+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, SCSI Connection to Backup Device keeps failing in Technical; Well, this gets weirder and weirder..... Made myself a cup of tea, headed straight for the server 'cupboard' to make ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, this gets weirder and weirder.....

Made myself a cup of tea, headed straight for the server 'cupboard' to make myself comfortable and to take a look at things in a bit more depth.

Pulled side of server case off, had a good proper look this time.

Ok, Tape Library is connected by SCSI Connection off the main board (via a back plate), using a HD68 to HD68 SCSI Cable. The additional card is infact the Intel Raid Controller. Tape software not seeing the device at all, however, located in the Device Manager is an 'Other Device' listed as a 'SONQ SDX-1100 SCSI Sequential Device'. Now, that should be a 'SONY SDX-1100 SCSI Sequential Device'. Odd, very very odd, SONQ should be SONY!!!. Tried resetting the library, still no joy. So I download the Sony Firmware update tool and try that.

Now, as soon as I run the tool, the SONQ device disappears and becomes a SONY Device listed in the Tape Drives! Firmware flashes ok, and Backexec jumps into life and starts the back up that's been pending!!!

Think I may have some sort of driver corruption or something! But I may still get a new SCSI Cable just to rule out that one!

Oh, the joys of IT. Don't you just lurve these little challenges!!!???

Anybody get any other ideas?

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Well, this gets weirder and weirder.....

Made myself a cup of tea, headed straight for the server 'cupboard' to make myself comfortable and to take a look at things in a bit more depth.

Pulled side of server case off, had a good proper look this time.

Ok, Tape Library is connected by SCSI Connection off the main board (via a back plate), using a HD68 to HD68 SCSI Cable. The additional card is infact the Intel Raid Controller. Tape software not seeing the device at all, however, located in the Device Manager is an 'Other Device' listed as a 'SONQ SDX-1100 SCSI Sequential Device'. Now, that should be a 'SONY SDX-1100 SCSI Sequential Device'. Odd, very very odd, SONQ should be SONY!!!. Tried resetting the library, still no joy. So I download the Sony Firmware update tool and try that.

Now, as soon as I run the tool, the SONQ device disappears and becomes a SONY Device listed in the Tape Drives! Firmware flashes ok, and Backexec jumps into life and starts the back up that's been pending!!!

Think I may have some sort of driver corruption or something! But I may still get a new SCSI Cable just to rule out that one!

Oh, the joys of IT. Don't you just lurve these little challenges!!!???

Anybody get any other ideas?

Pete
    do you know you what model the server motherboard is ? Or could you tell us the make and model of the server itself.

So the tape library is using the onboard scsi connection via the backplate and the other expansion card is the intel RAID controller. I thought the other card was an LSI ?

I would suggest you save yourself a lot of bother and order an adaptec scsi card from misco or pcwb. They're not expensive i'd imagine you can pick one up for 60 or 70 quid.

Could you do a screen grab of device manager to see what we've got under scsi controllers and tape devices.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Server Board is an Intel SE7520BD2, the Server is built by CSE.

My original quick look at the Server was wrong (many appologies ), and can now confirm that the Server has an Intel RAID Card which looks after the main RAID of the machine. The LSI stuff is all onboard.

Intel RAID Card is a SRCU42L device which does have one VHCI connector externally, but I'd rather leave that looking after the RAID and nothing else.

Backup device is attached to HD68 Backplate which is ribbon connected to the motherboard. I found an invoice for this ribbon connector back in the office.

I'm too am leaning towards getting an additional SCSI Controller Card and new cable.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12