+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Projector Maintenance - How do YOU do it? in Technical; Bit of a key thing I found is wherever possible having the bulb set on low....
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bit of a key thing I found is wherever possible having the bulb set on low.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I just don't have the time to perform regular cleaning which is a bit annoying.

Therefore the teachers report whenever they get a warning message and its done then. Although quite a few teachers are cleaning them themselves which is nice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    Good lord.

Well thats interesting. i have never used a pair of stepladders ever. I just use chairs or tables or whatever is in the room at the time to sort the projector out.

Sounds to me like i need more money for all this hassle :P
    Your site legally must have a person responsible for health and safety.
    if you had an accident, the HSE would want to see a risk assessment, the risk assessment would say that you need to be 'competent' (this means trained) and have the necessary equipment that was in good order. If none of this is complete then the appointed H+S manager is *criminally* liable. The downside is that if you have the training, and equipment and still have an accident then it's all your fault and you don't get to sue anyone.

The working at heights regulations are extremely important - there are around 70 deaths and and 4000 major injuries in the UK every year attributed to this.

Thank Post
    Yea indeed.

It looks like im going to have to do some training sessions with all my staff and try to get them to understand why this causes problems etc.

Although id rather just have the schools fork out for the cleaning and maintenance contract then i dont have to go through all this stupid crap.

im suire 55 per projector is easier than training me to climb a ladder buy all the kit and do whatever other courses there are out there that are required to do the job.

Thank Post
    H&S training for working at heights, eh?

The techie and I usually just jump up on a couple of tables to sort out projectors!

Use Air Duster to clean them, fortunately I am tall enough to reach the projectors to do this without the need for my feet to leave the floor :P

Thank Post
    Heh if only, i had to work on a projector yesterday that looked like it hadnt been cleaned for years, it had a thick layer of dust on it, i blew it out and i swallowed a gob full of horrible old child skin, not nice at all :P

but i had to take out 4 security bolts on a projector cage that basically when loose just dropped to the floor, taking out 4 bolts and holding it at the same time was a peice of masterful dexterity on my part i think ;P

Thank Post
    Right, i went to see my line manager today to discuss the contract i had proposed and all the details i have found out from you guys and other sources.

Basically he told me to STFU.

Its the first time he has been around as he has been off for 6 months or so and now he is back he has said that everything i've found out is utterly stupid (his quote) and that i shouldnt be so stupid (again his quote)

It basically turned into an arguement and i wanted to walk out but i had to see someone else.

i feel really disillusioned now and really feel like my line mamager doesnt give a toss about me, i have brought things up in the past that i thought were in my schools best interests and he has done this before having a go at me shouting etc calling me stupid.

Think this might be a P45 month.

Thank Post
    There's no reason for you to have to put up with that kind of unprofessional attitude.

I'd seriously consider going over his head to his line manager and explain your proposal in detail, wait for them to ask what your direct line manager said and explain the exact terms he used.

Of course, the only downside to this is that you're really going to fubar your chances of getting a reference unless your senior management can provide one that doesn't involve your line manager.

Thank Post
    i have 7 primary school headmasters who wouldnt think twice about giving me a reference.

im just so f**ked off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    i have 7 primary school headmasters who wouldnt think twice about giving me a reference.

im just so f**ked off.
    As someone who never allows his emotions to get in the way of his work *cue: my fiancee falling over and laughing her socks off* ;-) I'd recommend sleeping on it and then re-approach the issue with a calmer, more professional head.

Having re-read the thread it seems you're part of a company or an LEA style support department in which case you could be looking at some other form of management. Either way, just be careful what you do and how you do it..

Best of luck...

11. Thanks to contink from:

Bluetooth (28th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Lol!

Sound advice there matey. Yes indeed i think its an early finish, see the misses, go to bed and have a good kip and then see how things are tommorow.

Dont know how ive survived in this job a year without this forum lol.

+1 thanks to you! (again)

Thank Post
    Yeah, sleep on it. But remember the school should have these policies in place already. Its not your fault if the school cant provide you with adequate facilities to do your job properly. If you request to see the policies they have, your line manager cant call you stupid. Just remember be professional at all times. Let us know what happens.

Thank Post
    Morning!

Yes sleeping on it has chilled me out a fair bit but im still pretty mad. I dunno what to do, i just cannot work with this line manager. Yesterday's little episode has made me feel totally unloved and like im making all this effort for nothing.

I get plenty of good feedback from the heads and i am providing 200 times what the last technician was providing but i still feel like im being fobbed off.

I really enjoy the job im doing and really enjoy working with the people i work with but i really feel downdrought and everything. Im not so mad today just more disappointed.

What would be a good course of action? Do as advised and try to seek another LM or just continue to work with him or just give it up as a bad job, get my p45 and find another job?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Re: projectors: in one school I have sanyos which go weird if I don't clean the filters every month - and yes, I climb on table to do it - no H & S here. I actually got told off for cleaning a filter in a class when the children were in - 'for their safety' WHAT ABOUT MINE!!
    In my other school we have NECs and the brackets prevent the filters being removed. I am NOT taking down the whole projector as I don't have the tools or training. SO I am waiting for one to go pop due to dust. 4 years on...still waiting!! (these NEC's are GOOD)

As for the job - are you employed by each school separately? If so I would look for another one and kick this one in ASAP (I wrote to all local schools after reading something on this forum - picked up a possible school yesterday) If not, then I would write a distillation of what you said to him to him and cc it to his boss - then you can't be accused of going over his head and the big boss will still know about it.
    The abuse is something else. I have to say I would complain about that
    Last edited by witch; 29th April 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Get a copy of the H&S regulations pertaining to working at heights etc, place them on your LMs desk then loudly ask him who the stupid one is now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast