+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, What A3 Colour printer in Technical; Hi, What type of Printers do you use within your Art deparments? Currently we are using HP5550 lasers and HP ...

Thank Post

What A3 Colour printer

Hi, What type of Printers do you use within your Art deparments? Currently we are using HP5550 lasers and HP b9180 inkjets. The lasers work well but don't give the quality the photgraphers require. The b9180's produce excellent photo quality prints but aren't very reliable and dont seem to handle the load the pupils have been putting on them recently (over 1000 A3 pages in last two weeks). Any suggestions on a printer that would give me the best of both worlds, or does that not exsist ?

Thanks

James

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farwell View Post
    Hi, What type of Printers do you use within your Art deparments?
    I'm aiming to lease a large Canon iR laser photocopier/printer for the volume stuff - that's what we have in our main ICT room at the moment, and it's done very well although it's looking rather on its last legs at the moment. I'm buying an HP K8600dn, and a CIS kit from Octoink (see member contink on this forum). I'm guessing you're going to need several printers going at a time to handle 100 A3 prints a day... Hmm - load balancer for printers? Could you set up a dedicated PC, plug the printers in to it, then set up a single redirected generic Postscript printer that, when printed too, examines the available printers to determine which one to send the print job to?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Hmm - load balancer for printers? Could you set up a dedicated PC, plug the printers in to it, then set up a single redirected generic Postscript printer that, when printed too, examines the available printers to determine which one to send the print job to?

--
    David Hicks
    As long as the printers are identical you can use the built in windows printer pooling feature. You just set up the printer normally and then add the ports that the extra printers are connected to in the ports tab of the printer properties. Just check the "enable printer pooling" checkbox at the bottom of that tab and then you can select as many outbound ports as you need in the list above.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (9th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    As long as the printers are identical you can use the built in windows printer pooling feature.
    Great - just what I was thinking of! I didn't know Windows had that feature built-in, but it sounds like just the ticket.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We have a Ricoh A3 colour laser.... works VERY well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farwell View Post
    Hi, What type of Printers do you use within your Art deparments? Currently we are using HP5550 lasers and HP b9180 inkjets. The lasers work well but don't give the quality the photgraphers require. The b9180's produce excellent photo quality prints but aren't very reliable and dont seem to handle the load the pupils have been putting on them recently (over 1000 A3 pages in last two weeks).
    I was about to launch into why the K8600 was a nice printer when I realise that B9180 is the photo printer version of the K8600 (well sort of) so there's no sense in recommending that or my kits (darn it!) . I'd be interested in any intel and feedback on how the B9180 works and what sort of reliability issues you hit if you could PM them through (I might have some suggestions that could help)

If you're not worried about consumables then the Canon Pixma Pro units can be good quality but they cost a bomb to run and their reputation seems to wander somewhat between models. I dread to think how much you'd be looking at for 1000 photo quality A3 pictures so probably not quite what you're after.

Beyond that the Epson 1400's are reputedly pretty good, use a dyebase ink, so colour values are generally a little better, but I've never actually used one so I can't comment directly. CIS kits for it are available too if you want to try them. I don't sell them (yet!) but look for "Lyson" if you opt to give one a whirl (not chinese ebay kits!!)

The Epson 2400's and 1800's (now 1900's) are also quite good but use pigment ink which will dry up over the summer if not used at all.

If you opt for an epson, go for a slightly older one (ie: don't get the 1900!) that way you can get hold of the waste ink counter reset tool. I'd then highly recommend you fit an external waste ink kit to avoid your waste ink pads getting soiled and thus making the printer run for a whole lot longer without requiring a service. (I have two C84's that are still going after 4 years).

Re: Pooling If you're seriously thinking of pooling something like this and don't want to hammer one printer over the other take a peek at INTELLIscribe for round robin printing and other features. It would allow both printers to share the load properly and allows for better fail-over handling.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread