+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Server tape drive probs in Technical; Ok, dont laugh. I'm a technician but i dont have a fat lot to do with the servers...they (and NM) ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Server tape drive probs

Ok, dont laugh. I'm a technician but i dont have a fat lot to do with the servers...they (and NM) make me nervous.

Network Manager is away at moment. I've been left in charge of usual duties such as changing backup tapes and checking backup logs. Went in after Bank Holidays and a day off to find that the SIMS server hasn't backed up for at least a week with the log blaming a hardware or media fault. On the front of the drive all 3 lights are flashing green.
    We are an RM school. Opened a call with RM, they agreed it was hardware problem, wanted me to install Sony Tape Tool on server which would require a reboot, if i dont do that then no one will come out.

So, what do i do?

Install the tool and get RM to send a guy out. I'm guessing installing a bit of software on the server is like any other computer and a reboot is fine because it's not a forest or domain server. Seriously, i dont touch these things. You probably cant see what the problem is.

-or-

Dont touch. Keep everything crossed and wait until NM gets back on Friday which will mean 2 weeks of no backup?!? And then be told i should have called RM.

Grrrr.....don't laugh!!

Thank Post
    I'd go for the former option only if you're confident.

Have a nosy here and see how you feel about it...

The alternative is that if you have a good chunk of space left on the server, we could set up a disk backup ... just to buy some time?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well i just found some info on the RM site. To run the tape test you need a tape that can be overwritten, well im buggered then cus i dont know what i can use.
    It's an AIT2 i think, so that means there's no reset hole. My only choice is to try a reboot maybe. Am i right in thinking a can reboot the SIMS server without having to worry about the Forest root or domains?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks kmount, thats the page i found...

If its a hardware prob a reboot wont do much will it...

Thank Post
    Hi,

Yeah, as long as you don't have any remote workers, you can reboot the SIMS server without too much hassle.

Might be worth checking for Open Files on the server prior to this reboot?

Mind you, it may be easier for me to talk you through a SIMS Backup to Disk which you could transfer across the network to a server WITH a working tape drive?

What do youthink?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for not making me feel stoopid!!

I don't think i feel confident enough to. I'm sure you could really help me but my NM is VERY protective of the network so i'd rather not touch.

This is annoying, i'm not a complete numpty and am probably quite capable. I think i should probably just stick to setting up the new workstations in our computer suite and hope for the best. At least i can say i've tried.

It's wierd, Device Manager new it was there, but according to LED codes in that document it's a hardware fault. Thats why i was wondering about the reboot.

Thank Post
    Its not a problem honestly.

I'm slightly disappointed RM didn't offer to install the tool and run the tests for you given your not wanting (and quite understandingly) to break it.

I'd be urging for a SIMS back up to be taken certainly before April 1st when the new financial year kicks in just incase! - Maybe worth giving the NM a quick email just saying the situation and asking whether he wants you to resolve it, or to wait for him.

Obviously, very difficult circumstances if the school doesn't have plans/documentation to deal with issues such as this!

8. Thanks to kmount from:

Little-Miss (29th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NM is away on holiday. Do i text and ruin their tropical break?

Was shown how to do all sorts apart from this. Typically we were discussing that we think one of the others is on the way out because its keeps asking to be cleaned. I wouldn't be panicing as much if it was one of the others. I think the SIMS server is relatively new.

New financial year....crap.

I'm sure we pay RM to sort these things out!!!!

Thank Post
    If its a newish server, I'd be surprised if it was an AIT2 drive as they are getting on a bit!

I'm on holiday at the moment (not on a tropical break) and I've already has a phone call about backups so its part of the territory!

It depends what you pay RM for, as our member server (even though its RM) isn't covered but our DCs are!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, maybe i was wrong. I was sure i'd scrawled AIT2 on my hand lol.

Well when i questioned my NM about what happens if a tape drive fails, are they under warranty, would they be replaced, the answer was yes... unfortunately didnt ask WHAT to do in such a situation!!!

Thank Post
    Ok, if its an RM Server, locate the serial number which will either start WO or TO.

With this serial number, (if you have an RM Account), we can look up its warranty/specs etc to ascertain which drive it is and whether its under warranty etc.

If you don't have an account on RM.com, send me the serial and I'll check for you.

HTH.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Generally speaking Little-Miss, Sims servers are not domain controllers, but member servers. Their sole purpose is for hosting Sims data and the databases themselves.

Restarting the server is exactly the same process as restarting a workstation, apart from it may take longer, as servers generally host a lot more services. As for Device Manager, it simply means that Windows is communicating ok with the device and that drivers are installed correctly. It sounds to me a restart is required to cycle power through the tape drive.

I would install the application RM recommend and then restart the server. Initially I would insert a tape and initialise the backup manually. If you still experience problems, then run the application RM recommend and report back to them accordingly.

Let us know how you get on

14. Thanks to Michael from:

Little-Miss (31st March 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Michael.

Don't mean to sound rude (or possibly stupid) but how can i do a manual backup if the tape drive is F.U.B.A.R?

Have decided to bite the bullet and do what RM have suggested tomorrow. The only bit that seems to be worrying me is installing something on the server cus i would be completely buggered if it doesn't like the program and refuses to reboot. I'm guessing this is that same as any old computer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    After you've rebooted the server, this will re-cycle the power through all your server, including your tape drive. Now this may or may not restore the tape drive to full working functionality.

The original description you gave of all 3 LEDs on does sound like a fault, however a reboot can sometimes cure the problem. If it doesn't, RM wish you to run an application to perform other tests. This will allow RM to diagnose and support you further if required.

Of course, if the drive still doesn't work after rebooting the server and running their application, then the drive will be faulty. This should then be covered under your support package your establishment has with RM.

Please keep me posted when you've installed RM's application and rebooted the server. Then try a manual backup, but if this fails, then run RM's application and report your findings to them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok, will try a reboot. I would be so happy if that sorted it.

Thank you Michael, will keep you posted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast