+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Video on network in Technical; Richie, the ERA is basically a licence for Off Air Recording, it is normally arranged via the LEA, but they ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Re: Video on network

Richie, the ERA is basically a licence for Off Air Recording, it is normally arranged via the LEA, but they send a form out / letter to tell you that you are covered and that you must follow the rules and regs etc... (or thats what NYCC did). For info on the ERA see here - http://www.era.org.uk/

As for progress, I have not got much further as companies are very slow at responding, I am still recording away from our ERA stuff, but it looks like I need to get some video editing software to try and clean some of the stuff up and maybe try a better way of getting the video into the PC rather than a TV tuner as the image quality can be iffy on older stuff.

Thank Post

Hi all,

We're also looking to do a somekind of a video library of the vhs and dvds that we have purchased. Almost all teaching staff have a laptop so it would be great if we could do a one big massive library and digitise the videos with some kind of hierachy per department/subject.

certainly some interesting comment on this topic and gives a good starting off point. I was wondering would something like real player server be good for this kind of thing? helix server?. This would be good for the bandwidth and also for the storage space as well? Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

By the way we have the buffalo tera station pro and have download the AD intregration firmware but its a bit flakey at the moment as its beta so hoping they would fix this.

Ashok.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

The other thing to be careful of is staff showing any old video to students (Harry Potter, etc)

http://www.filmbank.co.uk/default.asp for details about PVS licences from FilmBank who have agreements with most distributors.

Thank Post

I am using the original Buffalo Terrastore (the one without AD integration) and basically store everthing on that in Mpg format, and that works really well. It plays well over the network, doesn't kill our systems. We use Windows Media Player to play them and it works fine. I have written an Intranet page for the job, each subject has a page, and then I hyperlink to the file using the \\TERRASTORE\MEDIA\ENGLISH\TVPROG.mpg

I have got security setup on the Terrastore so as part of my logon script, it maps a V drive (V for videos) and the script has authentication written into it so it will authenticate again the terrastores local permissions as its not AD aware (the original that is) and that solves any authentication problems and allows them to play from the intranet system. So thats how I do it, and it works.

I also use the Buffalo Link Theatre media players, well worth the money (about £200) Wifi and Wired so that makes life very simple and easy.

Thank Post

Did someone mention that you *have* to make people sit through a copyright/license warning at the start of the video? Are you still putting those on the start of your videos and have you looked at a way to stop people skipping it? To me it's a pointless exercise as the kids don't even read the things they're asked to, but I know my management bods would be quite hot on "doing it right" legally-speaking.

Presumably the streaming method gives you more control over that aspect, but may rule out using some of your Buffalo gear.

Thank Post

Yup you do, afraid so, but mine only last 6 seconds so its good enough, and i havent made it none skipable, it just is so short it doesnt cause any problems. I think I can make it none-skippable using full video editing technologys, but TBH I want people using the system and then finalise those little annoying things later.

Thank Post

@John / whoever
    How many videos are you planning on converting? I've just done a quick straw poll of video numbers in 3 depts and have 260 already. I'm damned if I'm converting that many + other depts.

Has anyone had success with a "if you want a dvd / network version of $video, here's the kit...." approach?

Thank Post

We're likely to be going down that route - and there's definitely no way I'm having my IT tech staff doing hundreds of videos. We'll be getting depts to do their own - with training from us on how to do it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts

The PVS licence only allows you to show vhs or dvd stuff ripped to the network and screened is not covered.

Ben

Thank Post

So, in other words, any school that has a media server setup to provide centralised storage of files is breaking the law, even if they still have the original media and a PVS licence?
    Seems stupid - especially given that vhs tape, CDs and DVDs have limited life and suffer wear and tear

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts

Yup:

"Under the terms of the PVS Licence it is the licensees' responsibility to obtain physical copies of any films they wish to screen. They may obtain such copies on VHS video or DVD from legitimate retail or rental outlets."

The Film must be in VHS or DVD format.

There must be no cutting, editing or copying of the Film.

There must be no screenings on diffusion systems.

Not sure what a diffusion system would be but that may relate to distirbuted showing of the film.

Ben

Thank Post

Perhaps they need to update the wording of their licence.
    Looks like a media server is going to be going on the back burner I reckon.
    A shame, but nothing we can do about it.

Thank Post

There are loads of stuff out there, out of all our stuff that I have had so far loads of stuff is useable. Remember ERA covers many many things, EG BBC Bitesize purchased on VHS tape it was already shown on TV so you can say you got it that way etc you just need to think out of the box as it were.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I only mentioned PVS because it hadn't been mentioned already and there are a number of schools that allow staff to shove any dvd or video on in front of the kids.

Yes, you can't serve it across the network from a secondary encoded format (ie dvd ripped to mpeg) but it can be run from a network jukebox (played from the original media across the network) which was at one time a selling point for Avantis CD/DVD servers until people realised that it meant you *had to put the DVD in the DVD drive to watch it and not just have the image stored on the server* (hmm ... back to the white elephant thread)

Thank Post

Yup Tony's got it with those "lovely" CD / DVD Server thingys (thankfully I never had the joys of those things!) I think there may well be a licencing scheme on the way to allow you to do many things thats the impression I got from BECTA when I last had contact with them on this subject, so who knows

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast