+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Putting a VGA cable through a wall in Technical; For our new digital signage system we were considering putting a VGA cable through a wall, unfortunately out caretaker doesn't ...

Thank Post

Putting a VGA cable through a wall

For our new digital signage system we were considering putting a VGA cable through a wall, unfortunately out caretaker doesn't have any 50mm drill bits since he stopped working down the mines , so does anyone know if you can successfully wire a VGA connector in-house? Or is it possible to convert the VGA cable to a narrower one for the wall section? (as cheaply as poss)

ATM it looks like we'll have to take it through the celing, which isn't the end of the world but I would like to try and go through the wall.

Thank Post
    You can get VGA connectors and solder them on yourself. We do it here sometimes. The other thing you could do is just cut a long VGA cable in half, push the end through then join the wires back together - again we've done this here.

Thank Post
    Take a normal 25mm one and do it twice next to each other?

Or you could take a modular VGA wall plate and screw terminate that in situ but I've found them less than reliable ... maybe because we did them in house and we're .... less than reliable

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    We've also used cat5 for this, you could do this properly by buying some cat5 to vga baluns.

Or you could hire and sds drill and 50mm core bit from your local hire centre.

Ben

Thank Post
    Try and find an older style VGA cable witha metal case that unscrews then it will fit though a smaller hole. Short of that the drill bit doesnt need to be massive especially if you drill a few smaller ones side by side.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Sahara Presentation Systems > Terminal Connector

This is what you need - very cheap and easy to use as it is screw terminals rather than solder.

welcome to rextron

(Don't advertise without permission - Ben)

you try and help!!!
    Last edited by western; 29th April 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    CAT5e to VGA Extenders are the way forward really - UNBRANDED | EV214 | Accessories | Computer Products | CPC are the Rextron ones mentioned above, or were a few months ago when I ordered a few pairs.

Thank Post

Ever heard of Rapid Run?

The other cool option is to use quick disconnects at each end. This will make it easy to pull through a wall or canduit and then attech these pigtail cables on each end:

Audio and Video Products, HDMI, DVI, Component, S-Video, HDTV | ShowMeCables

Plus, if you are going to the trouble of pulling this one cable through the wall, might consider what other cables might need to be pulled while you are spending the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We got our electrician to hire the drill bit required and chopped a big hole in the wall. Now I have a hole I can run things through should I need to in the future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I just bought one myself for a job, I think it was about Ł30 from T'internet and seems fine and good, very handy it will be

Thank Post
    Apparently you can stick VGA down a Cat6 cable. Surely thats better than drilling a 50mm hole a the wall

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    For our new digital signage system we were considering putting a VGA cable through a wall, unfortunately out caretaker doesn't have any 50mm drill bits since he stopped working down the mines , so does anyone know if you can successfully wire a VGA connector in-house? Or is it possible to convert the VGA cable to a narrower one for the wall section? (as cheaply as poss)

ATM it looks like we'll have to take it through the celing, which isn't the end of the world but I would like to try and go through the wall.
    Technically you can wire the pins yourself but it's very difficult, from what i remember you need to wire up *only* 8 of the 15 pins but if you do give it a go extremely good eyesight or a magnifying glass is a must. Aswell as lots of practice.

There's also a special technique....you have to tin both the end of the cable going into each pin and apply a tiny bit of solder to the pin itself, then heat the solder on the pin and carefully slide the cable in. I'd also advise you use a stand or grip of some sort to hold the cable and connector in place. a pair of pliers with elastic bands rapped around the handle is a good way of making a makeshift grip to hold the cable great for when needing a mobile solution away from a workbench.

The reason for applying a bit of solder to the cable is to stop any kind of fraying....as there's very little margin for error when sliding the cable into the pin. You unly need a miniscule bit of solder at the end of the cable to stop the fraying...too much and the cable won't fit into the pin when you come to slide it in.

The easiest thing to do if you wanted to go through the wall, is to get a cat5 distribution system with cat5/vga baluns at either end of the run.

We have a geffen cat5/vga thing that was quite pricey....it only requires power at only one end. There are cheaper ones i'm sure....but imo the cheapest and easiest way to get the cable thru is to use a long length of prefab vga cable and go through the ceiling. No soldering, and no cost in buying baluns. You might even be able to do it without ordering anything if you've got a long enough vga lead.

Don't whatever you do, drill a 50mm hole in the wall.

Also DO NOT buy one of those vga connectors with the screw on teminals as western has suggested. In theory it's a good idea...in practice they're rubbish. The terminals take up so much length that you'd need probably to drill a hole in the back box to accomodate it. Or you'd probably not be able to use it at all 'cos there will be very little room for manouvere.

Think about it, you're paying 10 pounds for a vga connector!!!! blimey. When i bought one i paid a similar solution and just though of it as an awkward and expensive solution to the problem. Tried it out but wasn't usable.
    Last edited by torledo; 30th April 2008 at 07:34 AM.

Thank Post
    If you are handy with a soldering iron, it isn't too hard to re-terminate an HD15. I'd buy a pre-made and chop one end off as it halves the soldering you have to do.

Another option would be to put a box either side of your wall connected with a hole, and use screw terminated sockets on faceplates (CPC sell them)

If you do go for a 50mm hole, and the rooms are in separate fire compartments, the hole should be filled with a fire-stop foam/filler. You can tell if you are in separate compartments by looking ate the doors between. If they have self-closers, and strips around the meeting faces.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast