+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Have you had a Eeepc trial? in Technical; We have a fair few... I know there's at least 6 hanging around in student hands.. might be nearer 12... ...

Thank Post
    We have a fair few... I know there's at least 6 hanging around in student hands.. might be nearer 12...

Most of the one's we've given students haven't been seen near our hands yet except when we migrated from our own proxy to using the SWGfL for wireless devices.

We've got one hooked up on XP, it's got no space left on it... can't remember what is/isn't installed on it, but we used the Fundamentals install for Legacy PC's to cut the size back...

It's been added to our domain so it's picked up the top level software (Equitrac Client, Securus and some other teeny tiny apps), but it works well I think..

I'm not really aware of any issues... all the kids like them, they'd prefer them to disk drives, but that's so they can listen to music while they work - a valid point, but easily solved with some polite questions and patience I guess.

The 8gb XP versions should be quite handy, though IIRC, a fully updated XP and Office 2003 won't fit on an 8gb drive... (was a few years ago when I last tried so I might have had some other stuff on it)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I heard that putting xp on could reduce the life of the solid state drive on account of it writing a lot more to it than when linux was on.

I mean... I could be wrong. But I read it so it must be true

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I heard that putting xp on could reduce the life of the solid state drive on account of it writing a lot more to it than when linux was on.
    Certainly XP will write more than the default OS, because the default has been tuned specifically to minimize disk writes, how much this damages the disk is debatable.

Thank Post
    I'm still waiting for mine, ordered jan 5th for a 25th march delivery and I've just had an e-mail to say it'll be may 6th now still, I'm looking forward to it getting here. Can I ask how you installed xp on it? from a usb drive?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12