+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Server Cabinets and UPSs in Technical; Has anyone bought a server cabinet or a UPS recently? We currently have a number of APC Smart 1500s but ...

Thank Post

Server Cabinets and UPSs

Has anyone bought a server cabinet or a UPS recently? We currently have
    a number of APC Smart 1500s but all are running on full capacity and one
    intermittently fails so I thought I'd swap for something a little
    larger. However our 4ft high rack doesn't have the space to install the
    UPSs "in" the bottom and the "lid" won't take the weight of anything
    heavier so we could do with a new rack too.

Any suggestions as to where to get the rack from or welcome.

Chris

Thank Post
    TLC Direct supply network cabinets etc and Videk, both have websites or even better just do a google search for what your looking for.

Thank Post

suck or blow?

On a similar subject should cabinet roof fans suck or blow?

http://www.comms-express.com/pd-9897...categoryId=134

Sucking air out goes with the natural flow of air in the cabinet but potentially draws air in the base where there is an increased chance of dust ingress.

Blowing goes against the airs natural flow but does draw in "cleaner" air from the top of the room.

Any comments?

How do you like to have yours blowing?

CJ

Thank Post
    Comms Express

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnsonuk View Post
    On a similar subject should cabinet roof fans suck or blow?

http://www.comms-express.com/pd-9897...categoryId=134

Sucking air out goes with the natural flow of air in the cabinet but potentially draws air in the base where there is an increased chance of dust ingress.

Blowing goes against the airs natural flow but does draw in "cleaner" air from the top of the room.

Any comments?

How do you like to have yours blowing?

CJ
    Air, or rather the exhaust heat from the rear of equipment, should definitely be 'sucked' out of the rack. Fans that 'blow' air in an attempt to cool a rack air are completey pointless....they're not blowing conditioned air, merely recycling the air in you're server room. Secondly most fans are roof mounted, which is poor positioning to boot, Cooled conditioned air should be blown into the front of the rack....that is after all where manufacturers put the vents - front to back. Except in the case of routers and switches which require side to side cooling.

I personally wouldn't bother with fans at all, most data center professionals advise against rack mounted fans . If you're AC isn't doing a sufficient job of cooling the room a) get a bigger AC unit or b) go for air extraction units instead of fans. Or go for one of the APC solutions that distribute/channel air
    from the AC unit(s) into the correct places.

As for what rack to go for....... any of Rittal, APC, HP, Sun, Dell, IBM.
    Which one of those will depend on you're budget and the size of rack you need. HP are the only ones that do a 36U 1mtr deep rack.....and it's very nice.

Thank Post

Just HP doing 1000mm racks?

I've googled and found loads of 800 or 600 33u+ 1000mm deep racks, not just HP.

http://www.comms-express.com/pd-1877423937.htm
    http://www.keyzone.com/tech/vantage_19_cabinets.htm
    http://www.orionuk.biz/asp/productde...=4&optionID=72

Am I missing something here about the HP racks?

Now the 600/800 question! Should I go for a wider rack? Presumably it will increase the airflow as well as allow neater cabling. Its just 8" less space to access the back of the rack

CJ
    Last edited by cjohnsonuk; 19th March 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I've googled and found loads of 800 or 600 33u+ 1000mm deep racks, not just HP.

http://www.comms-express.com/pd-1877423937.htm
    http://www.keyzone.com/tech/vantage_19_cabinets.htm
    http://www.orionuk.biz/asp/productde...=4&optionID=72

Am I missing something here about the HP racks?

Now the 600/800 question! Should I go for a wider rack? Presumably it will increase the airflow as well as allow neater cabling. Its just 8" less space to access the back of the rack

CJ

It'll increase airflow into the wrong areas.....you'd need to bung the sides up if you want optimum airflow.
    But yes, the wider racks are better for cable access.

However with comfort cooling the airflow isn't particularly well directed anyway, so there's a certain amount of waste in terms of air not getting to where it should be going whether you go 600 or 800.

If you've got a modular switch and patch panels with a lot of ports in amongst you're servers i'd recommend the wider rack, but if it's just servers and a couple of fiber and copper patch panels you should be fine with a 600mm wide rack.

The 600mm racks do pose a problem in terms of getting cabling from the rear to the front, you don't have side channels so you have to clear some U space to run the cables from rear to front...plus you'd beed a brush strip taking up 1 or 2U or to get the cables to poke out for them to be routed to the server patch panel(s). It's a problem i'm grapping with at the moment. With the HP 10000 G2 there's not a lot of room to manouver cables. Certainly no room at the sides with servers installed. Everything is very tightly packed. In a way i wish i'd gone with the 800mm model....but the 600mm just means you have to make space and tack the cables using cable ties or hook and loop ties. Wish hp had a manual on how to do it well.

The HP 10000 is the only rack amongst those i mentioned that have 36u's....sure there are other racks that come in similar sizes but the HP racks i like because you've got a lot of accessories you can buy e.g removable side panels, rear extensions, lights etc.
    Last edited by torledo; 19th March 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the information on 600 vs 800.

You're right about 36u, I checked again and most go straight from 33 to 42. Is 42 U too high for you? Nearly all have removable side panels and some have the option of double doors on the front and back reducing the space needed in front or behind to open the doors. We're forever taking the doors off our existing cabs! There are pages of accessories on some of these sites too. Not sure how many we will go for. Only one I'm tempted with atm is a sliding drawer to put in with an old 15" tft and a narrow keyboard saving us about 500 on the deicated screen and keyboard drawers.

I'll get DT to set a project to build a folding vesa mount stand for the screen. We already have a rack mount kvm.

CJ

Thank Post
    Thanks for the information on 600 vs 800.

You're right about 36u, I checked again and most go straight from 33 to 42. Is 42 U too high for you? Nearly all have removable side panels and some have the option of double doors on the front and back reducing the space needed in front or behind to open the doors. We're forever taking the doors off our existing cabs! There are pages of accessories on some of these sites too. Not sure how many we will go for. Only one I'm tempted with atm is a sliding drawer to put in with an old 15" tft and a narrow keyboard saving us about 500 on the deicated screen and keyboard drawers.

I'll get DT to set a project to build a folding vesa mount stand for the screen. We already have a rack mount kvm.

CJ
    Yes 42U was too high...we have a drop ceiling in our server room and 42u would have sit almost flush with it - we needed some clearance.

The main reasons i went for the HP's was because they could be tied together with a small adapter kit and it had split doors in the rear for the all important rear access....

APC racks had by far the best accessories for cable access. They have really cool ceiling troughs for cable mgmt - you can even mount a ladder rack to one of them.......very elegant solution. Plus they have dedicated channels for mounting APC vertical pdu's in the rear. The HP's don't which i was a bit disappointed about. I'd say if you need and have the space for a full 42U go seriously consider the APC netshelter range.

For the hp's we've got the lockable doors and pull out tray that can hold up to 100kg. Have also got a TFT drawer which are expensive but nowhere near as expensive as hp's tft drawers with even the 15" models costing over a grand!!!!

i like the idea of fabricating something instead of the expense of a proper tft drawer which are just scandalously expensive. They're not even of any practical use with unix servers either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I use Mills cabinets for my needs - http://www.millsltd.com/

Thank Post
    Another vote for for the APC NetShelter... I have a 42u and the accessories list is immense!

I will be buying another soon.

Getting back to the UPS question too, it sounds like you have lots of 'little' UPSs - perhaps replacing 2x 1500 for a 3000 would help you out... the 3000VA SmartUPS is the same verticle size as a 1500VA plus you may be able to distribute your server loads better.

Thank Post
    Orion Server Cabinets and Server Racks Manufacturer has all types of Server Cabinets and Cabinet Accessories, check it out at Home - Orion Server Cabinets & Server Racks

Thank Post
    Wow - you must really like them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread