+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Data Splitters !! in Technical; Originally Posted by jamin100 Just figured out that they don't work on gig ethernet and all my switches are gigabit... ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Just figured out that they don't work on gig ethernet and all my switches are gigabit...

Ok.. so now i have to find another way around my problem...

I need to turn 1 outlet into 2. I cant use a switch because there are no spare power outlets near by.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Ahh, you're switches may be gigabit but are the endpoint(s) in the room where you need the splitters connecting at gigabit or at 100meg. If it's at 100meg then you're switches will autonegotiate and the link will have those unused pairs you need.

fwiw i agree with synack splitter are messy, even with one or two they can make a mess of you're switch cabinet - or should i say even more of a mess.

A few years back 3com used to sell a shiny silver single gang in-wall 5 or 6 port unmanaged switch with either a 100meg or 1gbps uplink.
    How cool is that. From what i recall it needed local power, and it was a bit pricier than data spitter. See if it's still being sold.

Here we go the 3com intellijack series.....have a read on the PoE options, and it appears some of the models are 2 gang rather than 1.

3ComŪ IntelliJackŪ Switch Family Overview Features & Benefits

Here's the one i'd recommend and at 50 quid it's considerable more elegant than a splitter and a LOT and easier than puling more ethernet cable to the room back to you're cab.

3COM Intellijack Switch Nj105 4x Fenet In The Wall 3CNJ105
    Last edited by torledo; 9th April 2008 at 07:40 AM.

2. Thanks to torledo from:

jamin100 (9th April 2008)

Thank Post
    How about getting one of these retractacable.com ?

Usb powered 5 port ethernet switch.

Steve

4. Thanks to steveg from:

laserblazer (12th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Sorry, I'm probably being completely dense but I can see the reason for having to use the things in pairs but I can't work out where the pairs would go. If I have a single network port and I want to connect two computers to it, then I stick a splitter in the port and connect the two computers to the splitter. Where does the other splitter go?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    On the network driver, can you not specify the network card operates at 100Mbps, which should then force the switch also to operate at 100Mbps.

Your alternative could be to go wireless I suppose and put an access point on the end, or of course another switch, as already suggested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Sorry, I'm probably being completely dense but I can see the reason for having to use the things in pairs but I can't work out where the pairs would go. If I have a single network port and I want to connect two computers to it, then I stick a splitter in the port and connect the two computers to the splitter. Where does the other splitter go?
    One goes at each end of the cable so one say in the classroom and the other in the patch panel

Thank Post
    So you have buy two splitters then?
    I've just discovered that one of my network sockets has died a death, cover taken off - no obvious damage, changed cables etc etc so was going to buy a splitter and run two pc's from it. My only other plan was to move the wireless access point and use the ports on that but that may mean leaving an area of school without decent wireless cover.

Just found this on Dabs would this work?http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...ationKey=11176 5 port switch
    Last edited by chrbb; 12th September 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    One goes at each end of the cable so one say in the classroom and the other in the patch panel
    Thanks, told you I was being dense.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    So you have buy two splitters then?
    I've just discovered that one of my network sockets has died a death, cover taken off - no obvious damage, changed cables etc etc so was going to buy a splitter and run two pc's from it. My only other plan was to move the wireless access point and use the ports on that but that may mean leaving an area of school without decent wireless cover.

Just found this on Dabs would this work?dabs.com - Edimax 5 Port 10/100Mbps Switch (ES3105P) 5 port switch
    Correct, one at each end, and the reason for that is one uses 2 pairs of cable and the other port uses the other 2 pairs but the splitter then ensures they are presented on the right pins for the switches to allow them and the pc to communicate etc... only put one in and you got a mess!!!

Yes you could put that on the end of your working port and give you 4 more ports to have in that location

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12