+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Hp 6720s in Technical; Anyone using these? Just downgraded to xp using the disks supplied by Hp, everything ok except the lan. If I ...
    Thank Post

Hp 6720s

Anyone using these? Just downgraded to xp using the disks supplied by Hp, everything ok except the lan. If I plug a cable in the laptop gets an ip address but can't connect to the domain, take it out and the laptop reconnects straight away using the wireless adaptor. When the network cable is in the mouse and keyboard are slow and jerky. Hp suggested I connect my isp and then told me to flash the bios when I pointed out I'm on a school network with everything working until a network cable is plugged in!

I'm sure it's a driver issue or maybe a conflict, any suggestions?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a known issue:

Business support forums - 6720s Network Card problem - XP

Have you flashed the BIOS?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like HP are having problems with their site right now - can't get to the downloads section.

The latest version available is F.09 dated 10 Jan 2008. Site takes ages to load.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 26th March 2008 at 07:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Right I'm a coward where flashing bios is concerned and worry I might end up with a laptop thats unuseable!

The bios on the laptops is f 01 the latest is f 09 - should i go for an older version or go straight for the latest, the information with the download says to close all programs, but I wonder it I would be better off reinstalling windows and running the bios update before I install any of the drivers etc. Help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I've flashed the BIOS from Windows many times. Just make sure no applications are running and when flashing the BIOS, don't touch the mouse or keyboard until you're asked to restart.

I would recommend going for the latest BIOS version. This should fix your problem by the sound of things.

I'd also recommend you enter the BIOS after you restart to make sure the update was applied successfully. Save all settings then exit. Then re-try connecting an Ethernet cable as before when you're in Windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @chrbb - The hp bios upgrades are usually pretty pain free as they are run from inside windows while the system is live. This gives the system the ability to re flash the old bios image back if the new one fails. Just use a USB key to put the file onto the hard drive then execute. I have yet to have any issues with hp laptop bios upgrades as I have done around 50 of them and they have all been fine.

If you are really concerned about windows stability there may be an offline flash module that you can install from a different boot environment like dos.

Thank Post
    Thanks! When you say applications - do you mean the hp things that run in the background or the obvious like sophos?

Thank Post
    With these laptops they have a problem with the display drivers and the screen flickering... this is solved here with the beta BIOS' HP Discussion Thread read this before you flash any BIOS'.. its quite a lenthy thread tho.

Mike

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Taskbar processes are fine. I mean applications like IE, MS Word, Excel, Firefox etc...

10. Thanks to Michael from:

chrbb (27th March 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information