+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Reconditioned/recycled PCs from large corporations in Technical; I've heard from various sources about some large corporations (City banks/trading firms, mostly) who re-condition their out-of-date desktop PCs and ...

Thank Post

Reconditioned/recycled PCs from large corporations

I've heard from various sources about some large corporations (City banks/trading firms, mostly) who re-condition their out-of-date desktop PCs and sell them on to schools. Does anyone know anything about this? I've been stuck with some god-awful jerry-built PCs from the last time we bought new equipment (a mate of one of the governors, it'll be cheaper, etc, etc), and we're having to consider some cheaper options to replace them sooner than planned. Anyone know anything? Had any experience of these schemes? Thanks in advance,

cp_cp

Thank Post
    There are plenty of companies that deal with this kind of stock and sell them on. One of our sponsors ICT Direct - computer hardware for ict in education - primary, secondary, special needs schools and colleges is one such company.

3. 3 Thanks to ChrisH:

clonepage_clearpage (24th April 2008), Pete10141748 (22nd April 2008), sharkster (22nd April 2008)

Thank Post
    We've had several classrooms worth of machines from ICT Direct and I can put my hand on my heart and say they're one of the best things to happen to us... Great way to stretch a small budget, better spec machines than we'd get new for twice the price and they've absolutely bent over backwards to help me in terms of ordering, matching up monitors for better looks and any spares needed...

Ben

Thank Post
    Northern Realisations Home Page

For those of you "Opp North" Northern Realisations in Bolton supply the same kind of service,really rubbish website but their service is pretty good. Useable spec small format PC with monitor keyboard mouse and XP Pro from 50 to 80 quid.

Pentium 4/3.00ghz, 512mb Ram, 40.00gb hard disc, CD-RW/DVD combo drive,

2 + USB ports, on board sound & 10/100, network adaptor

17" SVGA colour monitor
    Last edited by conehead; 22nd April 2008 at 02:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    There are plenty of companies that deal with this kind of stock and sell them on. One of our sponsors ICT Direct - computer hardware for ict in education - primary, secondary, special needs schools and colleges is one such company.
    That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks very much. I don't know what I'd do without Edugeek...

Thank Post
    I have had plenty of stuff from them and any problems are quickly sorted. I also work close enough to go check out the merchandise as well which is even better .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I have had plenty of stuff from them and any problems are quickly sorted. I also work close enough to go check out the merchandise as well which is even better .
    What are the cosmetic quality of the machines like - are they beat up, scratched icky looking things or never-know-its-been-used type quality?

Thank Post
    The condition on the whole is very good. They just have normal signs of wear. If they are any worse then you are told. Some stuff does look fairly new as it wont have been used for very long.

Thank Post
    Had some desktops from ICT-direct. Not seen continuous use but have made a couple of trips to London in the back of a car, and all 4 have survived perfectly well

Great value, and (in this case at least) truly outstanding service.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread