
    Does the heads need cleaning? worth a try and also look at updating the firmware on the drive as well as the PV.

Ash.

16. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

Diello (27th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks - all working like clockwork now.

Never assume just because the latest Symantec drivers are installed, that your drive is actually using them!

Now... if I can work out how to make it run quicker than 18 hours! LOL

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread