+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, SAN's - Who Has Them in Technical; Originally Posted by Grommit £40.000.00 for storage.. are you nuts ? there is no justification for those massive costs... insane.... ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: SAN's - Who Has Them

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    £40.000.00 for storage.. are you nuts ? there is no justification for those massive costs...

insane....

Ohhh.... it's for the ego...
    40k for that lot? That's not bad - ie 4 servers, 4TB storage, UPS's, racking, presumably installation, and a tape library. Our rack is probably worth roughly that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries

£40.000.00 for storage..
    no, look. those are .'s not ,'s.

so thats forty pounds!

very reasonable :P

Thank Post

£40.000.00 for storage.. are you nuts ? there is no justification for those massive costs...

insane....

Ohhh.... it's for the ego...
    I'm sorry, but £40000 is not even close to being an average SAN spend.
    The DS4200 is entry-level (and a very good entry level box) and the TS3100 is a rebranded ADIC (again a good entry level product)

But of course for schools it's a lot to justify for a Storage, but DMcCoy is absolutely spot on. The amounts that are spent, on buildings and infrastructure and other pet projects. And then for management to whinge about a few thousand pounds for something that is truly advanced and something to be proud of is truly pathetic. Large companies will thing nothing of spending £250000+ on their storage every year!!!!

Is it an ego thing ? maybe. But it's also best practice and good design. And as I've said theres' an even lower cost of entry with iscsi. Plus school systems have a verying degree of complexity and as such a £40000 spend can be justified.

Thank Post

Also, the £40000 he mentioned wasn't just SAN spend it included servers and UPS - so it's actually good value.

You get what you pay for with storage - notice the people who have used ibm and emc FC arrays aren't complaining. Those that haven't don't know what they're missing.

Thank Post

This or a SAN ?!?!

Thank Post

The £40,000 from IBM was very reasonable. Dell for an equivilant installation but only 2 servers was £56,376, So the IBM deal was a great savings. I can Think of at least 3 schools in this area which have clustered san arrangments and all of theirs cost a lot more than mine.

Is it about ego??? No, I purchased a server system which I believe will provide for the school for the next 5 years. It is expandable and upgradable and from what I have seen very robust. Now my system (so far) has had no downtime which has affected users, no more complaining about wanting more storage space. For me worth £40,000.

Thank Post

This or a SAN ?!?!

Well, you'd have a hell of an easier time justifying a SAN over the jag.

And while you're comparison is midly humorous, how about comparing the cost of a SAN to say a £40000 biometric electronic registration system that still isn't working months after it was installed. I know which I think is more useful and better value for money. Or the £40000 salary a year!!! + add on costs of an older teacher who keeps calling you to resolve the simplest of IT issues, who is ict illiterate and who has next to no ability to use ICT in teaching.

Now stop whingeing about the costs of SANs. You're just jealous. Admit it.

Thank Post

It was from http://av-digital.com/ (Avante Digital) that I got my san from.

Aalborg, Denmark (formerly West Midlands, UK)
    Thank Post

Two years ago we procured a SAN from Dell consisting of a Dell Poweredge chassis, a CX300 and a PowerVault 132T to run VMware VI3. We now have 7 blades - one running Server 2003 R2 as the VMware backup proxy, and 6 running ESX 3.0.2. We also have a Dell AX100 which servers home areas, shared areas, administrative installation points and a few other things.

Thank Post

we have an adaptec snap server 520 with 2tb and have purchased a SAN bloc for additonal storage. Can start out as a NAS box but can be setup with iScsi for SAN type setup and you can add storage as your school data grows and you can mix and match SATA and SAS drives. Brilliant investment, really good web interface and is very reliable.

Migrating data from windows servers has been an issue even though it has its own migration utility

Thank Post

*looks around quietly*

We've got one of them there Dell NX1950 dual head dealies... good tech support though

(Still no idea what advantage WUDSS has over R2, but then I don't care either file goes on, file stays there. Nothing more needs to be done)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium
    (Still no idea what advantage WUDSS has over R2, but then I don't care either file goes on, file stays there. Nothing more needs to be done)
    From what I can see WUDSS allows you to create iSCSI targets and R2 doesn't. On top of that there's all the usual customised mmc gubbins.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

You can get 3rd party iScsi target software such as:

http://www.rocketdivision.com/wind.html

As has been said that is the difference between storage server and normal.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

Thank Post

We installed an MSA1500cs (x2 MSA1000 controllers, x2 MSA30s) to support ESX V3; I think our costs (we already had the disks) were approx £12k.

The SAN is one of the best purchases I have ever made and is more than worth the initial purchase price.

The SAN's reliability is considerably higher than DAS in each server, this has reduced downtime (and work for my people!).
    Disk Utilization is far improved as 'slack' unused space is no longer locked on each server and can be used where it is needed elsewhere.
    Management is simple (the SAN management software is very, very similar to the RAID management software on HP servers).
    Backups are a dream; ESX can pause a live running server for less than a second, lock the files that make up the disks while writing on going disk changes to a snapshot file, the files making up the disks can then be copied off to storage elsewhere. Instant crash consistant backups for non critical servers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information