+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Server Racks. in Technical; I need a server rack, a full depth one but half height or smaller, for 2 -4 servers. Anyone got ...
    Thank Post

Server Racks.

I need a server rack, a full depth one but half height or smaller, for 2 -4 servers. Anyone got one for sale or know where to buy one cheap?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Mills perhaps or eBay?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Second hand ones are cheap the only problem is transporting a second hand one. The new ones are pretty expensive. If you can find a second hand one in your area you will get yourself a barging.

Thank Post
    Ebay has lots of full height ones for cheeeeeeaaap, but no full depth half height ones., still a 42U monolith will look impressive in my tiny office.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I probably got one will check when back at work but transport is going to cost.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    I have used this company before:

http://www.racksolutions.co.uk/

They have supplied me with trays / shelves in the past which I have managed to fit in our crappy Prism Cabinet.
    They are very quick at delivery and I have found the quality of their stuff excellent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I have used this company before:

http://www.racksolutions.co.uk/

They have supplied me with trays / shelves in the past which I have managed to fit in our crappy Prism Cabinet.
    They are very quick at delivery and I have found the quality of their stuff excellent.
    ah yes, i've just removed a prism data cabinet from a very small room housing some our switching kit. The prism was taking up far too much space in the room considering it was only housing 1u switches and patch panels, it's use was one of the many design brain farts from the original installers.

Replaced it with a 2 post rack instead.

Are they still using glass doors for the server cabinets ? the twits.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    ah yes, i've just removed a prism data cabinet from a very small room housing some our switching kit. The prism was taking up far too much space in the room considering it was only housing 1u switches and patch panels, it's use was one of the many design brain farts from the original installers.

Oh yes, and they are still crap beyond belief. Ours now only has 3 casters on the bottom as one 'broke' - I replaced it with a wooden block.
    The side panels are a pain to get on and off and the whole thing in regards to build standard is just a joke. I could make something and stronger out of plastic mechano.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Oh yes, and they are still crap beyond belief. Ours now only has 3 casters on the bottom as one 'broke' - I replaced it with a wooden block.
    The side panels are a pain to get on and off and the whole thing in regards to build standard is just a joke. I could make something and stronger out of plastic mechano.
    haha, wooden block, good one.

I know what you mean about the doors - i never bothered to put them back on i was taking them on and off so often....

the thing that tells you they're poor is the use of castors. Any server or data cabinet worth it's salt should have adjustable feet in addition to castors.....castors are for moving around once you've got you're rack in place lower the feet. And resist the urge to move the thing ever again.
    If you haven't got feet to lower you know the rack is crap.

Thank Post
    Agree about the casters. This rack was ordered before I arrived at the school - oh yes and when they delivered it - [ un-made ] they supplied no instructions.
    Also when I ordered another shelf for it, when it turned up it did not fit.
    The stuff I have got from rack solutions has been really good - everything has fitted perfectly and was straight forward to put together.
    I was used in my last job at using IBM racks, expensive yes, but the sliding shelves / runners you got etc where again straight forward to fit. Even the servers came with templates + you could plan the rack with the IBM rack server software.
    I would love to leave the side panels of our rack but I just happen to sit right next to it !! [ Plus it has a nice calendar breakdown of my backup tapes rotation plan !! ]
    As the network in our school has doubled in size over the last 4 years since my employment, there are talks of extensions to buildings etc so I have asked for a dedicated small fully air coned comms room to be considered, which would just house a rack and a few servers etc. If that happens is of course another story.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post

Huh? I don't get it. I have Prism cabinets on my walls and for my main server cabinet out of choice. The build quality is high and I've had no problems with any of them. It doesn't take up giant amounts of space either - it wouldn't fit in the room if it did!

It had proper feet, plus detachable casters for moving it if necessary.

And what's wrong with glass doors? You'll find that most cabinets havd glass doors, as this allows for someone to see any status lights showing on the servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Huh? I don't get it. I have Prism cabinets on my walls and for my main server cabinet out of choice. The build quality is high and I've had no problems with any of them. It doesn't take up giant amounts of space either - it wouldn't fit in the room if it did!

It had proper feet, plus detachable casters for moving it if necessary.

And what's wrong with glass doors? You'll find that most cabinets havd glass doors, as this allows for someone to see any status lights showing on the servers.
    glass doors for a server cabinet are a big no no.......how are the servers going to get cooled when very little air is getting to the front of the servers because of the glass door ?

At my last job we had glass cabinets and the doors had to be kept open when a rack became fully loaded otherwise equipment was just overheating and this was well before the current era of densely packed 1 and 2u servers and blades. The room also had raised floor cooling and still the doors had to be left open.

The size of our prism was just too big for the it's location and purpose, that's not a slight against them more the fault of the installers who should have done a better job of using the correct equipment for the space they were given. As it's a comms room a 2 post rack is best use of space.

The prism didn't appear to have levelling feat, just castors. Just as well as the thing needed to be moved around every now and again because surprise surprise the room is home to other things that shouldn't be there at all. and the cab was getting in the way.

Practically all rack makers are now using mesh door designs because they need to let in upwards of 50% of air reaching the rack to get through to cool the servers. Perforated doors are the only way to do this. As for status lights, i just open the door if i need to see them. not a problem as clearance to open the door is there. I see that as a very minor benefit of using glass doors, heavily outweighed by the con.
    Last edited by torledo; 22nd March 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Another supplier u can use is www.orionuk.biz

I have used them before for Server Cabinets and Server Cable Trays and PDUs, very good service and quality.

14. Thanks to kingshez_2008 from:

ICT_GUY (14th May 2008)

Thank Post
    I am currently looking for a second hand floor standing server cabinet, about 24u if possible, anyone looking to get rid of any? purchase or free would be wonderful.

Thanks

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast