+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Another EEE competitor - And this one looks GOOD in Technical; Looks like MSI are breaking in to the sub laptop area. From the article the specs seem to be.... 1.6ghz ...

Thank Post

Another EEE competitor - And this one looks GOOD

Looks like MSI are breaking in to the sub laptop area. From the article the specs seem to be....

1.6ghz Intel Atom CPU
    1GB RAM
    SSD
    10" Screen
    XP

And wait for it.....185!

Full article : Computer Shopper: News: The stunning laptop that undercuts the Eee PC

2. Thanks to m1ddy from:

kmount (3rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    That looks beautiful.

Thank Post
    It does look nice in hte pictures and the size sounds like it would be perfect for me... I've only held off geeting an eeePC becaus of the 7" screen.

I wouldn't want one with Windows on though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ahem, they say they'll sell for "about $370", which sure as much converts into 180squid.

doesn't mean we'll get it for that price though......

and as ric has said, these little things would be much happier with linux

Thank Post
    What i want to know is what is the difference between a 1.6ghz Atom processor and 1.2ghz Core solo or duo ULV processor....

Can one processor not cover both the 8.9inch ultraportables like the eee and the up to 12.1 inch ultraportables that at the moment use the ULV.

Is it more than Intel just forcing the Atom line on manufacturers because they've rolled out this Atom platform and all the marketing hype.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Interesting article here:
    Microsoft extends XP through 2010 for ultra-low-cost laptops | The Industry Standard

MS are extending sales of XP to 2010 to accommodate these devices

Thank Post
    @Torledo: AFAIK the Atom is simply the new name for the ULV processors using the 45nm fabrication process. See Intel Atom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little more info.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone seen any benchmarks though?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @Torledo: AFAIK the Atom is simply the new name for the ULV processors using the 45nm fabrication process. See Intel Atom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little more info.
    I don't think it is Ric, i've done a little digging trying to look beyond the plethora of intel codenames. It appears the ULV and LV range is to continue with the new penryn 45nm core 2 duo designs. They plan on releasing a 1.4ghz ULV that will draw less power than previous ULV's while designed to work with the forthcoming montevina chipset and have a faster FSB.

I suspect Atom doesn't have enough juice for the performance ultraportable market. Hence they need single and dual core ULV's for machines like the dell D430. Asus and nokia have created two new classifications of computer, and i think Atom is there specifically for laptops like the eee and MIDs like the N800. Interestingly the wikipedia article suggests that Atom won't go down into the smartphone market, but i think the plan is take on ARM in that category eventually.

In the market it targets the biggest think for Atom to do is very low power consumption with fanless operation and loooong battery life.

One of the execs at ARM basically said Intel have talked about Atom processor power consumption, but they won't talk about chipset power envelope as that draws power aswell. Maybe ARM have got both those nailed whereas intel haven't as of yet with the atom design.

Thank Post
    The more competition the better it'll be for everyone Looks very promising though at those figures.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Looks like a lovely little machine will be interesting to see how it performs but it would also make a lot of sense as a vle web platform access device perfect for our MIS system.

Ben

Thank Post
    From a little more reading, the Atom supports the full Core instruction set but is a new architecture of processor. Benchmarks seem to put the 1.6GHz Atom at about the same processing power as a 900MHz Celeron-D which isn't fantastically fast but is sufficient for what it is intended to do. Power management is meant to be excellent too.

Incidentally, ZDNet reports that the eeePC will start shipping with Atom processors in May (see Asus Eee to get Intel's Atom processor - ZDNet.co.uk ).
    Last edited by Ric_; 7th April 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: extras

Thank Post
    Looks very tasty, screen being the major difference - have to wonder how they're gonna manage it as I thought the screen was the major cost component? Just hope the price doesn't shoot up as it usually does after we get excited by doing a $$$ to conversion!

Thank Post
    and another from HP

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    From a little more reading, the Atom supports the full Core instruction set but is a new architecture of processor. Benchmarks seem to put the 1.6GHz Atom at about the same processing power as a 900MHz Celeron-D which isn't fantastically fast but is sufficient for what it is intended to do. Power management is meant to be excellent too.

Incidentally, ZDNet reports that the eeePC will start shipping with Atom processors in May (see Asus Eee to get Intel's Atom processor - ZDNet.co.uk ).
    That's very interesting news regarding the eee. The atom platform should improve the battery life....which i think is poor for an ultraportablee atm.

First i've heard about eee continuing to provide a linux os. The higher specced follow up models to the 8gb 900 sound like fantastic buys. Hopefully long battery life, 8.9 inch led screen and 16gb SSD...if it comes in at 350 quid that would be a pretty impressive package.
    Near unbeatable....especially if HP stick with the miniscule 6.9inch with their mini notebook.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast