+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Hardware Thread, SAN's - Who Has Them in Technical; this is the SAN that we installed during the Easter holidays HDS: Storage Systems | Data Storage Solutions | Enterprise ...
    PEO
    Thank Post
    this is the SAN that we installed during the Easter holidays

HDS: Storage Systems | Data Storage Solutions | Enterprise storage

Thank Post
    Here we have a San Melody plugged into an Infotrend SATA array populated with Segate 500GB discs (purchased before my time @ ~30K). Failure rate on a new batch of discs has been high and we have just been quoted ~30K to make the system more robust (replication of the array and elimination of the melody server as a SPOF). At 7 per GB (double for replicated) IMO this is not good value for money for a school.

My response to the failing discs was to spend 1.5K on a Thecus i4500R populated with 1TB drives and simply robocopy network shares over to the device. I also bought another of these to share between VMware ESX hosts as a backup device for server images. At around 40p per GB, these are rather better value for money and the performance while not quite as fast as the SAN is certainly adequate for the task. Given that I could just about buy two per year for the same price as the support and licencing on the SAN, I'm not too worried about longevity.

Anyone else got any comments on Thecus devices?

Thank Post
    not sure if it counts as a SAN but we have an XSAN/XRAID - well an xserve and an xraid. has 2 fiber channel and 2 network for iscsi?

Thank Post
    Got a Equallogics SAN here. Work's a treat!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    not sure if it counts as a SAN but we have an XSAN/XRAID - well an xserve and an xraid. has 2 fiber channel and 2 network for iscsi?

Is it this? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...serve_RAID.jpg

If so then it's not a SAN. I have one here, they are only DAS (direct attached storage). The fibre cards are the only fibre over copper cables I've ever seen. Those 2 NICs will be for accessing the managment controller on each half as it doesn't do scsi. I see why Apple stopped making the XRAID and uses someone elses now.

If it's the promise one then it is a SAN (or DAS, depending on how you configure it I think)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Is it this? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...serve_RAID.jpg

If so then it's not a SAN. I have one here, they are only DAS (direct attached storage). The fibre cards are the only fibre over copper cables I've ever seen. Those 2 NICs will be for accessing the managment controller on each half as it doesn't do scsi. I see why Apple stopped making the XRAID and uses someone elses now.

If it's the promise one then it is a SAN (or DAS, depending on how you configure it I think)
    The xserve raids from 2004 onward had SFP fc ports, so could be used on SAN fabrics. sounds like you have the v1 model with those odd HSSDC2 ports. The SFP xraids still came with short-length copper cables, but you could get inexpensive SFP transeivers and use fibre cables.

apologies if you know all of this already.

Thank Post
    I did think about connecting it to the FC switch at one point, but as it's only DAS there's not much point, then I discovered the copper connectors when taking it all apart (I didn't put it in).

The transcievers do come out so it may well be possible to change them, I didn't realise it would take normal fibre ones. In the end I flashed the supplied apple card (it's a custom LSI) with normal bios (only EFI normally). It's in an old server now running Backup Exec, the xraid does well enough as a D2D store at least!

Thank Post
    I think ours is a post 2004 model. Can i connect the Xraid to a windows box?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information