+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, SAN's - Who Has Them in Technical; Sorry just spotted this thread, £40,000 for a SAN :| Thats ... like 6 years budget!! lol...
    Thank Post

Re: SAN's - Who Has Them

Sorry just spotted this thread,

£40,000 for a SAN :|

Thats ... like 6 years budget!! lol

Thank Post

We bought a NetApp iSCSI StoreVault at the end of last budget, cost about 5k with a year's support. Originally got it to use as shared storage for clustered Exchange then Microsoft went and invented CCR that doesn't need shared storage! Had so much on I haven't even had chance to power it up (only got installed in the new rack in the Summer!)

It's got 4 x SATA disks running RAID6 and iSCSI. We got an HP ProCurve Gigabit switch to run the storage network when we get round to setting it all up.

Still considering whether to go for storing Exchange data on the SAN or putting it on the server as RAID1 + spare (only 3 disk slots in the 2U server). Then there's the question... to cluster or not to cluster, CCR gives 2 copies of the data plus 2 servers running the service (but won't run our PureMessage spam filter ) or SCC with the SAN. Or just 1 server...

Might also use it for disk backups as want to do a D2D2T strategy rather than our straight to tape at the moment.

Am I right in thinking iSCSI just shows up as a drive on whatever server it's mapped to, so on a backup server you'd just send disk backups to say E:\diskbackup (if E: was the SAN drive letter)?

As for 40k on a storage device... alright for some!!!

Thank Post

Very interested in this thread, but £40K? no where near my budget.
    So anyone any solutions for a REAL cheap alternative?
    I have an ailing and full admin server, not enough tape backup and want to flatten the network. So going down the SANS route looks attractive but the budget is SMALL.
    backing up a SANS. What do people do? expensive tapes? another SANS? if a disk solution, then what about 'offsite backup?
    Alan

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries

Our system is a SAN for storage and a NAS box for backup with portable disks for offsite weekly backups.

Thank Post

The HP Proliant 320s with 12 SATA's in Raid6 can be upgraded to be iSCSI for less than a grand so thats a 3TB iSCSI SAN box for about 4 Grand each.

I like them.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by salan
    I have an ailing and full admin server, not enough tape backup and want to flatten the network. So going down the SANS route looks attractive but the budget is SMALL.
    backing up a SANS. What do people do? expensive tapes? another SANS? if a disk solution, then what about 'offsite backup?
    Alan
    you can do cheap with iSCSI. The storevault option mentioned is a good choice, realtively simple to administer and £6K for a 1TB+ of storage is good value.

Have a look at also as Equalogic, we've have had one or two suppliers try and sell us this but we had the money to go down the Fiber Channel route instead.

As for backing up an iSCSI SAN, iSCSI backup tape libraries are available but they're no where near as popular as traditional SCSI or FC libraries. They're also quite expensive and require special software agents on the backup server - typically a SAN media option.

If you've already got a SCSI backup solution you can still backup data on an iSCSI SAN, just so long as you're backup server is connected via iSCSI to the SAN.

Thank Post
    Anyone here got an EMC AX4 or CX4. We have just been quoted 30k and 50k for them following a vmware capacity plan and disk analysis.

Is it worth plumping for the CX4 at 50k?

Anyone know what the EMC kit is like?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fox1977 View Post
    Anyone here got an EMC AX4 or CX4. We have just been quoted 30k and 50k for them following a vmware capacity plan and disk analysis.

Is it worth plumping for the CX4 at 50k?

Anyone know what the EMC kit is like?
    DO you work in a school?

If so CX4's are an overkill. I have been doing some research and if you need the performance that CX4's are enterprise grade and will give you the all singing all dancing solution you are looking for.

Thank Post
    We have a 4.5Tb SAN (Dell MD3000i with Dual Controllers) - 15 x 300gb SAS disks

I also have another one exactly the same with 3.5TB of SATA disks for backups. Got both for 6k.

Was a cancelled order so got it for a good price

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lefthand networks SAN look good.

Thank Post
    Lefthand certainly do look very good.

At our school I am currently looking at replacing some of our aged physical servers and migrating them to VMware. We currently use VMware on 2 separate hypervisor hosts but its only for web and proxy services.

I want to migrate our windows active directory, DNS, DHCP, print, exchange services over to the virtualised hosts.

Has anyone used any of the Equallogic iScsi PS6000 range or HP MSA2324fc range? I have currently investigating these two options for the school.

The HP is a fibre channel SAN which is aimed at entry level but the costing I have had back for the Equallogic is far greater than the MSA buts its iSCSI.

I always heard that if you have the option go for fibre channel over iSCSI because 4gb server to SAN bandwidth over iscsi 1gb server to SAN traffic will give far greater performance benefits. Fibre channel I have heard tends to be more expensive but the MSA is cheaper and it provides all the extra redundancy that the equallogic provides.

Is there something that I'm missing with the MSA range, why is so cheaper for a fibre channel SAN?

Would anyone recommend either of these two in a VMware setup? I appreciate the Equallogic is fairly new but if anyone has any links to some useful videocasts, whitepapers. that would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Last edited by ranj; 23rd May 2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: rephrased

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post

At our school I am currently looking at replacing some of our aged physical servers and migrating them to VMware. We currently use VMware on 2 separate hypervisor hosts but its only for web and proxy services.

I want to migrate our windows active directory, DNS, DHCP, print, exchange services over to the virtualised hosts.

Has anyone used any of the Equallogic iScsi PS6000 range or HP MSA2324fc range? I have currently investigating these two options for the school.

The HP is a fibre channel SAN which is aimed at entry level but the costing I have had back for the Equallogic is far greater than the MSA buts its iSCSI.

I always heard that if you have the option go for fibre channel over iSCSI because 4gb server to SAN bandwidth over iscsi 1gb server to SAN traffic will give far greater performance benefits. Fibre channel I have heard tends to be more expensive but the MSA is cheaper and it provides all the extra redundancy that the equallogic provides.

Is there something that I'm missing with the MSA range, why is so cheaper for a fibre channel SAN?

Would anyone recommend either of these two in a VMware setup? I appreciate the Equallogic is fairly new but if anyone has any links to some useful videocasts, whitepapers. that would be really helpful.

Thanks
    My personal view is that HP's 'enterprise' fc arrays start with the EVA 4000 range. Similarly The equalogics are enterprise arrays and Dell have their own entry level products [including fc products] below the equalogic line. hence the difference in price between the equalogics and the MSA.

I think you'll be fine with an array capable of iscsi, with FC you have to be willing to invest in FC hba's and FC switches. Why don't you look at the MSA iscsi product or the Sun 7000, the sun does nfs aswell as iscsi.

btw, it appears storevault are no more, so in terms of affordable NAS/SAN capable devices the best options look like the Sun7000 or whatever deals you can get on netapp proper and EMC entry level kit.

As for lefthand, looks good, but it's a bit pricey isn't ?

Thank Post
    FC SAN here with a header box and two SAN arrays each with 3tb usable space. They are located disparately - one is in the server room, one is at the far side of the site and I use this for backup (gotta say, real fast backup & restores!). Brocade switch plus Fujitsu hardware - cost around 11K installed (less worries!). Twas easy to set up - dead easy actually. The hard bit was migrating the data from a few Server 2003 servers to SAN running Server 2008. Because of the differences in the way security is handled, even taking across the shares using the 'registry tweak' to restore permissions caused issues. SAN has been in operation for 5 months or so now, and not a single glitch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    Alan
    Hi there.

Couldn't help but notice your posting on here... Have a look at the Sun 7000 series. It might be what you're looking for...

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post

Thanks
    Hi there.

Hope I'm not being too forward on this but have a look at the S7000 series from Sun.

Cheers,

Phil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information