+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptop trolly alternative? in Technical; We currently have 116 laptops over 4 laptop trollys (not to mention the small racks of 6 laptops in odd ...
    Thank Post

Laptop trolly alternative?

We currently have 116 laptops over 4 laptop trollys (not to mention the small racks of 6 laptops in odd departments). A 32, 30, 30, 20 + 4 spares. The oldest one, now almost 2 years old is starting to fall to bits, the trolly shelves are breaking. We also have another trolly, completely different design and brand and has had the wheels bend and the draws get stuck.

Staff love them, and love having the ICT in their room, but the trollys seem to just break after so long. Add the fact the power spikes they cause when switched on, and the rummbling when being moved cannot be that good for the laptops, does anybody else have a better idea than trollys?

Need a better idea.

Thank Post
    Which trolleys do you have?

We have a few bad ones but LapSafe's are quality, got three and not had any problems, and they look ok as well.

Mobile laptop storage and recharging | Lapsafe | Laptop Security

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mullet_man View Post
    Which trolleys do you have?
    The one thats falling to bits now after a year and a half is
    Portable Technology Solutions

Cannot find a link to the other type we have where the wheels have bent and the trays get jammed or fall.

I'm thinking maybe storage cupboards with racks in certain areas, maybe holding upto 60 laptops.

Thank Post
    LapSafe is the way to go... you will spend a bit more on the units but, as you have found, you pay for what you get. IIRC LapSafe gear all comes with three year on-site warranty (including any reasonable damage that you may have caused).

The LapSafe Ambassador unit is also a good option for static units.

I don't work for LapSafe... I just appreciate good stuff!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have a couple of LapCabbys here. Can't say I like em much. They are made from chipboard and I'm not sure the power supplies are best placed in a draw at the bottom of the cabinet - fire hazard?

Thank Post
    How much did the 30 machine lapsafe ones cost? Using the leads that come with the laptops?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    does anybody else have a better idea than trollys?
    Did try with sack trucks with laptops in plastic boxes. Four laptops to a box, two boxes to a sack truck. Not a massive success as the boxes tended to get messed up and wind up a big tangle of wires really quickly, but that could have been people taking them to bits to use the laptops plugged in the whole time. Bit heavy to lift for children. It might be easier to have static cabinets in classrooms and move the pupils to the classrooms rather than the other way around (pupils have legs, laptops don't).

The decent Lapsafe, etc, stuff is good but expensive. It can't cost that much to weld together a half-decent trolley with decent large wheels, soft tyres and solid construction, surely? An opening in the market there for someone!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We use:

Lapsafes - by far the most expensive, but also by far the best quality, and their support has been excellent, - even got a free replacement lock after somone snapped a key off in it. Only ones of theirs i wasnt so impressed with are the ones that use the laptops own charger, as they dont appear to have anywhere to put the charger, so it got a bit messy.

Lapbanks - (made my loxit i think) These are pretty good - they are well made, and we haven't had a problem with them in the 2 years we've had them. They are considerably cheaper than lapsafes, and since they use the laptops own chargers, are cheap to change when the laptops change.

Home made cupboards - For 300 in parts and a few days work, i made up some individual laptop storage cupboards to hold and charge 40 laptops, with all the chargers behind. Have survived 18 months of abuse from children, and are still fine! Only used for static storage though.

Steve

Thank Post
    We use Lapbank (loxit) and haven't had any problems aside from staff forgetting to unplug from the socket before trying to move them!!!!

Sturdy and well made.

Seem a reasonable price from waht I remember

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread