+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Problems with HP Autoloader in Technical; Solved (but can't edit the title of this thread). OK, I'm not sure if this should be in Hardware or ...
    Thank Post

Problems with HP Autoloader

Solved (but can't edit the title of this thread).

OK, I'm not sure if this should be in Hardware or Software but here goes.

We recently purchased a new server (HP ML370 GS twin Xeon, X64, 4GB RAM, RAID 5 etc.) and along with it a new HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader.

All is setup OK and server and Autoloader are fine and dandy. The only issue is that I can't backup anything!

Server has 2003 SP2 x64 OS (will be used as Exchange 2007 server) and we're using Backup Exec 11d build 7170 x64 (latest version) and the driver pack for v7170. Autoloader has the latest firmware (1.80/1.80n) and the drive itself is on the latest firmware (D22W).

SCSI IDs are being picked up OK (ID4 LUN1) and we have a compatible SCSI setup for this autoloader.

When I run a backup job I get a fail with error 'E00084ED - A hardware error occurred' and the tape is marked as 'Not appendable (End marker unreadable)'. An erase of the tape fixes this until the next time I run the job.

None of the help from Symantec fixes anything and I'm stumped with thousands of pounds of kit not working.

Can anyone help? I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers

HBJB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 16th April 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Solved but can't edit the title !!

Thank Post
    shot in the dark, but which tapes are you using?.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    shot in the dark, but which tapes are you using?.
    LTO3. All new and all do the same thing as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

HBJB

Thank Post
    I'm off to see if NT Backup can write to it.

Footnote: the backup fails after seemingly backing up between 3,000,000 and 9,000,000 bytes (not sure if that's relevant or not).

HBJB

Thank Post

6. Thanks to strawberry from:

Heebeejeebee (16th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    Interesting. I don't have a spare lead right now. I suppose it could be this despite everything being brand new. Gaaahhh.

BTW - NTBackup didn't detect the drive at all so no joy there.

Cheers

HBJB

Thank Post
    report it to whomever provided the tapeloader and see if they'll send out an engineer with a spare cable or even better just pop one in the post.

Thank Post
    I've just looked at the lead - all seems well but you never can tell can you?

Also the autoloader has two ports on the back but I only have one on the server - is this correct?

HBJB

Thank Post
    I had similar issues when setting up Backup Exec 11D, admittedly this was when trying to backup to an internal SCSI tape drive, but I was also using brand new tapes.

I found that the issue was with the Job that I'd setup and the Media Set. I can't remember the specific settings for the Job (and can't check at the moment as there is a backup running!) but there is a section in the Job setup for configuring what action to take when tapes already contain data - Appending / Overwriting tapes. I configured that in the job to always allow it to overwrite and set the protection period for appending and overwriting to none. Also I right clicked on the Media Set that the tapes belong to, select properties and set both drop down boxes to Infinite (ensuring that you see none in the grayed out box on the left). A combination of those two solved that error for me....

Might be worth taking a copy of the Job you've setup and having a play around with the copy so you can see what settings make a difference.

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK So I've read the OP properly. It is compatible. I'll leave this post here in case a future solution seeker hasn't check it already.

What port have you got it plugged into? It needs to be a dedicated SCSI card, not a SmartArray port.

Enterprise backup solutions – StorageWorks – HP - Compatibility

Did you buy it from an HP Partner? They are usually quite helpful when you have a spot of bother.

I'd also recommend getting a carepack for the autoloader - if there are any further troubles HP can sort it for you. Finding the drive is dead, but having it's replacement onsite in 4 hours eliminates sleepless nights spent without a backup.
    Last edited by psydii; 10th April 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post
    I had similar issues when setting up Backup Exec 11D, admittedly this was when trying to backup to an internal SCSI tape drive, but I was also using brand new tapes.

I found that the issue was with the Job that I'd setup and the Media Set. I can't remember the specific settings for the Job (and can't check at the moment as there is a backup running!) but there is a section in the Job setup for configuring what action to take when tapes already contain data - Appending / Overwriting tapes. I configured that in the job to always allow it to overwrite and set the protection period for appending and overwriting to none. Also I right clicked on the Media Set that the tapes belong to, select properties and set both drop down boxes to Infinite (ensuring that you see none in the grayed out box on the left). A combination of those two solved that error for me....

Might be worth taking a copy of the Job you've setup and having a play around with the copy so you can see what settings make a difference.

Hope this helps!
    I know exactly what you mean and it was one of the first things I checked. In the media set I'm using I have 0 hours for overwrite protection and 'Infinite - allow append' setup. The backup job is set to use the correct (and only) media set. I've double checked this against my other 11d jobs on two other servers and they're setup identically.

I've ordered a new cable in case that is actually the issue after all.

Thanks for your input.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    I've just looked at the lead - all seems well but you never can tell can you?

Also the autoloader has two ports on the back but I only have one on the server - is this correct?

HBJB
    Yes, the other scsi connection is left unused as it is auto terminated.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1213970

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1158447

These might help....users are reporting of backup failures at 30gb and 80gb of a job, looks like it's an issue with the LSI card.

Looks like a bit of a nightmare to sort out...might be easiest to cut you're losses and buy a different
    U320 card. Never had a problem with the adaptec card in my Dell PE2950 if that helps in searching for a replacement.
    Last edited by torledo; 10th April 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Problem is fixed now.

I ordered a new cable, fitted it, did a fresh inventory of my tapes (I had stuck bar-code labels on them and wanted them to be picked up) and it worked.

Thanks to all those who offered advice.

HBJB

Thank Post

Other Fix

I had the same error. It popped up right after I applied the latest 11d update. (June-2008). I replaced the SCSI cable, checked tapes etc. etc. Nothing helped.

I resolved this issue with a Firmware update of my Arcvault 24 library. I was on 4.04 I went to 5.10.

FYI

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster-2008 View Post
    I had the same error. It popped up right after I applied the latest 11d update. (June-2008). I replaced the SCSI cable, checked tapes etc. etc. Nothing helped.

I resolved this issue with a Firmware update of my Arcvault 24 library. I was on 4.04 I went to 5.10.

FYI
    As an edition to the original thread, it started to happen again soon after changing the lead and this time turned out to be the terminator. It's been working fine ever since. On reflection the terminator was probably intermittent all along.

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread