+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Samsung Q1 in Technical; Hi All, I was just wondering if any schools currently use the Samsung Q1? We are looking into the possibilities ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb Samsung Q1

Hi All,

I was just wondering if any schools currently use the Samsung Q1?

We are looking into the possibilities of using them and were wondering the general consensus on them.

What do you use them for?

Any bad points?

Thanks.:-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had an interview at a place that mends them the other week and they said they were comming in with faults in truck loads!

I'd wait a while untill they release a new one without all the faulty bits.

3. Thanks to Joanne from:

Dafty (21st April 2008)

Thank Post
    I got a free one to try. Personally I found it pretty uncomfortable to use. If you have the keyboard attached it's tricky to get the Q1 and keyboard in a comfy place. If you don't use the keyboard it's slow to enter text etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have always found them awkward and slow.

*awaits the arrival of 110 EePCs' tomorrow*

Thank Post

315 Samsung Laptops

We have 315 under computers for pupils and they are a pain, the pens, keyboards and cases are failing. I do not think they are upto student usage.

Thank Post

we have some

the main thing we use them for is the handwriting recognition- pasting into word etc, but as previously mentioned they are a bit 'clunky'
    the main faults i have found is the touch screen will not calibrate at the right hand side, and it is a return for it to be replaced.
    otherwise they are 'ok'
    dont try and do anything though that you cant do with a pentium 3- 500mhz, as that is roughly what i would say they are equivalent to.

other wise they are a good ' gadget' i.e better than a pda, but worse than a laptop.

Thank Post

9 months

after nine months, and 26 samsung q1's we have had to return 16 for hardware failure of some description.

mostly touch screen problems,
    some network,
    a couple of power related- eg not switching on, constant rebooting.

i still like them, they are much better than pda's, but getting sick of dealing with RTB warranty.

Thank Post
    We are getting some as part of our CfP scheme from the LA hopefully arriving next week. They don't sound to be very "school" friendly as part of the CfP agreement the school will be me managing them for support..... oh great!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have 2 Samsung Q1's at the moment in school..

We have them for the PE department so they can register there classes through SIMS without having to take there PC on to the field

There very nice machines.. but fairly expensive..

They are pretty slow.. but tbh they come with so much crap on them if we just put our normal staff build on it.. then it might be allot quicker.

Maybe if you do want it to be a speedy machine... re-image it and dont use the pre-installed OS.

James.

Thank Post
    @ Sylv3r - we are also getting some Q1s as part of the CfP Incentive with the LA here. In total we are getting 85 of them!

Have had one on site to test and share many of the opinions shown here its S-L-O-W and fiddly to use. You can't get the thing in a comfortable position to use the attached keyboard so that it pretty much dead weight! I can see the stylus for each device going missing or being used as a weapon by the students!

Just wished the LA had picked a better device or at least give schools an option of devices I also wished I was told the school was responsible for the support before the school placed the order!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    @ Sylv3r - we are also getting some Q1s as part of the CfP Incentive with the LA here. In total we are getting 85 of them!

Have had one on site to test and share many of the opinions shown here its S-L-O-W and fiddly to use. You can't get the thing in a comfortable position to use the attached keyboard so that it pretty much dead weight! I can see the stylus for each device going missing or being used as a weapon by the students!

Just wished the LA had picked a better device or at least give schools an option of devices I also wished I was told the school was responsible for the support before the school placed the order!
    Were not quite getting 85 we are only getting 27. For the types of families these devices are going I feel they really need to be hard wearing and idiot proof that the user will be able to get them to work straight out of the box. With the Vodafone 3G card the amount of abuse these may get is slightly worrying. - Please note: this is not meant to be stereotyping these type of families in anyway, but probably the same students struggle to bring a pen into school each day never mind a laptop.

Good luck getting your 85 setup and ready to go - I was told they are arriving in school next week and with little time to get them distributed and office 2007 installed. I am going to have to find a secure alarmed location to keep them in over the summer - and good luck finding a home for your 85!

In the last two years I have ran a laptop leasing scheme but will not be doing so this year, due to the amount of extra work I envistage these CfP bringing us through support etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Good luck getting your 85 setup and ready to go - I was told they are arriving in school next week and with little time to get them distributed and office 2007 installed. I am going to have to find a secure alarmed location to keep them in over the summer - and good luck finding a home for your 85!
    I don't have any involvement in this project, but as far as I'm aware they will arrive pre-configured with Office 2007, AV, etc all setup and ready to go. All of the other bundled 'stuff' should have been removed too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simongrahamuk View Post
    I don't have any involvement in this project, but as far as I'm aware they will arrive pre-configured with Office 2007, AV, etc all setup and ready to go. All of the other bundled 'stuff' should have been removed too.
    I wasn't aware of the pre-installed with Office 2007 (wasn't mentioned in the meeting I was at) as I had kept money aside to purchase the licences - if so thats even better and no bloat ware!

Great news!

If its not I'll blame you for getting my hopes up!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just to note the ones we purchased they never had office 2007 pre-installed. not even a trial.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-Tech View Post
    just to note the ones we purchased they never had office 2007 pre-installed. not even a trial.

James.
    These are been imaged by the LA as part of the CfP scheme not off the shelf so to speak.

Thanks

Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast