+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, What to do with old mobos in Technical; Originally Posted by ITWombat Surely the distinction between base and extended memory is only a distinction in what it is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat View Post
    Surely the distinction between base and extended memory is only a distinction in what it is possible to address in real versus protected modes of Intel x86 processors.
    The base (i.e. first) 640K of the memory map would still be on one of the RAM modules that were removed.
    On the older boards at least the base memory was located on the motherboard itself as dos would report 640k + however many MB of chips you had installed. But I think that most modern motherboards will simply not allow you to boot without a RAM chip installed.

Thank Post
    Always wanted to do a display of exploded PC parts, all labelled up and on view on a board or similar...but running, connected together, using an old CRT or similar in a display cupboard running a "Welcome to the IT Suites" info board type thing.

I have an old IDE drive somewhere with a perspex top cover that I was playing with..never quite found the time though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information