+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Softxpand Miniframe in Technical; Originally Posted by multipoint SoftXpand licensing: Miniframe recently announced that they have appointed Londonweb as their exclusive UK distributor meaning ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by multipoint View Post
    SoftXpand licensing:

Miniframe recently announced that they have appointed Londonweb as their exclusive UK distributor meaning Miniframe UK / Kira Supplies / Roger is now a VAR. Londonweb suggest that SoftXpand now follows the typical MS license path as per NComputing. Therefore: If you have an XP PC, you need to acquire an MPS 2010 OS license, and an MPS 2010 CAL per user. If joining the PC to the domain you need a TS CAL per user too. These licenses then go straight into the filing cabinet. Weirdly the EULA states that using a desktop O/S is against their PUR. Under the agreement with MS NComputing / Miniframe / FiddleHead / LG can’t “promote” the use of XP as the host OS.

If you run SoftXpand on the 32 bit Server 2003/8 then multiple users can access a licensed instance of Windows Server if every accessing user or device has a Windows Server CAL and Remote Desktop Services CAL. XP is not needed but you'll sacrifice some desktop applications that won't run on the server O/S.
    But soft x pand does not use a server OS, it uses a desktop OS.. Windows XP. I think that just having the licenses in the cupboard is not really a suitable route forward as you are still bending/breaking/exposing a loophole whatever you want to call it on the desk top OS. This problem is exacerbated when you start to look forward to future proofing your network as much as you can. It's a bit like trying to say you own an electric car because your car has a battery under the hood!

As for a Win7 version of soft x pand, i would take it with a pinch of sodium if anyone has been promised a date. I heard that it was meant to be out in Jan/Feb/Mar and then who knows! Even if it is ever released, it is exposed by the fact that it uses a desktop OS and who out there in the public sector is going to put their chopper on the block and take a risk when there is LEGAL technology out there from NC and MS, when the ultimate penalty could be their job and reputation and a disgraced School / LEA... The press loves jumping all over the public sector when they screw up using our hard earned tax dollars ;-)

I do agree that MS have got a good system there, a few tweeks are needed but they have got their heads screwed on and the ability to make it very big very quick.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Even better - a link from that Slashdot article seems to reckon this motherboard could handle three of those cards:

Image Gallery - The Tech Report

That would let you run 36 terminals from one machine - easily enough to do a classroom and front-of-class display for the teacher. You can get 30-odd thin clients on a single machine, so there's no reason why you couldn't get 30-odd Multiseat users. I'm guessing you're right about the cooling, though - a decent-sized server with 3 of those cards in would need to be in an air-conditioned space of some sort. Just how feasible is running stacks of KVM connections around a building? Could you use basic cat5 for a reasonable-cost solution?

--
    David Hicks
    That thing is going to sound like a plane taking off!

Thank Post
    Microsoft offers different combination's of solutions through different partner channels. For customers that would like to be able to add more than 10 users, they may purchase the Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 Academic solution, since it doesn’t have this restriction. However in the real world, a 10:1 ratio is what I'd recommend after testing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by multipoint View Post
    Microsoft offers different combination's of solutions through different partner channels. For customers that would like to be able to add more than 10 users, they may purchase the Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 Academic solution, since it doesn’t have this restriction. However in the real world, a 10:1 ratio is what I'd recommend after testing.
    Agreed!

I have ran solutions with SoftXpand, MS MP and NComputing and the 30 odd clients connected to one device whilst I have never used it you start to get into VMWare territory and I would be asking questions of the performance over and above the normal office task's.

Thank Post
    NComputing vSpace can be used very effectively to build a Hybrid VDi for far less than the rate of VMWare. We've got experience of a 200 seat build, but as you say SX, MPS 2010, LG and NC are all Multiseat solutions rather than desktop virtualisation, so they're meant for the PC rather than the server. Although I know I will be corrected on this!

Thank Post

SoftXpand MiniFrame

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I have looked at this thread as I have been too busy selling Multiseat computing all over the country. I do need to correct an error I have just noticed.

Kira Supplies has always been a VAR selling SoftXpand and other IT products.
    MiniFrameUK is the UK distributor of SoftXpand software and works through VARs from Scotland down to Kent and Cornwall. MiniFrameUK only supplies the products developed by MiniFrame in Israel.
    Some confusion is caused because Kira Supplies has put together a hardware package that works particularly well with SoftXpand and this is called Ecoware. Ecoware is also available nationwide through the same VARs that have signed up with MiniFrameUK.

Following a number of pilot installs, SoftXpand has now been included as an approved technology for some of the BSF projects that have not been cancelled.

If anyone wants up to date information on MiniFrameUK or Kira Supplies please talk to us rather than listen to false rumours.

Thank Post
    Rumors? Hmmm. Well as you know I'm always happy to debunk the copius ammounts of cr*p that appears in this thread.

Now I thought the following was true:

SoftXpand in the UK has a bad reputation in some areas for poor support and cowboyish actvity (Ref: Manchester LEA), mostly because of it's UK distribution and support arm that was based in the 'Derbyshire' very,very,very close to 'Kira Supplies' (Ref: Companies House)

The Isreali's pulled the UK distribution rights from this 'Derbyshire based entity' likely due to issues arrising and the aformentioned bad reputlation and now LondonWeb are the exclusive UK Distributor of the software. (REF: press release Technology News Today | London Web Expands Green IT with SoftXpand Desktop Virtualisation Solution)

Interestingly LondonWeb have contracted VeryPC to supply the SoftXpand host units, citing 'build quality' and 'inconsistant configurations' as big problems in SoftXpand's UK history. (Ref: Press Release MiniFrame and VeryPC Join Forces to Offer the Greenest IT Solution - desktop virtualization, green it, multi-user software)
    VeryPC have also been appointed to produce host units for Ncomputing, LG Network monitor and have the largest Microsoft Multipoint Server host unit deployments in the UK.

It is my hope that this new, stronger and more reputable distributor, combined with the technical host unit nounce of my team at VeryPC will overcome the bad reputation caused by the previous 'Derbyshire based Entity'
    Last edited by PeteHopton; 2nd December 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Thank Post
    It is true that reputations are developed by a trust in individuals. We used to have an employee who would happily tell customers what he thought they wanted to hear instead of the truth. The result was sometimes a disappointment with the goods received. Happily he is no longer with us and now works for you Peter and I notice from various blogs that he has not changed. A recent press release from VeryPC listed a number of customers that had supposedly bought from Very. As these are customers of Kira Supplies, I called them to find out and was told they have never heard of VeryPC and certainly not bought from them. It is not my policy to criticise the opposition and I am very sorry that you Peter have decided to use this forum to spread accusations when you are not aware of the facts.

SoftXpand Ecoware has been used in a number of schools for over 3 years and I have happily extended the warranty from the original 3 years to 5 years as the failure rate is around 1%. One school that had nearly 400 seats of SoftXpand kept 3 spare systems in a cupboard for emergency replacement. When they were still there 12 months later, they decided instead to roll out an additional 18 seats for students.

I can only repeat that MiniFrameUK is very much alive and has resellers who now cover the whole of the UK. MiniFrameUK only sells the products developed by MiniFrame in Israel, unlike LondonWeb who has also been appointed as a distributor for SoftXpand. We continue to do well because of our expertise and total honesty (with our current staff). I would much prefer to continue to sell excellent products and services due to the excellent reputation we have built up over the years (Including with Manchester LEA) rather than attacking the competition. I trust that those who read this forum will listen to our customers rather than competitors and ex employees.

As the one company within UK that has the most experience with SoftXpand I will be happy to respond to any questions from schools which I believe is what this forum should be about.

Thank Post
    Roger,

I don't apply blame for sustained activity to any employee of mine, as I would be the person responsible ultimately for managing their behaviour. This is truely bad form.
    "it's not my organisation's fault for not delivering service, it's my sales guy for overpromising" Please!

I don't rumor, but prefer fact and reference in my communications (as I always have on this forum), which is one of the reasons I'm a respected member of the industry who regularly represents the BCS (the chartered institute for IT) in presenting around Green IT and DataCenter Efficiency at various events (I've presented at NAACE, BETT, ICT for Education, Green IT Expo, HEEPI, JISC, SUSTAIN IT, FCO mission to Tokyo, MAS, Salix Fund Events, etc.)

I would suggest at this point the only way you can redeem yourself is to make the last comment you make on this forum to offer a full onsite service and support amnesty for all people who have purchased SoftXpand through your channel. A good place to start is in the Manchester LEA area who appear perticularly badly hit.

Said unreferenced press release (VeryPC and SoftXpand green IT solution delivers strong sales / green IT news) did include customers who had purchased a GreenHive solution (LG, Ncomputing, SoftXpand or MS) with a VeryPC host unit, you are partly correct in that the article misquoted Colin as these all being SoftXpand solutions.

Confusing people by passing your 'other company' off as a subsiduary of a company you no longer have the rights to buy from is not also just bad form, but will likely land yourself at the wrong end of a lawsuit before long, and your customer's warranty worthless as it's underwritten by a bankrupt firm.

Actions speak much louder than hearsay, so I would encourage anyone still in doubt to come and see VeryPC, Our Friends from Musu, LondonWeb and the guys from Miniframe Isreal, who write SoftXpand at the BETT show stand C90, which is split in 3. LondonWeb & Miniframe will be demonstrating various SoftXpand solutions correctly licensed running Windows Server 2003/2008, Multipoint Server 2010 (with Windows 7 Look and Feel), etc. - which is a good start for a new leaf for SoftXpand in the UK I think!

VeryPC's bit will be demonstrating its latest desktops, Servers, Storage and Virtualisation products. The Storage and Virualisation is perticularly interesting and was Launched with Microsoft on their Stand at the 'Green IT Expo 2010', some of the members of the forum might have even met us all at the MS/VPC afterparty.

Thank Post
    Hi Peter,

Your comments remind me of a certain Dragons' Den performance when you also tried to persuade us that wrong was right.

You state that "I don't rumor, but prefer fact and reference in my communications" so let's have some facts.

MiniFrameUK Ltd is not, and has never been, a subsidiary of any other company. It is a UK registered company, totally owned by UK shareholders and run entirely by UK Directors. It was established at the request of MiniFrame in Israel to distribute their products in UK and to reduce confusion with activities of Kira Supplies Ltd who sell products from a variety of Manufacturers. The name MiniFrameUK was chosen by the Israeli company, not us.

Rumours are very easy to sow and you state you do not rumour so let's have some facts from you. If you know of any customer in Manchester, school or business, that has bought or borrowed a SoftXpand Ecoware system is is unhappy with it, please let me know because I am unaware of any.

Your story about customers who have bought Greenhive does not agree with the story I was given by Colin, nor does it agree with the information I was given by the IT Managers at the organisations who told me they have never heard of VeryPC. Colin told me that he had merely given a list of customers who he knew had purchased SoftXpand even though he knew it was while he worked for Kira Supplies. If you wish to remain a "respected member of the industry" then you need to start to be more honest.

Thank Post

MiniFrame Ltd.

I am Emmanuel Boutboul, MiniFrame VP Marketing and Sales.
    I don't want to comment on the various allegations in this thread...

However, I want to clarify that LondonWeb is currently MiniFrame exclusive distributor in the UK.

We look forward to demonstrate SoftXpand for Windows 7/2008 R2 at the BETT 2011.

12. 2 Thanks to MiniFrame:

multipoint (8th December 2010), PeteHopton (3rd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi All,

This is my first post but I just wanted to say that as Miniframe's current exclusive UK Distributor, London Web are happy to answer any and all questions about Miniframe and SoftXpand in the UK. I am not sure this forum is the best place for discussions I have seen recently. However if anyone would like to get in contact with us you can find us at "LondonWeb.net". Of course a quick google for recent SoftXpand Press Releases will verify everything Peter Hopton at VeryPC and Emmanuel Boutboul at MiniFrame (Israel) have recently mentioned.

I would like to point out that the reasons that London Web partnered with VeryPC to supply the hardware behind the current SoftXpand Appliances was due to excellent build quality, support, True ECO and low power credentials as approved by the Carbon Trust. Last but not least there are approved channels to supply these units through Public Sector Framework agreements.

Lastly we believe of all the multi-seat solutions on the market at the moment. SoftXPand simply provides the best experience for high end graphics and video support to meet the current National Curriculum requirements. A fully working demo of the solution can be downloaded for you to try and see for yourself from our SoftXpand portal at SoftXpand.co.uk

Best Wishes

Jamie Easterman
    Last edited by JamieEasterman; 3rd December 2010 at 01:28 PM.

14. Thanks to JamieEasterman from:

PeteHopton (3rd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Jamie, Emmanuel, thanks for your comments, which were not requested but are appreciated, I feel vindicated from the lies of this bitter old soul. As we say in Yorkshire. Nuff Said......

(Jamie, you mean endorsed by the Energy Saving Trust as in "Energy Saving Recommended", the Carbon Trust and Salix Merely issue funding, they don't like being quoted as endorsing things!)

Thank Post
    Hi Peter,

When I said approved by the Carbon Trust...Of course, I meant as in they have hsitorically approved VeryPc units for funding of their low cost (zero%) loans on the basis that your solutions are proven to provide energy savings compared to standard PC's from other manufacturers. Of course when combined with Multi-Seat solutions such as SoftXpand the further cost and energy savings an organisation can make are huge.

Happy Monday ! ;-)

Best Wishes

Jamie

Thank Post
    I would like to invite you all to visit us at the BETT show on 12-15th January at London Olympia where we will be on stand C90. You will be able to see the new Windows 7/server 2008 R2 64 bit version of SoftXpand demonstrated for the first time.

For more information on the award winning Multi-User pc Desktop Virtualisation software "SoftXpand" please visit SoftXpand.co.uk

I look forward to seeing you in January.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best Wishes

Jamie

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information