+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, monochrome printers for classroom use in Technical; We have a mixture of monochrome Kyocera FS-1750, 1800, 1900 network laser printers in classrooms controlled by Server 2003. We ...

Thank Post

monochrome printers for classroom use

We have a mixture of monochrome Kyocera FS-1750, 1800, 1900 network laser printers in classrooms controlled by Server 2003. We are having increasing issues with print quality and maintenance costs are rising. My impression is that the Kyoceras have low running costs when all you need is toner but they can suddenly become very expensive if you need to replace anything else.
    I am considering replacing a number of these and wondered what other schools use? Basic requirement is around 24 page per minute, non-duplexed performance and preferably easy to clear print jams.

Thanks

Brian

Thank Post

Re: monochrome printers for classroom use

We have 6 HP 2200's that have worked flawlessly for the last 4 years, we go through a shed load of printing as we open our rooms up to Adult Ed etc too.

They've never broken down and they only problem I had was with one of the JetDirect cards, which HP acknolwedged as a known fault and replaced.

We get cheap toner at £27 for a generic and £49 for a real HP.

They've been replaced with HP 2420's (as far as I can tell they've changed the colour of them).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Before we started using colour lasers in the classrooms we had a mixture of HP 2100s, 2200s and 2300s. We now buy 2420s for admin staff who need heavy duty printers and 1320s for those who don't. Both are nice printers and do us well.

Thank Post

For classroom use Ive been buying second user HP 4050 TN printers . Very reliable and suits our budget at £125 for a network laser printer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

I tend to use the 4200 series for classrooms if I just want black as they are very very robust, where as the lower end HP stuff seems like expensive tat now, they are going very plasticey for my liking. But the 4200 is a bit over your spec, so maybe try out the cheaper ones.

Although I agree with Chris's statement of Recondiditoned 4000's they are dirt cheap and very cheap to run, if running costs are something thats a major fact, check out the cost of toner for the newer HPs are they are loving the Killer chips now, so lots of them have them, and that can add £10+ to compatible cartridges, so its worth watching out for them, and sticking to the 4000/4050 range for really cheap toners.

I think I paid £22 for my last few toners for the 4000s I had, but had to pay £42 for the 4200 toners. Although I will say I now tend to use Genuine HP stuff as that has really come down in price recently, I paid £60 for a genuine HP toner for a LJ8050 which is good value to say thats a high end HP A3 laser

Thank Post

Same as ChrisH here. I've just got rid of a good few Kyoceras cos they are rubbish.

Replaced nearly all printers with 2nd user 4050tn for £125 each. These things are cheap to run and last forever!

If you chat to 1st Technologies, they will happily take your Kyocera ones off you too.

Thank Post

agree absolutely about the kyocera's - they are truly awful. quite bizarre, because many of the reviews i read in pcw and pcpro [when that model of kyocera was released] were very favorable, especially on running costs [both economic and environmental]. We now use HP Laser Jet 4250 Printers - fantastic quality, speed, networking credentials...

Thank Post

I have not owned a Kyocera Laser, and don't want to, I have had / have Kyocera copiers, I am willing to swap them for a good quality Tosh Copier if anybody wants these things. They are not nice, the quality is not bad until they need a service then its drops to poor and the spares are expensive, and at times in very short supply.

Thank Post

The Kyoceras seemed fine until recently... I inherited them with the job.

It seems that the drivers dislike Citrix (a definate downside in my place) and they all recently started going mental about paper sizes (something I can only put down to Server 2003 since they work fine printing locally off a XP box). Mine also weren't networked - I hate that!

Thank Post

4200N, 4300N, 4250N for classrooms here. 2420N 2300N for smaller rooms. Admin are 2300,2420s. Makes life ordering toners much easier, and despite being expensive, the 4000s have lasted well. I'm always very careful not to end up with any non real hardware printers on site (no winprinters round here ) Colour is an oki 9300 v2, very pleased with it still after 2 years.

HP colours suck :P Put an 8550DTN in the skip a while back.

Thank Post

Just think of all the money you will save now! I just spent £600 on a full set of toner for one of my HP colour lasers (go through a full set once a term if not more often!) then the HOD asks why is it costing so much, and I say its HP, then they say you told us thats all we could have, and I say not my decision, I have to go by the rule. My advice to all departments is use the colour copier we have, it works out cheaper than the printers by a long way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread